Re: [fearnwhiskey] upcoming releases ranked!

    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 2, 2002
      --On Friday, August 2, 2002 9:41 AM -0400 Steve Gardner <steve@...>
      wrote:

      > 29. Jay Farrar (ex-Son Volt/Uncle Tupelo) ThirdShiftGrottoSlack (EP)
      > (Artemis)\

      Let me guess, you weren't a fan of _Sebastapol_? The EP consists of tracks
      left over from the album and as such isn't bad. The piano-based song (at
      this point titles and lyrics from Farrar are a blur to me) may get on
      Monday's show.

      The releases ranked above that I'm anticipating the most are the Neko Case,
      Mekons and Kelly Willis discs. I think the Linda Thompson disc had a July
      release and isn't on the list, but that's damn good as well.

      > don't know 'em:
      >
      > Paul Krassner Irony Lives (Artemis)

      Muckraking humorist, and a natural fit on a label run by Danny Goldberg.

      > Pulp We Love Life (Sanctuary/Rough Trade)

      Veteran UK popsters, on what appears to be a resurrection of Rough Trade's
      US branch. Rough Trade was a big part of my listening diet in the late 80s.

      > Victory at Sea The Good Night (Kimchee)

      Mathy, noisy rock. Many arpeggios.

      > Franklin Bruno A Cat May Look at a Queen (Absolutely Kosher)

      Bruno writes very witty jazzy/folky singer songwriter stuff.

      > Kahil El'Zabar Love Outside of Dreams (Delmark)

      Onetime (and maybe present?) head of Chicago's Association for the
      Advancement of Creative Musicians, he's a longtime jazz percussionist who's
      led the Ethnic Heritage Ensemble (which sounds like some of Threadgill's
      Air and Sextet work) and his own Ritual Trio.

      > Rob Mazurek Silver Spines (Delmark)

      Chicago jazz horn player who appears on most Thrill Jockey/Jim O'Rourke
      recordings.

      > Saturnalia Trio/Quartet Mercury Rising (New Weave)

      Hippie-ish medieval music/new age music. I think I'd rather hear the Andy
      Dick record.

      > Steve Tibbetts A Man About a Horse (ECM)

      One of the louder acts on ECM, Tibbetts makes electric guitar soundscapes
      that fans of Sonny Sharrock and Alan Licht may enjoy.

      Carl Z.
    • jlswedberg
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 16, 2002
        Yeah, kind of! Of course, I already sold the record back, so I can't
        listen to it *again* to be sure. <g>

        --Jamie "gosh, that was quick" S.