PLAYLIST: Fear & Whiskey 5/27/02

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 25 , May 27, 2002
      Here's the playlist for tonight's episode of Fear & Whiskey, heard
      from 7-9pm ET on 88.3fm in Pittsburgh and http://www.wrct.org over the
      internet. Past playlists are archived at
      http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~cz28/fear.html.

      Carl

      ARTIST / SONG
      sinister luck ensemble / the black pool
      [Gorgeous, cinematic theme from ex-Pinetop Seven guitarist Charles
      Kim. Ken Vandermark contributes mournful clarinet to this track.]

      chills / i love my leather jacket
      [An ode to a jacket left to the singer by a deceased friend.]
      silkworm / the old you
      dave alvin / andersonville
      joel phelps / guns of brixton
      [A solo piano arrangement of the Clash song, which segues nicely into
      Morrison's falsetto singing.]
      van morrison / who was that masked man?
      bill withers / i can't write left-handed
      [My favorite song about the Vietnam War.]

      giant sand / dusted
      tom waits / flowers grave
      [From _Alice_.]
      pink floyd / southampton dock
      chuck prophet / dyin' all young

      richard thompson / al bowlly's in heaven
      daniel pearson / 1000 days of shame
      [From the _San Francisco Song Cycle_ compilation.]
      jack logan & bob kimbell / rained like hell
      neko case / south tacoma way

      victor krummenacher / now that you're gone
      christy moore / dying soldier
      billy bragg / tank park salute
      paul kelly / going about my father's business
      randy newman / my daddy knew dixie howell
      [A demo from the expanded reissue of _Good Old Boys_.]
      kelly kessler / well of tears

      lonesome bob / where are you tonight?
      drive-by truckers / plastic flowers on the highway
      richard lloyd / cortege
      [From the Television guitarist's _The Cover Doesn't Matter.]
      robyn hitchcock / you and oblivion

      graham parker / short memories
      connie champagne / home from war
      mary janes / shooting star

      richard buckner / cradle to the angel
    • Lance Davis
      Message 2 of 25 , May 27, 2002
        > bill withers / i can't write left-handed
        > [My favorite song about the Vietnam War.]

        Interesting topic Carl. That's a great song, too especially the
        live version from Carnegie Hall. To make things interesting, I'd
        cast for Tom T Hall's Mama Bake a Pie or Johnny Cash's Singing
        in Vietnam Talkin Blues.

        Lance

        =====
        "I hear the radio's gonna finally play new music. You know, the British Invasion ...
        But what about the Minutemen, Flesh Eaters, and DOA, Big Boys and the Black Flag?
        Will the last American band to get played on the radio please bring the flag ... please bring the flag?"
        --X

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • Jyl Freed
        Message 3 of 25 , May 27, 2002
          Aha! So I see you got your mitts on the Good Old Boys
          reissue--what do you think of it, Dr. Z.?

          Jyl, who loves that Kelly Kessler record.

          randy newman / my daddy knew dixie howell
          [A demo from the expanded reissue of _Good Old Boys_.]
          kelly kessler / well of tears

        • jlswedberg
          Message 4 of 25 , May 28, 2002
            I'd like to hear more about it, too. We have the original LP, which was
            hugely influential in the conception of _Southern Rock Opera_.

            --Jamie S.

            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jyl Freed" <freed@m...> wrote:
            > Aha! So I see you got your mitts on the Good Old Boys
            > reissue--what do you think of it, Dr. Z.?
            >
            > Jyl, who loves that Kelly Kessler record.

          • jlswedberg
            Message 5 of 25 , May 28, 2002
              By the way, does anyone here know of any band that's covered Roxy
              Music's "Mother of Pearl"? I'm thinking of doing it with the probably
              very horrible all-girl punk band I just started, but I want to know if
              anyone's trod that ground before.
              Heh.

              Hi as fi can go,
              Jamie S.
            • Jyl Freed
              Message 6 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                I don't know if anyone's covered it before, but I'd love to
                hear Pregnant and Scared do it.

                Happy Belated Birthday, Jamie!

                Jyl

                Message 7 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                  Thanks, Jyl!
                  It was the intro of the song that got me thinking. I've been wanting to
                  do the two-vocalists-at-once thing for some of our stuff, and it would
                  lend itself very well. Also, Roxy is basically performance art with
                  ridiculous lyrics, and that's what we're shooting for. :-)
                  Plus the song is only in E, A, and D. <cough cough>
                  --Jamie S.

                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jyl Freed" <freed@m...> wrote:
                  > I don't know if anyone's covered it before, but I'd love to
                  > hear Pregnant and Scared do it.
                  >
                  > Happy Belated Birthday, Jamie!
                  >
                  > Jyl
                • czimring
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jyl Freed" <freed@m...> wrote:
                    > Aha! So I see you got your mitts on the Good Old Boys
                    > reissue--what do you think of it, Dr. Z.?
                    >
                    > Jyl, who loves that Kelly Kessler record.

                    Since I already was a great fan of the original record, the real find
                    is the demo disc. I'd love to hear orchestrated versions of the song
                    I played and "Shining" and wonder why they didn't make the final record?

                    Jamie, did Patterson consciously use _Good Old Boys_ as a model for
                    _Southern Rock Opera_? It'd be fun to compare the two -- also did I
                    hear that they've signed to Lost Highway? Are they reissuing
                    _Southern Rock Opera_?

                    Carl Z.
                  • czimring
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                      > > bill withers / i can't write left-handed
                      > > [My favorite song about the Vietnam War.]
                      >
                      > Interesting topic Carl. That's a great song, too especially the
                      > live version from Carnegie Hall. To make things interesting, I'd
                      > cast for Tom T Hall's Mama Bake a Pie or Johnny Cash's Singing
                      > in Vietnam Talkin Blues.

                      I don't think I've heard that Tom T. song, Lance. Is it available on
                      anything in print or do I need to explore my friendly neighborhood
                      used vinyl store.

                      (Speaking of Hall, I'm a fan of the _Real_ album of cover songs by Joe
                      Henry, Joel Phelps, Kelly Willis, Johnny Cash, Calexico and others. I
                      thought the folks putting it out were going to do a companion album of
                      his trucking songs for Dave Dudley. Was I dreaming?)

                      The Cash is a good one.

                      Carl Z.
                      NPIMH: The thought that next week's show will probably include Billy
                      Bragg's "You Woke Up My Neighborhood" because of an altercation with
                      the law involving a faculty member in my program.
                      http://www.post-gazette.com/neigh_south/20020528mtlebo0528p1.asp
                      Ugh.
                    • czimring
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "jlswedberg" <jlswedberg@y...> wrote:
                        > By the way, does anyone here know of any band that's covered Roxy
                        > Music's "Mother of Pearl"? I'm thinking of doing it with the probably
                        > very horrible all-girl punk band I just started, but I want to know if
                        > anyone's trod that ground before.

                        As far as I know, you'd be breaking new ground. Punk? Sounds a bit
                        more raucous than the Blockheaters! What else are you planning to
                        have in your set?

                        Carl Z.
                      • Jyl Freed
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                          I was privileged enough to be able to preview some of the lyrics
                          and these gals would be a perfect double bill with The Bushwackers.
                          If Jamie and her crew doesn't follow through, I'm thinking they'll
                          be needing the spanking machine treatment. And not "the fun
                          spanking machine", either.

                          Jyl, not threatening, just sayin'....

                          Message 12 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jyl Freed" <freed@m...> wrote:
                            > I was privileged enough to be able to preview some of the lyrics
                            > and these gals would be a perfect double bill with The Bushwackers.

                            Does Jamie have a song about wearing Daisy Dukes as well? Happily,
                            there's a Bushwhackers/Deliberate Strangers show in Pittsburgh this
                            weekend...bring up your band, Jamie -- it's on the way to Twangfest!

                            > If Jamie and her crew doesn't follow through, I'm thinking they'll
                            > be needing the spanking machine treatment. And not "the fun
                            > spanking machine", either.
                            >
                            > Jyl, not threatening, just sayin'....

                            Yikes. I guess we'll be hearing a record soon...

                            Carl Z.
                          • Lance Davis
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                              <<I don't think I've heard that Tom T. song, Lance. Is it
                              available on anything in print or do I need to explore my
                              friendly neighborhood used vinyl store>>

                              Mama Bake a Pie is a great old weeper, no two ways about it.
                              I'll just say it's about a disabled returning vet and let you
                              explore further <g>. I got mine as part of the 2 disc set
                              Storyteller, Poet, Philosopher, but it's originally on 100
                              Children. Great album, came out in 1970. A-list Nashville
                              session guys back a fantastic set of songs, including I Can't
                              Dance (which GP later covered), I Hope it Rains at My Funeral
                              (which Caitlin Cary's old band covered on that tribute), I Want
                              To See the Parade (which is another weeper), and the silly title
                              track. I'd recommend Storyteller, though. Hits a lot of the high
                              points over 2 CDs.

                              Lance

                              =====
                              "Now there are 7 kinds of Coke, 500 kinds of cigarettes
                              This freedom of choice in the USA drives everybody crazy."

                              Message 14 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                                Black Flag, m*thaf*cka. <g> And songs about pussy.
                                --Jamie S., pui because of one of her bandmates

                                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

                                > As far as I know, you'd be breaking new ground. Punk? Sounds a bit
                                > more raucous than the Blockheaters! What else are you planning to
                                > have in your set?
                                >
                                > Carl Z.
                              • jlswedberg
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                                  Fear not, we just had our first practice and it wasn't half as bad as
                                  we anticipated.
                                  The Blockheaters suuuuuuuuuuucked. Almost everybody's first band does.
                                  This is like the rebound band, where I react against the first band.
                                  This one will suck too, only in a completely different and more
                                  intentional way. :-D
                                  --Jamie S, drunk as sh*t

                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jyl Freed" <freed@m...> wrote:
                                  > I was privileged enough to be able to preview some of the lyrics
                                  > and these gals would be a perfect double bill with The Bushwackers.
                                  > If Jamie and her crew doesn't follow through, I'm thinking they'll
                                  > be needing the spanking machine treatment. And not "the fun
                                  > spanking machine", either.
                                  >
                                  > Jyl, not threatening, just sayin'....
                                • Kelly Kessler
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                                    > Black Flag, m*thaf*cka. <g> And songs about pussy.
                                    > --Jamie S., pui because of one of her bandmates

                                    Mr. Zimring, I believe your fearnwhiskey list has arrived. Still wet behind
                                    the ears and already it's got its first PUI post. (And it's a beaut, I might
                                    add.)
                                  • jlswedberg
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 28, 2002
                                      More soberly:
                                      (1) I suppose only Patterson and co. can answer whether they *
                                      consciously* used _Good Old Boys_ as a model. I do know that they were
                                      very much aware of it, that they liked it a lot, and that it had set
                                      the bar at a certain level before they set out to do what they were
                                      doing.
                                      (2) They signed with Lost Highway on Saturday evening, amid the bustle
                                      of Bubbapalooza, some very nice Thai food, and a flurry of those little
                                      post-it notes that say "Sign Here."
                                      (3) Yes, in mid-June, and impressively, this printing should be
                                      virtually identical to the previous (rather expensive to print) ones.

                                      --Jamie S.

                                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                      > Jamie, did Patterson consciously use _Good Old Boys_ as a model for
                                      > _Southern Rock Opera_? It'd be fun to compare the two -- also did I
                                      > hear that they've signed to Lost Highway? Are they reissuing
                                      > _Southern Rock Opera_?
                                      >
                                      > Carl Z.
                                    • czimring
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 29, 2002
                                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Kelly Kessler" <humdinger@t...> wrote:

                                        > > Black Flag, m*thaf*cka. <g> And songs about pussy.
                                        > > --Jamie S., pui because of one of her bandmates
                                        > >
                                        > Mr. Zimring, I believe your fearnwhiskey list has arrived. Still wet
                                        behind
                                        > the ears and already it's got its first PUI post. (And it's a beaut,
                                        I might
                                        > add.)

                                        Agreed. I needed a good laugh to start my day.

                                        Carl Z.
                                        impressed by anyone who has the ability to censor while PUI
                                      • czimring
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 29, 2002
                                          the Drive-By Truckers' _Southern Rock Opera_, Pregnant and Scared
                                          Jamie wrote:
                                          > (3) Yes, in mid-June, and impressively, this printing should be
                                          > virtually identical to the previous (rather expensive to print) ones.

                                          Whoa, that is good news, and if Lost Highway retains the original
                                          (beautiful and complex) artwork, that will my single favorite thing
                                          that label's done so far.

                                          (As an aside, if there's anyone here who hasn't heard DBT and who digs
                                          the loud, southern sound of Lynyrd Skynyrd, this opera is for you.)

                                          Carl Z.
                                        • Jyl Freed
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 29, 2002
                                            From: Kelly Kessler

                                            > Black Flag, m*thaf*cka. <g> And songs about pussy.
                                            > --Jamie S., pui because of one of her bandmates

                                            If you say it wasn't Shayne Jordan, I won't believe you.

                                            <<Mr. Zimring, I believe your fearnwhiskey list has arrived. Still wet behind
                                            the ears and already it's got its first PUI post. (And it's a beaut, I might
                                            add.)>>

                                            Hooboy, I'll say. This is a band I can definitely
                                            get behind. (And won't that be a nice view)

                                            "Baby oh Baby, we're both so wasted,
                                            That turkey'll have to wait to be basted."
                                            -'Poke You in the Morning'-P&S

                                            Jyl, leaking info in a grand Kim Fowley fashion <vbg>

                                          • jlswedberg
                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 29, 2002
                                              Yikes! Terrifying! I wanted the name to have shock value, but it turns
                                              out it works best on ME. <g>

                                              --Jamie "no maternal instinct" S.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 29, 2002
                                                AHEM! No giving away our stuff, please. And let's not clog up nice Dr.
                                                Zimring's list with it, either, because it's supposed to be about
                                                music, and this putative band hasn't made anything that could be
                                                described by that word. And probably never will. :-)

                                                --Jamie "yes, it was Shayne" S.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , May 29, 2002
                                                  Pregnant and Scared Jamie said:

                                                  > AHEM! No giving away our stuff, please. And let's not clog up nice Dr.
                                                  > Zimring's list with it, either, because it's supposed to be about
                                                  > music, and this putative band hasn't made anything that could be
                                                  > described by that word. And probably never will. :-)

                                                  Hey, I've played the Shaggs from time to time, so clog away. Are y'all
                                                  working up a cover of "Slip It In"? It makes too much sense not to work
                                                  that one in...

                                                  Carl Z.
                                                • jlswedberg
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , May 29, 2002
                                                    We'll think about it if you stop calling me that. <g>
                                                    Seriously, we plan to perform mostly our own incredibly juvenile and
                                                    simplistic creations. Cover tunes are being contemplated mostly as a
                                                    tool to get us to the point where we can play a song together without
                                                    completely falling apart. See, the deal is that this band is pure
                                                    stress relief. As such, none of us is permitted to play what we would
                                                    consider to be our "first" or "good" instrument. I'm a pretty good bass
                                                    player who chokes on guitar, so naturally I was talked into playing
                                                    guitar. Our drummer is actually a perfectly good guitar player and
                                                    singer. Our singer is a drummer. And our bass player played recorder in
                                                    5th grade. We're psyched.
                                                    --Jamie S.

                                                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                                    > Pregnant and Scared Jamie said:
                                                    >
                                                    > > AHEM! No giving away our stuff, please. And let's not clog up nice Dr.
                                                    > > Zimring's list with it, either, because it's supposed to be about
                                                    > > music, and this putative band hasn't made anything that could be
                                                    > > described by that word. And probably never will. :-)
                                                    >
                                                    > Hey, I've played the Shaggs from time to time, so clog away. Are y'all
                                                    > working up a cover of "Slip It In"? It makes too much sense not to work
                                                    > that one in...
                                                    >
                                                    > Carl Z.
                                                  • czimring
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , May 29, 2002
                                                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "jlswedberg" <jlswedberg@y...> wrote:
                                                      > We'll think about it if you stop calling me that. <g>

                                                      A band name should never scare its own members.

                                                      > Seriously, we plan to perform mostly our own incredibly juvenile and
                                                      > simplistic creations. Cover tunes are being contemplated mostly as a
                                                      > tool to get us to the point where we can play a song together without
                                                      > completely falling apart. See, the deal is that this band is pure
                                                      > stress relief. As such, none of us is permitted to play what we would
                                                      > consider to be our "first" or "good" instrument. I'm a pretty good bass
                                                      > player who chokes on guitar, so naturally I was talked into playing
                                                      > guitar. Our drummer is actually a perfectly good guitar player and
                                                      > singer. Our singer is a drummer. And our bass player played recorder in
                                                      > 5th grade. We're psyched.

                                                      Sounds like mucho fun. Updates encouraged...

                                                      Carl "not pregnant, perhaps a little scared" Z.