Re: Playlist: Fear & Whiskey, 9/29/03

  • thekrueg1
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
      So Rob, what's this from? Worth acquiring?

      > Rock City -- Feel
      > [featuring Chris Bell and Jody Stephens, later of Big Star.]

      Tom (who thinks that Chris Bell CD is heartbreakingly fine)
    • Dave Purcell
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
        > Rock City -- Feel
        > [featuring Chris Bell and Jody Stephens, later of Big Star.]

        Jody was the keynote speaker of the second Midpoint Music Festival in
        Cincinnati last weekend. He's a close friend of one of the local music
        editors, so I got to hang out with him a couple of nights. Wow, what a
        genuinely sweet guy. I asked him about handling the gap between Big
        Star's commercial and critical appeal. He's as far from bitter as you
        can get -- said Big Star opened a lot of doors for him and continues to
        do so, and he's had a great life. Handsome fellow, too...the ladies were
        swooning.

        Someone asked him about the Rock City record. Said it was so long ago
        that he didn't remember some of the songs and had to be assured he
        actually played on them. ;-> Seemed to think it was a fun record,
        though.

        dp

        -- Dave Purcell
        Pike 27: http://www.pike27.net/
        Radio Free Newport: http://www.pike27.net/rfn/
      • Perfect Sound Forever
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
          You could say that Rock City is in Big Star mode but the fact is that RC
          proceeded Big Star. Even though Bell and Stephens were in the band and
          Chilton guested on some of the recordings, the main singer/songwriter was
          Thomas Eubanks (who gets a writing credit on BS's #1 Record). On the RC
          album, you get to hear some of Bell's songs that would also make their way
          to #1 Record also.

          Best,
          Jason G
        • Mock the DJ
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2003
            So, i'm a week late on commenting on this Karl's playlist (which is par for
            the course, since hotmail is delivering the messages into my inbox about 2
            days late), however, I must say, I think he might have done a better Carl
            show than me!

            >From: Karl Jefferson <jeffer@...>

            >I had forgotten that this was BMI season on WRCT. So, instead of my
            >original idea (which was more on the old-time side than anything else), it
            >wound up turning into "give royalties to my favorite artists".
            >
            >Gladys -- Drink Myself to Sleep
            > [A request from the Mockster]

            Which is the reason why I had to put in this request from my old friends!

            http://msnmessenger-download.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2003
              Is this a music discussion list or teh internet adaptation of Multiplicity?

              Carl 1

              --On Tuesday, October 7, 2003 10:25 AM -0400 Mock the DJ