Pitchfork's guide to used CDs

  • Rob Jefferson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
      Pitchfork has this list of the fifty most popular CDs you'll find in used
      shops. I've seen virtually all of them at one time or another. Oddly, I
      have never seen AMC's _Everclear_ used. The person writing the review
      seemed to have a field day slamming it, so I'm pasting it here.

      http://pitchforkmedia.com/features/castoffs-and-cutouts/

      rob

      --- snip ---
      24: American Music Club: Everclear

      Lots of people will tell you Mark Eitzel is an unheralded songwriting
      genius. Fuck them: this is a goth album, with lyrics like, "Your
      ex-girlfriend told me you spent all yesterday crying," and if Eitzel is
      anything, he could be the one American singer who could drink with Shane
      McGowan. Flitting around with every style of music imaginable, unabashed
      in his weepy lyrics, Eitzel was a self-pitying, paralyzed drunk who,
      around the time of Everclear (named after the brand name grain alcohol),
      was getting his shit together for the first time following some late-80s
      success in Europe.

      Hideously produced for Alias-- the same label that fucked up Yo La Tengo's
      May I Sing With Me-- Everclear is an overstuffed, underdeveloped album
      drenched in a plate of reverb on par with Queensryche. Arguments about his
      critical import circa Everclear are made meaningless by his agonizing
      mid-90s sellout. Incredibly, neither Paul Thomas Anderson nor Cameron
      Crowe have used Mark Eitzel songs in any of their films.
      --- snip ---
    • Stevo
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...>
        wrote:

        > Pitchfork has this list of the fifty most popular CDs you'll find
        in used
        > shops. I've seen virtually all of them at one time or another.
        Oddly, I
        > have never seen AMC's _Everclear_ used. The person writing the
        review
        > seemed to have a field day slamming it, so I'm pasting it here.

        The firewatercircus had a fiekld day slamming Mr Ott in return for
        his rapid dispatch of C$C's Ask Question's Later.
        Seems the guy ain't 100% on the button on most of these.
        releasing pet hatreds on otherwise ok material, can't tell if he's
        right anywhere.
        I thunk everclear was a rarity now anyway. About time that Eitzel got
        the reissues sorted innit?
        Stevo
        Np Bob Dylan Live '75 Isis

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
          --On Thursday, October 2, 2003 3:38 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...>
          wrote:

          > I thunk everclear was a rarity now anyway. About time that Eitzel got
          > the reissues sorted innit?

          I'm pretty sure that Alias has never let _Everclear_ go out of print. I
          agree with Ott that the disc had a lot of reverb, but that's one of the
          things I like about the album (that goes for most of Neko Case's recorded
          output as well). I wish more bands imitated the lush production choices
          AMC made on _Everclear_...

          Carl Z.
        • Chris Hill
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
            >I thunk everclear was a rarity now anyway. About time that Eitzel
            >got the reissues sorted innit?
            >Stevo
            >Np Bob Dylan Live '75 Isis

            Have read that Tom Mallon is the sticking point for further AMC
            reissues, but that's second-hand info. Would love a remastered
            _California_.

            And I see _San Francisco_ twice as much in the used bins, and _West_
            most of all. Agreed that the article reveals biases, but that's
            Pitchfork's slant anyway - snide and provocative.

            Chris
            np: Downpilot, _Leaving Not Arriving_ - local band, highly
            recommended if you dug Sanford Arms' album. Male vox w/ female
            harmonies and violin, like a sweet Wilco laid over slow Son Volt
            music.
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
              --On Thursday, October 2, 2003 4:53 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
              wrote:

              > Have read that Tom Mallon is the sticking point for further AMC
              > reissues, but that's second-hand info. Would love a remastered
              > _California_.

              Amen to that. I don't know how much of it is Mallon or other red tape --
              didn't Warner Brothers have _California_ and _United Kingdom_ on their
              release schedule when they dropped Eitzel in '98? I assumed that dropping
              him shelved the reissues, which is a shame, but at least they got _Engine_
              back into print.

              > And I see _San Francisco_ twice as much in the used bins, and _West_
              > most of all. Agreed that the article reveals biases, but that's
              > Pitchfork's slant anyway - snide and provocative.

              And those are -- in order -- my two least favorite Eitzel recordings.
              _West_ is pleasant enough, but _San Francisco_ is the disc with atrocious
              production and the worst arrangements of the band's career.

              > Chris
              > np: Downpilot, _Leaving Not Arriving_ - local band, highly
              > recommended if you dug Sanford Arms' album. Male vox w/ female
              > harmonies and violin, like a sweet Wilco laid over slow Son Volt
              > music.

              Any mp3s out there?