RE: [fearnwhiskey] AMC

  • Hill, Christopher J
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
      Further AMC reissues are coming, though news is sketchy at
      http://www.exitproductions.com/amc/news.html. A remastered
      _California_? Color me happy!

      Recommendations for your comp -
      Western Sky, Firefly, Blue & Grey Shirt - all on your list?
      (All on _California_, too...) Also, I'd have to include Bad
      Liquor, which seems the most "liked or disliked" song in the
      catalog.

      If I Had a Hammer - "I'm as precious as a brass ring that's
      losing the heat from your hand" is my favorite Eitzel line.
      (Second is "track me down and I'll give you my pomegranate
      heart my throwaway heart" from ME's _60 Watt Silver Lining_).

      Others: Sick of Food, Chanel # 5, Outside This Bar,
      Nightwatchman, Challenger, The Revolving Door, I Broke
      My Promise, Why Won't You Stay. So many good songs, the
      favorites are always shifting.

      Chris

      > On another subject that I know Carl and Laura will like <g>. American
      > Music Club yet again. I told a friend that I would make him an AMC
      > comp. I have my fave songs in mind but what would you fellow fans put
      > on it if it were you? Also, since I had to leave lots of books and
      > CD's at my mothers in California and don't have AMC's California with
      > me. I can't do a comp without it as Highway 5, Pale Skinny Girl, Last
      > Harbor etc etc are on it (some of my fave songs). Anyone have the
      > record on mp3 that I can download from your ftp site?
      >
      > Lisa
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 24, 2004
        Ask him how he feels to be the headliner for the first ever Fearnwhiskey Fest?
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 24, 2004
          Why wasn't Bruce Kaphan asked to participate, since they're still on
          friendly terms?

          What are the chances of Tom Mallon signing off on the later cd
          remasters?

          Where's he living now? Chicago or San Fran? Not that it matters,
          other than how it influences his songwriting.

          How are the connections between him and the other AMC folk different
          than when the band was last together? What with Danny's Clodhopper,
          Mark's solo releases, etc - they've moved on, so how is that
          impacting this revival? Is the songwriting more of a group effort?

          Does it feel like starting over, or picking up the reins again? How
          has the reception been? San Fran was wildly enthusiastic by reports
          and then they had the month residency at Largo - was that a good
          testing ground for the band and the new songs?

          Tell him that a lot of people are rooting for him and the band, and
          glad to see this happening.

          Geek flag flying,

          Chris
        • jim caligiuri
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 24, 2004
            thanks for the questions. Eitzel was in a good mood and had me laughing,
            I like that.

            I'll post a transcript when it's done, but the one question about Bruce.
            The rest of the band had remained friendly over the years, except Bruce,
            so when it was they decided to try to do it again, his name didn't come
            up. When he found out about it and asked to be a part of it, they said
            no, too late.

            JC
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
              --On Tuesday, February 24, 2004 4:19 PM -0600 jim caligiuri
              <jcalig@...> wrote:

              > I'll post a transcript when it's done, but the one question about Bruce.
              > The rest of the band had remained friendly over the years, except Bruce,
              > so when it was they decided to try to do it again, his name didn't come
              > up. When he found out about it and asked to be a part of it, they said
              > no, too late.

              That's a shame; I'll miss his pedal steel playing. He sounds very good
              playing in Victor Krummenacher's band, but he's never had a better outlet
              than AMC.

              Carl Z.
            • Steve Gardner
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
                > I'll post a transcript when it's done, but the one question about Bruce.
                > The rest of the band had remained friendly over the years, except Bruce,
                > so when it was they decided to try to do it again, his name didn't come
                > up. When he found out about it and asked to be a part of it, they said
                > no, too late.

                That's a shame; I'll miss his pedal steel playing. He sounds very good
                playing in Victor Krummenacher's band, but he's never had a better outlet
                than AMC.
                =========

                Hold it just one second. Are you trying to tell me that I bought airplane
                tickets to fly to the other side of the US to see the AMC without a pedal
                steel player? Are you fucking kidding me? The AMC without a pedal steel
                player is not the AMC. Are they even going to get another steel player to
                fill in for Bruce?

                I can't believe it. I want my money back. Fuckers.

                Not happy at all,
                steve
              • Chris Hill
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
                  > Are they even going to get another steel player to
                  > fill in for Bruce?

                  From http://www.american-music-club.com/ - doesn't sound like it.

                  Original AMC members; Mark Eitzel (vocals, guitar), Dan Pearson (bass), Tim Mooney (drums), Vudi (guitar), and new member, Marc Capelle (piano/trumpet) have confirmed a major-city U.S. tour in March, to kick off in San Francisco at the Great American Music Hall on February 29th.
                • RICHARD BRAZIER
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
                    Having listened to a few of the recent reformed AMC shows there are
                    definately elements that could really do with Bruces pedal steel,I've never
                    been a big fan of Marc Capelles contributions to Marks music,in particular
                    the piano/brass on 60 Watt silver lining,could have been a much better album
                    if it had been more stripped down.
                    Though my favorite period of AMC of seeing live were the shows during
                    summer/fall of 91 and the European shows in early 92,they were also
                    excellent back in 89 before Bruce joined the band.
                    A lot of the new songs are sounding pretty great and probably wouldn't miss
                    Bruce and they seem to have been avoiding playing old songs that Bruce
                    really contributed to,though Royal Cafe & Gary's song have been played
                    albeit with some rather rollicking piano.
                    Interested to read that interview once it's been trancribed,seems a rather
                    weird reason to exclude Bruce since he has worked with Mark a lot since AMC
                    split.
                    Gonna be interesting to see what they come out with on the upcoming tour
                    Richard

                    The American Music Club/Mark Eitzel archive
                    http://www.geocities.com/rsjbraz/AmericanMusicClubArchive.html

                    http://www.geocities.com/richbraz/musictrading.html

                    http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
                      --On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 9:13 AM -0500 Steve Gardner
                      <steve@...> wrote:

                      > Hold it just one second. Are you trying to tell me that I bought airplane
                      > tickets to fly to the other side of the US to see the AMC without a pedal
                      > steel player? Are you fucking kidding me? The AMC without a pedal steel
                      > player is not the AMC. Are they even going to get another steel player to
                      > fill in for Bruce?
                      >
                      > I can't believe it. I want my money back. Fuckers.

                      But you'll still see me, Steve!

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
                        Do they do any _Restless Stranger_ songs? The lineup is similar. I will
                        miss Bruce's playing, but any time Mark Eitzel plays with Pearson and Vudi,
                        I will be happy to be in the crowd. (And I repeat, for Kaphanophiles,
                        those Victor Krummenacher CDs are well worth getting.)

                        I've seen Capelle three times -- on the _60 Watt_ tour, he made the album
                        arrangements by Bruce (piano) and Mark Isham (trumpet) sound, uh, freer.
                        It worked well, but I could see where his playing might sound busy with
                        another guitarist. Guess I'll find out in about a month...

                        Carl Z.

                        --On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 4:00 PM +0000 RICHARD BRAZIER
                        <richard_brazier@...> wrote:

                        > Having listened to a few of the recent reformed AMC shows there are
                        > definately elements that could really do with Bruces pedal steel,I've
                        > never been a big fan of Marc Capelles contributions to Marks music,in
                        > particular the piano/brass on 60 Watt silver lining,could have been a
                        > much better album if it had been more stripped down.
                        > Though my favorite period of AMC of seeing live were the shows during
                        > summer/fall of 91 and the European shows in early 92,they were also
                        > excellent back in 89 before Bruce joined the band.
                        > A lot of the new songs are sounding pretty great and probably wouldn't
                        > miss Bruce and they seem to have been avoiding playing old songs that
                        > Bruce really contributed to,though Royal Cafe & Gary's song have been
                        > played albeit with some rather rollicking piano.
                        > Interested to read that interview once it's been trancribed,seems a
                        > rather weird reason to exclude Bruce since he has worked with Mark a lot
                        > since AMC split.
                        > Gonna be interesting to see what they come out with on the upcoming tour
                        > Richard
                        >
                        > The American Music Club/Mark Eitzel archive
                        > http://www.geocities.com/rsjbraz/AmericanMusicClubArchive.html
                        >
                        > http://www.geocities.com/richbraz/musictrading.html
                        >

                        >> From: Chris Hill <chillout@...>
                        >> To: <fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com>
                        >> Subject: Re: Re: [fearnwhiskey] AMC
                        >> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 3:52:56 -1100
                        >>
                        >> > Are they even going to get another steel player to
                        >> > fill in for Bruce?
                        >>
                        >> From http://www.american-music-club.com/ - doesn't sound like it.
                        >>
                        >> Original AMC members; Mark Eitzel (vocals, guitar), Dan Pearson (bass),
                        >> Tim Mooney (drums), Vudi (guitar), and new member, Marc Capelle
                        >> (piano/trumpet) have confirmed a major-city U.S. tour in March, to kick
                        >> off in San Francisco at the Great American Music Hall on February 29th.
                        >>

                        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Steve Gardner
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
                          >But you'll still see me, Steve!

                          That's true Carl. And of course, the real reason I am going is to see
                          you...and other folks in Seattle. And I'm sure it'll be superfun and I'll
                          love every minute of it.

                          But I do have to say I am really disappointed in this news, because when I
                          used to see the AMC my favorite part of the show was when the band was loud
                          and that steel guitar was shaking the Warfield Theater on Market Street in
                          San Francisco, more than it had been shook since 1906. In fact, I've never
                          even liked Mark Eitzel's solo material and a big part of that is because of
                          the non-shaking rafters.

                          But like I said, I'm sure I'll still have a total blast. I just need about
                          24 hours to be cranky about this. <g>

                          steve
                        • RICHARD BRAZIER
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
                            They played Hold onto your love at the reunion show so you never know,set
                            lists for all recent shows are on the site.

                            http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 26, 2004
                              --On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 2:21 PM -0500 Steve Gardner
                              <steve@...> wrote:

                              > But like I said, I'm sure I'll still have a total blast. I just need about
                              > 24 hours to be cranky about this. <g>

                              That sounds like me the day after baseball season ends. Every year. Worst
                              comes to worst, we'll ply you with gin & tonics to make it all right.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 26, 2004
                                --On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 11:20 PM +0000 RICHARD BRAZIER
                                <richard_brazier@...> wrote:

                                > They played Hold onto your love at the reunion show so you never know,set
                                > lists for all recent shows are on the site.
                                >
                                > The American Music Club/Mark Eitzel archive
                                > http://www.geocities.com/rsjbraz/AmericanMusicClubArchive.html
                                >
                                > http://www.geocities.com/richbraz/musictrading.html

                                Teach me to joke -- I'd love it if they played "Room Above the Club."

                                Carl Z.
                              • Chris Hill
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 7, 2004
                                  It's been confirmed on the Eitzel list that the AMC album will be coming out on Merge. No other deets available yet. Yahoo!

                                  Chris
                                  np: Daniel Wylie (ex-Cosmic Rough Riders singer) - summer pop, very fine.
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 7, 2004
                                    --On Friday, May 7, 2004 10:13 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...> wrote:

                                    > It's been confirmed on the Eitzel list that the AMC album will be coming
                                    > out on Merge. No other deets available yet. Yahoo!

                                    Heh, perfect. Now AMC and Karl Hendricks are labelmates.

                                    Now that there's a label, I pine for a release date.

                                    Carl Z.
                                  • Steve Gardner
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 8, 2004
                                      So, I've been listening to the upcoming AMC disc all day today. Whew! I absolutely love it. I haven't been a fan of any of Eitzel's solo stuff, so I was worried this reunion album wouldn't be so hot. My spirits lifted when I saw them in Seattle, but I was still a little wary of the album. But now I've heard it (a few times) and I'm blown away. In fact, it might even be one of my favorite AMC discs ever. And I say that even being a big lover of the pedal steel sound that is missing on this one. Good stuff.

                                      Oh, and Merge records are just as amazing.

                                      steve