Re: Pitchfork's guide to used CDs

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...>
      wrote:

      > Pitchfork has this list of the fifty most popular CDs you'll find
      in used
      > shops. I've seen virtually all of them at one time or another.
      Oddly, I
      > have never seen AMC's _Everclear_ used. The person writing the
      review
      > seemed to have a field day slamming it, so I'm pasting it here.

      The firewatercircus had a fiekld day slamming Mr Ott in return for
      his rapid dispatch of C$C's Ask Question's Later.
      Seems the guy ain't 100% on the button on most of these.
      releasing pet hatreds on otherwise ok material, can't tell if he's
      right anywhere.
      I thunk everclear was a rarity now anyway. About time that Eitzel got
      the reissues sorted innit?
      Stevo
      Np Bob Dylan Live '75 Isis

      > http://pitchforkmedia.com/features/castoffs-and-cutouts/
      >
      > rob
      >
      > --- snip ---
      > 24: American Music Club: Everclear
      >
      > Lots of people will tell you Mark Eitzel is an unheralded
      songwriting
      > genius. Fuck them: this is a goth album, with lyrics like, "Your
      > ex-girlfriend told me you spent all yesterday crying," and if
      Eitzel is
      > anything, he could be the one American singer who could drink with
      Shane
      > McGowan. Flitting around with every style of music imaginable,
      unabashed
      > in his weepy lyrics, Eitzel was a self-pitying, paralyzed drunk
      who,
      > around the time of Everclear (named after the brand name grain
      alcohol),
      > was getting his shit together for the first time following some
      late-80s
      > success in Europe.
      >
      > Hideously produced for Alias-- the same label that fucked up Yo La
      Tengo's
      > May I Sing With Me-- Everclear is an overstuffed, underdeveloped
      album
      > drenched in a plate of reverb on par with Queensryche. Arguments
      about his
      > critical import circa Everclear are made meaningless by his
      agonizing
      > mid-90s sellout. Incredibly, neither Paul Thomas Anderson nor
      Cameron
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
        --On Thursday, October 2, 2003 3:38 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...>
        wrote:

        > I thunk everclear was a rarity now anyway. About time that Eitzel got
        > the reissues sorted innit?

        I'm pretty sure that Alias has never let _Everclear_ go out of print. I
        agree with Ott that the disc had a lot of reverb, but that's one of the
        things I like about the album (that goes for most of Neko Case's recorded
        output as well). I wish more bands imitated the lush production choices
        AMC made on _Everclear_...

        Carl Z.
      • Chris Hill
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
          >I thunk everclear was a rarity now anyway. About time that Eitzel
          >got the reissues sorted innit?
          >Stevo
          >Np Bob Dylan Live '75 Isis

          Have read that Tom Mallon is the sticking point for further AMC
          reissues, but that's second-hand info. Would love a remastered
          _California_.

          And I see _San Francisco_ twice as much in the used bins, and _West_
          most of all. Agreed that the article reveals biases, but that's
          Pitchfork's slant anyway - snide and provocative.

          Chris
          np: Downpilot, _Leaving Not Arriving_ - local band, highly
          recommended if you dug Sanford Arms' album. Male vox w/ female
          harmonies and violin, like a sweet Wilco laid over slow Son Volt
          music.
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
            --On Thursday, October 2, 2003 4:53 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
            wrote:

            > Have read that Tom Mallon is the sticking point for further AMC
            > reissues, but that's second-hand info. Would love a remastered
            > _California_.

            Amen to that. I don't know how much of it is Mallon or other red tape --
            didn't Warner Brothers have _California_ and _United Kingdom_ on their
            release schedule when they dropped Eitzel in '98? I assumed that dropping
            him shelved the reissues, which is a shame, but at least they got _Engine_
            back into print.

            > And I see _San Francisco_ twice as much in the used bins, and _West_
            > most of all. Agreed that the article reveals biases, but that's
            > Pitchfork's slant anyway - snide and provocative.

            And those are -- in order -- my two least favorite Eitzel recordings.
            _West_ is pleasant enough, but _San Francisco_ is the disc with atrocious
            production and the worst arrangements of the band's career.

            > Chris
            > np: Downpilot, _Leaving Not Arriving_ - local band, highly
            > recommended if you dug Sanford Arms' album. Male vox w/ female
            > harmonies and violin, like a sweet Wilco laid over slow Son Volt
            > music.

            Any mp3s out there?