Re: Downpilot (Re: [fearnwhiskey] AMC back catalog)

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
      Yep, that's them. I guess I couldn't bring myself to type "Cow" but I
      liked the clips on the site. Tell them to come up to Houghton!

      Carl "Bela Fleck's playing here in a few weeks" Z.

      --On Thursday, October 2, 2003 7:01 PM +0000 samchecker
      <mwyatt@...> wrote:

      > The
      >> same site has links to Two Car Garage, who sounds like the rougher,
      > more
      >> rocking "Long Cut" side of the Uncle Tupelo spectrum, crunch with some
      >> pedal steel.
      >
      > I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
      > dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so
      > on their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring
      > has made them a live fireball of a band. So catch 'em live if you can,
      > and I bet their next CD will be a real corker.
    • Wilson, Carl
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
        Mark wrote:
        >I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
        >dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so
        >on their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring
        >has made them a live fireball of a band.

        The CD Now site has a nice writeup, especially about their live show. (Brian
        Henneman reportedly said at a gig where they were opening for the Bottle
        Rockets that he felt like he "should be tuning some guitars or something" --
        a ref. to his days as guitar tech for Uncle Tupelo.) The sound samples there
        were so-so -- nice feel, but the lead singer's voice sounds kinda mannered
        and too thin to carry off the Farrar/Tweedy/Steve Earle impression he's
        trying to make. But then so did Tweedy's voice on those early UT albums. So
        I would keep an eye/ear peeled for them to grow, if they keep it together
        long enough, into something stronger.

        carl w.
      • Dave Purcell
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
          Mark wrote:

          <<I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
          dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so on
          their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring has
          made them a live fireball of a band. So catch 'em live if you can, and I
          bet their next CD will be a real corker.>>

          What he said. We played a show with them a couple months back. They're
          amazingly tight and energetic live and they have the early Tupelo thing
          down cold. I suspect they'll learn to grow beyond that and Micah has a
          voice that's perfectly worn and gravelly beyond his years. I hope they
          don't burn out on the road, they have promise.

          dp