Playlist: Fear & Whiskey, 9/29/03

  • Rob Jefferson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      I had forgotten that this was BMI season on WRCT. So, instead of my
      original idea (which was more on the old-time side than anything else), it
      wound up turning into "give royalties to my favorite artists". Anyway,
      here's monday's setlist:

      Town and Country -- Nonstop Dancer
      Gastr Del Sol -- Mouth Canyon
      My Morning Jacket -- Golden
      Iris DeMent -- When Love Was Young

      Robbie Fulks -- I Told Her Lies
      [One of my favorite songs about romantic duplicity]
      Cheryl Wheeler -- Don't Forget the Guns
      Drive-By Truckers -- Marry Me
      Trailer Bride -- Mach 1
      Gladys -- Drink Myself to Sleep
      [A request from the Mockster]

      Scud Mountain Boys -- Scratch Ticket
      Slobberbone -- Trust Jesus
      Richard Buckner -- Lil Wallet Picture
      Edith Frost -- Easy To Love

      The Karl Hendricks Trio -- Thank God We Have Limes
      Rock City -- Feel
      [featuring Chris Bell and Jody Stephens, later of Big Star.]
      X -- The World's a Mess; It's in My Kiss
      American Music Club -- Room Above the Club
      Alejandro Escovedo -- Broken Bottle

      Jenny Toomey -- Breezewood, PA
      Herman Dune -- Why Would That Hurt (If You Never Loved Me)
      Soledad Brothers -- Cadillac Hips
      Bob Mould -- Classifieds
      Palace Music -- Arise, Therefore

      Silkworm -- Italian Platinum -- Bourbon Beard
      Neko Case -- Blacklisted -- Deep red Bells
      Blackstone Valley Sinners -- Slater Mill
      The Replacements -- Unsatisfied
      Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra -- untitled(?)

      It wasn't that great, I know, but at least it didn't degenerate into
      playing tracks by bands with names such as Prostitute Disfigurement and
      Gorgasm. :)

      rob
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
        RobKarl played:

        > Rock City -- Feel
        > [featuring Chris Bell and Jody Stephens, later of Big Star.]

        Does this disc sound much like Big Star, or Bell's solo album?

        Carl Z.
      • thekrueg1
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
          So Rob, what's this from? Worth acquiring?

          > Rock City -- Feel
          > [featuring Chris Bell and Jody Stephens, later of Big Star.]

          Tom (who thinks that Chris Bell CD is heartbreakingly fine)
        • Dave Purcell
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
            > Rock City -- Feel
            > [featuring Chris Bell and Jody Stephens, later of Big Star.]

            Jody was the keynote speaker of the second Midpoint Music Festival in
            Cincinnati last weekend. He's a close friend of one of the local music
            editors, so I got to hang out with him a couple of nights. Wow, what a
            genuinely sweet guy. I asked him about handling the gap between Big
            Star's commercial and critical appeal. He's as far from bitter as you
            can get -- said Big Star opened a lot of doors for him and continues to
            do so, and he's had a great life. Handsome fellow, too...the ladies were
            swooning.

            Someone asked him about the Rock City record. Said it was so long ago
            that he didn't remember some of the songs and had to be assured he
            actually played on them. ;-> Seemed to think it was a fun record,
            though.

            dp

            -- Dave Purcell
            Pike 27: http://www.pike27.net/
            Radio Free Newport: http://www.pike27.net/rfn/
          • Perfect Sound Forever
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
              You could say that Rock City is in Big Star mode but the fact is that RC
              proceeded Big Star. Even though Bell and Stephens were in the band and
              Chilton guested on some of the recordings, the main singer/songwriter was
              Thomas Eubanks (who gets a writing credit on BS's #1 Record). On the RC
              album, you get to hear some of Bell's songs that would also make their way
              to #1 Record also.

              Best,
              Jason G
            • Mock the DJ
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 2003
                So, i'm a week late on commenting on this Karl's playlist (which is par for
                the course, since hotmail is delivering the messages into my inbox about 2
                days late), however, I must say, I think he might have done a better Carl
                show than me!

                >From: Karl Jefferson <jeffer@...>

                >I had forgotten that this was BMI season on WRCT. So, instead of my
                >original idea (which was more on the old-time side than anything else), it
                >wound up turning into "give royalties to my favorite artists".
                >
                >Gladys -- Drink Myself to Sleep
                > [A request from the Mockster]

                Which is the reason why I had to put in this request from my old friends!

                http://msnmessenger-download.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 7, 2003
                  Is this a music discussion list or teh internet adaptation of Multiplicity?

                  Carl 1

                  --On Tuesday, October 7, 2003 10:25 AM -0400 Mock the DJ