Re: AMC (warning: long)

  • ahacksaw1
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
      Ooh, this should be fun...

      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

      > From _The Restless Stranger:
      > Room Above the Club

      Yup.

      > From _Engine_:
      > Big Night
      > Outside This Bar
      > Gary's Song
      > Nightwatchman
      > Art of Love (I love noise, it's true)
      > This Year

      I'd substitute "Mom's TV" for "Art of Love," I'd consider subbing "At
      My Mercy" for "Nightwatchman" (mainly because of Danny Pearson's
      gorgeous vocal) and I'd add "Clouds." The whole record was so
      influenced by Mark's mother's death that I don't think it would make
      sense to exclude "Mom's TV." And more than any other songs I can think
      of, "Gary's Song" and "Outside This Bar" capture the essence of Eitzel
      (IMO), so of course those two have to be on there.

      _Engine_ was AMC's current record when I became a fan, way back in
      1987, and no doubt because of that, it's still my favorite (though I
      think _Mercury_ is their best). If I were making a comp, I'd probably
      just put the whole first side of the vinyl LP (i.e. "Big Night"
      through "Nightwatchman") on there, because for months, that was what I
      listened to over and over again; I didn't even pay attention to side
      two until I'd had the record for at least six months.

      > From _California_:
      > Firefly
      > Western Sky
      > Pale Skinny Girl
      > Laughingstock
      > Highway 5

      I'd go with the first two, but not the others (I appreciate "Highway
      5," but I usually find myself skipping it when I listen to the
      record). Instead, I'd include "Lonely," "Somewhere," "Blue and Grey
      Shirt," and of course, "Last Harbor."

      > From _United Kingdom_:
      > Heaven of Your Hands
      > United Kingdom
      > Kathleen

      Yes to "Kathleen" (which contains one of my favorite Eitzel opening
      lines: "When no one cares for you, you're made of straw"), no to the
      other two. Instead, I'd have "Dreamers of the Dream," mainly because I
      first heard that one at an in-store that AMC did in Mpls. in 1988; I
      still have a horrible cassette copy of a horrible recording of it made
      on a boombox at the store by Terry "the Half-deaf Soundman" Katzman,
      and it fucking rules. Oh, and I might throw in "Here They Roll Down"
      too.

      > From _Everclear_:
      > The whole damn thing. It's my favorite record in the alt.country
      tent.
      > Bruce Kaphan should get an award for work above and beyond the call
      of
      > pedal-steel duty, and Eitzel's writing's never been more succinct.

      I love _Everclear_, but not as much as Carl does. <g> My choices:

      Why Won't You Stay
      Rise
      Crabwalk
      Royal Cafe

      > From _Rise_:
      > Chanel No. 5
      > The Right Thing (a fine country song)

      I'd just skip this EP entirely, and go for the version of "Chanel No.
      5" that's on _Songs of Love_, unless that's cheating.

      > From _Mercury_:
      > I've Been a Mess
      > Apology for an Accident
      > Johnny Mathis's Feet
      > What Godzilla Said...
      > and maybe Gratitude Walks

      This is the one where I'd just put the whole record on; I think it
      works best as a piece, and there's hardly a track I'd be willing to
      eliminate (okay, except for "More Hopes and Dreams," I guess). "If I
      Had a Hammer" may very well be my favorite Eitzel song ever, but
      really, there's not a song on here that I don't absolutely love.

      > From _San Francisco_:
      > I'd pick nothing because I hate the production and a lot of the
      writing
      > isn't up to snuff. For completion's sake, I'd throw in Fearless.

      I'd go with "I Broke My Promise," because I like it but mainly because
      it brings the recurring Kathleen theme to some sort of close.
      (Kathleen, a former girlfriend and longtime obsession of Mark's,
      stopped being mentioned much in later AMC shows because by then Mark
      had come all the way out of the closet, but if you saw them in the
      early days, you were likely to know more about Kathleen Marie Burns
      than was strictly necessary.)

      > From _Songs of Love, Live_:
      > Take Courage (there's another version floating around, but this one
      is one
      > of the most stark and beautiful vocals Eitzel's ever recorded)

      And "Chanel No. 5," as I said above.

      > From _60 Watt Silver Lining_:
      > Mission Rock Resort (a great song about addiction)
      > The Wild Sea

      I've never understood why people love "Mission Rock" and "Some
      Bartenders"; I find them kind of boring and self-indulgent, but I
      don't think I've ever found an Eitzel fan who agreed with me. My
      choices from _60 Watt_:

      There Is No Easy Way Down
      When My Plane Finally Goes Down
      Southend on Sea (how can you resist a line like "You said to me,
      'you're from California, and you're as dumb as can be'"?)
      and especially:
      Sacred Heart, another candidate for my favorite Eitzel song ever, and
      far and away my favorite of his post-AMC songs

      > From _West_:
      > Free of Harm

      I'll go along with that and add "Stunned and Frozen."

      And since _West_ was the last Eitzel record that I paid serious
      attention to, that's where I'll stop. To everyone's relief, I'm sure.
      <g>
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
        --On Thursday, August 1, 2002 3:16 PM +0000 ahacksaw1
        <ahacksaw@...> wrote:

        > Ooh, this should be fun...

        I could do this forever. (And just may!)

        >> From _Engine_:
        > I'd substitute "Mom's TV" for "Art of Love," I'd consider subbing "At
        > My Mercy" for "Nightwatchman" (mainly because of Danny Pearson's
        > gorgeous vocal) and I'd add "Clouds."

        Excellent points both -- "Clouds" is a great rock song (from a time when
        Eitzel actually used standard tuning and even used power chords) and "At My
        Mercy" has some of Pearson's best vocals prior to the Clodhopper album.
        (He also contributes a haunting backing vocal to the title track of _United
        Kingdom_.)

        > _Engine_ was AMC's current record when I became a fan, way back in
        > 1987, and no doubt because of that, it's still my favorite (though I
        > think _Mercury_ is their best). If I were making a comp, I'd probably
        > just put the whole first side of the vinyl LP (i.e. "Big Night"
        > through "Nightwatchman") on there, because for months, that was what I
        > listened to over and over again; I didn't even pay attention to side
        > two until I'd had the record for at least six months.

        It was my introduction to the band as well at a time I was just starting
        college. I was way into noise (see my Happy Flowers comment from earlier
        this week) and adored the wall of guitar drone on Art of Love. Side one's
        a little catchier than side two, but the whole thing holds up really well.
        I am mystified as to why it wasn't a huge record at the time -- even in the
        bay area, it didn't get much airplay.

        >> From _California_:
        > I'd go with the first two, but not the others (I appreciate "Highway
        > 5," but I usually find myself skipping it when I listen to the
        > record).

        "Highway 5" for me is the best reason the record's called _California_.
        The stomach-churning guitar reminds me of a couple of harrowing near-misses
        in the fog on that road.

        > I love _Everclear_, but not as much as Carl does. <g> My choices:
        > Royal Cafe

        Perhaps my favorite AMC song, at least on record -- I never heard them
        perform it in concert. My Morning Jacket fans who enjoy the reverb might
        like _Everclear_...

        >> From _60 Watt Silver Lining_:
        >> Mission Rock Resort (a great song about addiction)
        >> The Wild Sea
        >>
        > I've never understood why people love "Mission Rock" and "Some
        > Bartenders"; I find them kind of boring and self-indulgent, but I
        > don't think I've ever found an Eitzel fan who agreed with me.

        "Some Bartenders" sounds like bad beatnick poetry, right down to the
        percussion. "Mission Rock Resort" (another song about Ms. Burns, as was
        the postmortem "I'd Give Anything" from _The Invisible Man_) does a better
        job of voicing the frustrations of living with an addict than any song that
        comes to my mind, especially in the couplet "if I could talk it out of you,
        I would. If I could beat it out of you, I would." And also the tedium of
        addiction, in the repeated mantra "nothing changes, not ever". I think
        it's one of his 3 or 4 finest songs.

        >> From _West_:
        >> Free of Harm
        >>
        > I'll go along with that and add "Stunned and Frozen."
        >
        > And since _West_ was the last Eitzel record that I paid serious
        > attention to, that's where I'll stop. To everyone's relief, I'm sure.
        > <g>

        Too much is never enough! I will say that I think _The Invisible Man_ is
        Eitzel's best disc since _Mercury_, and in some ways it revisits the
        lushness of that album. I am quite curious about the upcoming record of
        old AMC songs with Greek folk instrumentation he's recorded.

        Carl Z.
      • Wilson, Carl
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
          >I am quite curious about the upcoming record
          > of old AMC songs with Greek folk
          > instrumentation he's recorded.

          Did you just throw that in to see if we were still reading, or is it true?

          carl w.
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
            --On Thursday, August 1, 2002 4:59 PM -0400 "Wilson, Carl"
            <cwilson@...> wrote:

            >> I am quite curious about the upcoming record
            >> of old AMC songs with Greek folk
            >> instrumentation he's recorded.
            >
            > Did you just throw that in to see if we were still reading, or is it true?

            It is true! From <http://www.americanmusicclub.com/>:

            29 January 02

            More big Eitzel news: The covers record, 'Courage and Confidence,' comes
            out April 9th on New West Records. The American Music Club covers record
            done by Mark and members of a Greek rembetika-style band comes out this
            Fall on Greek label Hitchyke Records, and there is a new album for Matador
            due later in the year as well.

            ***

            "would I lie to you?"
            Carl Z.
          • ahacksaw1
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

              > More big Eitzel news: The covers record, 'Courage and Confidence,'
              comes
              > out April 9th on New West Records. The American Music Club covers
              record
              > done by Mark and members of a Greek rembetika-style band comes out
              this
              > Fall on Greek label Hitchyke Records,

              The mind boggles. Does Allen Baekeland know about this?
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
                --On Thursday, August 1, 2002 9:33 PM +0000 ahacksaw1
                <ahacksaw@...> wrote:

                > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                >

                >> The American Music Club covers
                > record
                >> done by Mark and members of a Greek rembetika-style band comes out
                > this
                >> Fall on Greek label Hitchyke Records,
                >
                > The mind boggles. Does Allen Baekeland know about this?

                I'm not sure. Lord only knows what prompted this project, but soon AMC
                songs can safely be called Country & Eastern. I'm very curious to hear
                this, not least to see what songs they'll tackle.

                Carl Z.
              • Hill, Christopher J
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
                  Someone on the Firefly (Eitzel/AMC) list posted a URL for an
                  article that mentioned the tracks. 10, iirc, and not the most
                  obvious choices. I *think* "Royal Cafe" is one of them, but
                  don't hold me to it. I didn't bookmark the article, and a
                  Google search wasn't successful.

                  Chris