Downpilot (Re: [fearnwhiskey] AMC back catalog)

  • Chris Hill
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/downpilot2 has a few MP3s. "Everyday Dream
      of the West" is on a mix cd I just made for another list - it's the
      most addictive, imo.

      http://www.downpilot.com/ is their site. They're playing a few
      shows here in Seattle soon - 10/4 w/ the Mountain Goats and another
      later in Oct. Their violinist also plays/sings w/ Paul Austin &
      Terri Moeller's Transmissionary Six group.

      Chris
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
        --On Thursday, October 2, 2003 5:12 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
        wrote:

        > http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/downpilot2 has a few MP3s.

        Thanks Chris. It reminds me a bit of Ed Harcourt, lush & melodic. The
        same site has links to Two Car Garage, who sounds like the rougher, more
        rocking "Long Cut" side of the Uncle Tupelo spectrum, crunch with some
        pedal steel.

        Carl Z.
      • samchecker
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

          > --On Thursday, October 2, 2003 5:12 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@g...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/downpilot2 has a few MP3s.
          >
          > Thanks Chris. It reminds me a bit of Ed Harcourt, lush & melodic. The
          > same site has links to Two Car Garage, who sounds like the rougher,
          more
          > rocking "Long Cut" side of the Uncle Tupelo spectrum, crunch with some
          > pedal steel.

          I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
          dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so
          on their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring
          has made them a live fireball of a band. So catch 'em live if you can,
          and I bet their next CD will be a real corker.

          Mark W.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
            Yep, that's them. I guess I couldn't bring myself to type "Cow" but I
            liked the clips on the site. Tell them to come up to Houghton!

            Carl "Bela Fleck's playing here in a few weeks" Z.

            --On Thursday, October 2, 2003 7:01 PM +0000 samchecker
            <mwyatt@...> wrote:

            > The
            >> same site has links to Two Car Garage, who sounds like the rougher,
            > more
            >> rocking "Long Cut" side of the Uncle Tupelo spectrum, crunch with some
            >> pedal steel.
            >
            > I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
            > dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so
            > on their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring
            > has made them a live fireball of a band. So catch 'em live if you can,
            > and I bet their next CD will be a real corker.
          • Wilson, Carl
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
              Mark wrote:
              >I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
              >dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so
              >on their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring
              >has made them a live fireball of a band.

              The CD Now site has a nice writeup, especially about their live show. (Brian
              Henneman reportedly said at a gig where they were opening for the Bottle
              Rockets that he felt like he "should be tuning some guitars or something" --
              a ref. to his days as guitar tech for Uncle Tupelo.) The sound samples there
              were so-so -- nice feel, but the lead singer's voice sounds kinda mannered
              and too thin to carry off the Farrar/Tweedy/Steve Earle impression he's
              trying to make. But then so did Tweedy's voice on those early UT albums. So
              I would keep an eye/ear peeled for them to grow, if they keep it together
              long enough, into something stronger.

              carl w.
            • Dave Purcell
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
                Mark wrote:

                <<I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
                dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so on
                their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring has
                made them a live fireball of a band. So catch 'em live if you can, and I
                bet their next CD will be a real corker.>>

                What he said. We played a show with them a couple months back. They're
                amazingly tight and energetic live and they have the early Tupelo thing
                down cold. I suspect they'll learn to grow beyond that and Micah has a
                voice that's perfectly worn and gravelly beyond his years. I hope they
                don't burn out on the road, they have promise.

                dp