Downpilot (Re: [fearnwhiskey] AMC back catalog)

  • samchecker
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

      > --On Thursday, October 2, 2003 5:12 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@g...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/downpilot2 has a few MP3s.
      >
      > Thanks Chris. It reminds me a bit of Ed Harcourt, lush & melodic. The
      > same site has links to Two Car Garage, who sounds like the rougher,
      more
      > rocking "Long Cut" side of the Uncle Tupelo spectrum, crunch with some
      > pedal steel.

      I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
      dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so
      on their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring
      has made them a live fireball of a band. So catch 'em live if you can,
      and I bet their next CD will be a real corker.

      Mark W.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
        Yep, that's them. I guess I couldn't bring myself to type "Cow" but I
        liked the clips on the site. Tell them to come up to Houghton!

        Carl "Bela Fleck's playing here in a few weeks" Z.

        --On Thursday, October 2, 2003 7:01 PM +0000 samchecker
        <mwyatt@...> wrote:

        > The
        >> same site has links to Two Car Garage, who sounds like the rougher,
        > more
        >> rocking "Long Cut" side of the Uncle Tupelo spectrum, crunch with some
        >> pedal steel.
        >
        > I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
        > dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so
        > on their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring
        > has made them a live fireball of a band. So catch 'em live if you can,
        > and I bet their next CD will be a real corker.
      • Wilson, Carl
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
          Mark wrote:
          >I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
          >dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so
          >on their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring
          >has made them a live fireball of a band.

          The CD Now site has a nice writeup, especially about their live show. (Brian
          Henneman reportedly said at a gig where they were opening for the Bottle
          Rockets that he felt like he "should be tuning some guitars or something" --
          a ref. to his days as guitar tech for Uncle Tupelo.) The sound samples there
          were so-so -- nice feel, but the lead singer's voice sounds kinda mannered
          and too thin to carry off the Farrar/Tweedy/Steve Earle impression he's
          trying to make. But then so did Tweedy's voice on those early UT albums. So
          I would keep an eye/ear peeled for them to grow, if they keep it together
          long enough, into something stronger.

          carl w.
        • Dave Purcell
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
            Mark wrote:

            <<I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
            dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so on
            their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring has
            made them a live fireball of a band. So catch 'em live if you can, and I
            bet their next CD will be a real corker.>>

            What he said. We played a show with them a couple months back. They're
            amazingly tight and energetic live and they have the early Tupelo thing
            down cold. I suspect they'll learn to grow beyond that and Micah has a
            voice that's perfectly worn and gravelly beyond his years. I hope they
            don't burn out on the road, they have promise.

            dp