Re: [fearnwhiskey] upcoming reissues ranked!

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2002
      Ooo, goodie. More...these are much harder to rank, though, because 1) I've
      heard some and not others and 2) some, like Charlie Parker, are legends that
      I don't get into. But what the heck, I'm gonna rank 'em anyways. It's just
      for fun, right?

      1. OST 24 Hour Party People (ffrr)
      2. DVD The Damned Final Damnation (Sanctuary/Castle)
      3. The Three O'Clock Arrive Without Travelling/Ever After (two-fer
      w/track-by-track band commentary) (Collectors' Choice)
      4. Black Sabbath Past Lives (from 1975 w/poster and guitar pick; two CDs)
      (Sanctuary)
      5. Motörhead Keep Us on the Road: Live 1977, Tear Ya Down: The Rarities (two
      CDs) (Sanctuary/Metal-Is)
      6. The Who My Generation - Deluxe Edition (MCA)
      7. The Rolling Stones (a bunch)
      8. Elmore James Dust My Broom (Tomato)
      9. The Ramones End of the Century, Pleasant Dreams, Subterranean Jungle and
      Too Tough to Die (Warner Archives/Rhino)
      10. Townes Van Zandt The Nashville Sessions and Townes Van Zandt (Tomato)
      11. The Damned Damned, Damned, Damned and Music for Pleasure
      (Sanctuary/Castle)
      12. Jason & the Scorchers Still Standing (EMI)
      13. Louis Jordan World Transcriptions (Storyville)
      14. Elvis Presley Roots Revolution: The Louisiana Hayride Recordings
      (Tomato)
      15. Louis Armstrong Bluebird's Best: Sings & Swings (Bluebird)
      16. Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin', Swingin' Machine, Wild Man
      on
      the Loose and The Word from Mose (Collectables)
      17. Mance Lipscomb Texas Country Blues (Arhoolie)
      18. SACD Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong Ella and Louie (Verve)
      19. SACD Muddy Waters Folk Singer (Chess)
      20. Booker T. & the MGs Essentials (Rhino)
      21. Lionel Hampton Bluebird's Best: Ring Dem Bells (Bluebird)
      22. The Posies At Least, At Last (four-CD box set) (Not Lame)
      23. Isaac Hayes Groove-a-thon (Fantasy)
      24. Microphones Song Islands (singles compilation w/Mirah and Calvin Johnson
      guesting) (K)
      25. Lightnin' Hopkins In the Key of Lightnin' (Tomato)
      26. Johnny Cash Live at Madison Square Garden 1969, Silver, Sings Ballads of
      the True West and Songs of Our Soil (Columbia/Legacy)
      27. Junior Kimbrough You Better Run: The Essential (Fat Possum)
      28. Lena Horne Bluebird's Best: The Young Star (Bluebird)
      29. Rick Danko Best of (Arista)
      30. Last Poets Last Poets (Fuel 2000)
      31. Sam Moore Plenty Good Lovin?: The Lost Solo Album (2K)
      32. Ray Charles Essential Collection (Goldenlane)
      33. Louis Prima The Wildest! (Capitol Jazz)
      34. Tito Puente King of Kings (BMG Heritage)
      35. Fairport Convention 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection
      (A&M)
      36. DVD Audio R.E.M. Reveal (Warner Bros.)
      37. The Everly Bothers A Night at the Royal Albert Hall (Stardust)
      38. Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits (Hendrix)
      39. DVD Keith Richards & the Expensive Winos Live at the Hollywood Palladium
      (Virgin)

      Jazz stuff I'll let someone else rank:

      Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Takes Charge (Blue Note)
      Bill Evans Alone (w/six bonus tracks) (Verve)
      Rahsaan Roland Kirk Case of the 3-Sided Dream in Audio Color, Left and
      Right, Other Folk's Music, Prepare Thyself to Deal with a Miracle and
      Rahsaan, Rahsaan (Collectables)
      SACD John Coltrane A Love Supreme (Impulse!)
      Clifford Brown & Max Roach At Basin Street (Verve)
      Charles Mingus Mingus Moves (Collectables)
      Charlie Parker Bird After Dark (Savoy Jazz)
      Oscar Peterson Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz (Jazz Alliance)
      Thelonious Monk Live at Newport 1963 and 1965 (two CDs), Monk and Monk's
      Dream (Columbia/Legacy)
      The Quintet (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Charles Mingus, Bud Powell
      and Max Roach) Jazz at Massey Hall (Debut)
      Sonny Rollins Plus 4 (Prestige)
      Cecil Taylor, Gigi Gryce and Donald Byrd At Newport (Verve LP Reproductions)
      Joe Turner The Midnight Special (OJC/Pablo)
      McCoy Tyner The Greeting (OJC/Milestone)
      Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson and Cannonball Adderley Cleanhead and Cannonball
      (Milestone)
      Ben Webster Plays Duke Ellington (Storyville)
      Bill Evans Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz (Jazz Alliance)
      Dave Brubeck Quartet Jazz at the College of the Pacific, Volume Two
      (Fantasy/OJC)
      John Coltrane Lush Life (Prestige)
      Miles Davis Filles de Killimanjaro, In a Silent Way, Water Babies
      (Columbia/Legacy), Streamin' (Prestige) and The Last Word: The Warner Bros.
      Years (four CDs) (Rhino/Warner Archives)
      Eric Dolphy Far Cry (New Jazz)
      David "Fathead" Newman Comes On, House of David and Straight Ahead
      (Collectables)
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2002
        --On Friday, August 2, 2002 10:01 AM -0400 Steve Gardner
        <steve@...> wrote:

        > Jazz stuff I'll let someone else rank:

        I have no idea what the remasterings and packaging sounds like, but the
        titles that stuck out for me were the Rahsaan Roland Kirk and the Quintet
        reissues. The reissue I'm most likely to buy is the Who record.