Re: [fearnwhiskey] upcoming releases ranked!

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 2, 2002
      >There's lot of good stuff out (and some goofy stuff I couldn't resist
      >including) towards the end of the month -- August 20th in particular looks
      >to be quite strong. Has anyone heard the Elizabeth Cook or Mekons
      >releases? I know the Mekons have done some live events based on _Oooh_
      >over the past year...

      I just heard one song from Elizabeth Cook on the new CD-X (mainstream
      country industry promo compilation disc.) It was about as slick sounding as
      you'd expect from someone that is making a serious run at mainstream
      country, but it was still good. I remember thinking that she sounded even
      *more* twangy on this song than I remembered her on her demo. That, I
      suppose, is promising.

      Since you guys had all the fun ranking AMC and Eitzel albums the other day,
      I want to do the same with the upcoming records. I've gotten really good at
      judging records before ever even hearing them (<g>) so I think I can be
      pretty accurate. Here they are, the best at the top of the list and the
      worst are at the bottom:

      1. Bright Eyes Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the
      Ground
      (Saddle Creek)
      2. Sleater-Kinney One Beat (Kill Rock Stars)
      3. Spoon Kill the Moonlight (Merge)
      4. Peter Bruntnell Ends of the Earth (Back Porch)
      5. Neko Case Blacklisted (Bloodshot)
      6. Milemarker Satanic Versus (EP; co-produced by Steve Albini) (Jade Tree)
      7. Elizabeth Cook Hey Y'All (Warner Bros. Nashville)
      8. The Mekons O.O.O.H. (Quarterstick)
      9. Kelly Willis Easy (Rykodisc)
      10. Nickel Creek This Side (Sugar Hill)
      11. The Two Dollar Pistols You RuinedEverything (Yep Roc)
      12. Dixie Chicks Home (Open Wide/Monument)
      13. Allison Moorer Miss Fortune (Universal South)
      14. Blind Boys of Alabama Higher Ground (Ben Harper and Robert Randolph
      guest)
      (Real World)
      15. Aimee Mann Lost in Space (Superego)
      16. Frank Black Black Letter Days and Devil's Workshop (spinART)
      17. Mudhoney Since We've Become Translucent (Sub Pop)
      18. Grant-Lee Phillips Ladies' Love Oracle (Zoƫ/Rounder)
      19. Marianne Faithfull Kissin' Time (w/ Beck, Blur, Pulp and Billy Corgan)
      (Virgin)
      20. Al Green and the Othello Anderson Quintet Mister Lucky (Delmark)
      21. Victoria Williams Sings Some Ol' Songs (DualTone)
      22. Blue Mountain Tonight It's Now or Never (two-CD live set) (DCN)
      23. The Dillinger Escape Plan Irony Is a Dead Scene (EP; Faith No More?s
      Mike
      Patton guests) (Epitaph)
      24. The Wildweeds The Best of: No Good to Cry (Al Anderson's pre-NRBQ
      outfit)
      (Confidential)
      25. Andy Dick & the Bitches of the Century Andy Dick & the Bitches of the
      Century (Milan)
      26. Gordon Gano (of Violent Femmes) Hitting the Ground (Instinct)
      27. John Oates Phunk Shui (Beyond)
      28. Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash Distance Between (Ultimatum)
      29. Jay Farrar (ex-Son Volt/Uncle Tupelo) ThirdShiftGrottoSlack (EP)
      (Artemis)\

      don't know 'em:

      Paul Krassner Irony Lives (Artemis)
      Pulp We Love Life (Sanctuary/Rough Trade)
      Victory at Sea The Good Night (Kimchee)
      Franklin Bruno A Cat May Look at a Queen (Absolutely Kosher)
      Kahil El'Zabar Love Outside of Dreams (Delmark)
      Rob Mazurek Silver Spines (Delmark)
      Saturnalia Trio/Quartet Mercury Rising (New Weave)
      Steve Tibbetts A Man About a Horse (ECM)

      steve (Marianne Faithful could have ranked a lot higher, but those guests
      scare me)
    • jlswedberg
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 16, 2002
        Yeah, kind of! Of course, I already sold the record back, so I can't
        listen to it *again* to be sure. <g>

        --Jamie "gosh, that was quick" S.