RE: [fearnwhiskey] upcoming releases ranked!

  • Wilson, Carl
    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 2, 2002
      > I'm a little skeered of Neko's album,
      because I thought her Canadian Amp EP was just OK.

      Except for a couple of cuts, I agree about Canadian Amp, but it was really
      just a hobby project - it didn't even get a full release. I'd be very
      surprised if Blacklisted didn't carry on or even improve on the high
      standard of Furnace Room Lullaby, and I think the Burns-Covertino backup
      should sound great.

      On the Sleater-Kinney disc - there's an interesting review in the new Magnet
      that remarks that it's got a fair amount of 9/11 content, and winds up
      saying something like, "That the message is more important is no reason to
      skimp on the medium." I got the impression the reviewer found the disc
      uneven. Of course, I've never quite been on the S-K "most important rock
      band in the world" bandwagon, though I like them a lot.

      Also upcoming, Steve, though not till October - the new Destroyer album, out
      on Merge, Oct 4. Word has it that it's quite a change in sound, since the
      band is all different from the personnel on Streethawk and Thief -- Dan
      describes it as "Richard Harris meets Crazy Horse."

      carl w.
    • jlswedberg
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 16, 2002
        Yeah, kind of! Of course, I already sold the record back, so I can't
        listen to it *again* to be sure. <g>

        --Jamie "gosh, that was quick" S.