RE: [fearnwhiskey] Rock CIty [was Playlist: Fear & Whiskey, 9/29/03]

  • Dave Purcell
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
      > Rock City -- Feel
      > [featuring Chris Bell and Jody Stephens, later of Big Star.]

      Jody was the keynote speaker of the second Midpoint Music Festival in
      Cincinnati last weekend. He's a close friend of one of the local music
      editors, so I got to hang out with him a couple of nights. Wow, what a
      genuinely sweet guy. I asked him about handling the gap between Big
      Star's commercial and critical appeal. He's as far from bitter as you
      can get -- said Big Star opened a lot of doors for him and continues to
      do so, and he's had a great life. Handsome fellow, too...the ladies were
      swooning.

      Someone asked him about the Rock City record. Said it was so long ago
      that he didn't remember some of the songs and had to be assured he
      actually played on them. ;-> Seemed to think it was a fun record,
      though.

      dp

      -- Dave Purcell
      Pike 27: http://www.pike27.net/
      Radio Free Newport: http://www.pike27.net/rfn/
    • Perfect Sound Forever
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
        You could say that Rock City is in Big Star mode but the fact is that RC
        proceeded Big Star. Even though Bell and Stephens were in the band and
        Chilton guested on some of the recordings, the main singer/songwriter was
        Thomas Eubanks (who gets a writing credit on BS's #1 Record). On the RC
        album, you get to hear some of Bell's songs that would also make their way
        to #1 Record also.

        Best,
        Jason G
      • Mock the DJ
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2003
          So, i'm a week late on commenting on this Karl's playlist (which is par for
          the course, since hotmail is delivering the messages into my inbox about 2
          days late), however, I must say, I think he might have done a better Carl
          show than me!

          >From: Karl Jefferson <jeffer@...>

          >I had forgotten that this was BMI season on WRCT. So, instead of my
          >original idea (which was more on the old-time side than anything else), it
          >wound up turning into "give royalties to my favorite artists".
          >
          >Gladys -- Drink Myself to Sleep
          > [A request from the Mockster]

          Which is the reason why I had to put in this request from my old friends!

          http://msnmessenger-download.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2003
            Is this a music discussion list or teh internet adaptation of Multiplicity?

            Carl 1

            --On Tuesday, October 7, 2003 10:25 AM -0400 Mock the DJ