Re: [fearnwhiskey] Tom Waits

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      It kinda depends on the person who's gonna get the comp, I think. If you think they'll like Tom Waits when he's weird, that's one thing, but if you are trying to turn them on to the genius of Tom Waits but are nervous about him turning them off with his sometimes harshness, then that's a whole 'nother thing.

      But how about I just tell you my favorite songs. And these will be really heavy on the Frank trilogy because I think those are three of the best records ever made. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've listened to those records, gotten drunk and felt really sorry for myself. <g>

      In chronological order...which pretty much works. Oh, and I have a penchant for the really depressing ones. I'm warning ya...

      Two disc set, of course:

      CD1
      Poncho's Lament
      I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You
      Rosie
      Ice Cream Man
      Tom Traubert's Blues
      Step Right Up
      Jitterbug Boy
      I Wish I Was In New Orleans
      Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
      Jersey Girl
      Ruby's Arms
      Shore Leave
      Johnsburg, IL
      16 Shells From a Thirty-Ought Six
      Town With No Cheer
      In The Neighborhood
      Soldier's Things
      Clap Hands

      CD2
      Jockey Full of Bourbon
      Tango Til They're Sore
      Hang Down Your Head
      Time
      9th & Hennepin
      Gun Street Girl
      Blind Love
      Downtown Train
      Anywhere I Lay My Head
      Innocent When You Dream
      Yesterday Is Here
      More Than Rain
      Way Down In The Hole
      Cold, Cold Ground
      Picture In A Frame
      Come On Up To The House

      steve

    • Kevin J. Hosey
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        Yikes, Steve; your initial paragraph is the same reasoning why I didn't
        submit a list of someone I am sometimes fanatical about. And your list also
        echoes mine very close, except I would have made a couple of deletions to
        include a bit more recent material (and for depressing songs, I would have
        included a favorite, Martha).
        Anyone receiving any of the suggested tapes/CDs, if they are unaware of Tom
        Waits' magic, will be in for a fine listening experience.

        Kevin

        >It kinda depends on the person who's gonna get the comp, I think. If you
        think they'll like Tom Waits when he's weird, that's one thing, but if you
        are trying to turn them on to the genius of Tom Waits but are nervous about
        him turning them off with his sometimes harshness, then that's a whole
        'nother thing.

        >But how about I just tell you my favorite songs. And these will be really
        heavy on the Frank trilogy because I think those are three of the best
        records ever made. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've listened to
        those records, gotten drunk and felt really sorry for myself. <g>

        >In chronological order...which pretty much works. Oh, and I have a penchant
        for the really depressing ones. I'm warning ya...

        >Two disc set, of course:
        >
        >CD1
        >Poncho's Lament
        >I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You
        >Rosie
        >Ice Cream Man
        >Tom Traubert's Blues
        >Step Right Up
        >Jitterbug Boy
        >I Wish I Was In New Orleans
        >Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
        >Jersey Girl
        >Ruby's Arms
        >Shore Leave
        >Johnsburg, IL
        >16 Shells From a Thirty-Ought Six
        >Town With No Cheer
        >In The Neighborhood
        >Soldier's Things
        >Clap Hands
        >
        >CD2
        >Jockey Full of Bourbon
        >Tango Til They're Sore
        >Hang Down Your Head
        >Time
        >9th & Hennepin
        >Gun Street Girl
        >Blind Love
        >Downtown Train
        >Anywhere I Lay My Head
        >Innocent When You Dream
        >Yesterday Is Here
        >More Than Rain
        >Way Down In The Hole
        >Cold, Cold Ground
        >Picture In A Frame
        >Come On Up To The House
        >
        >steve
      • carl wilson
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
          Steve's second CD would make a very beautiful sounding compilation. I
          could hear the sequence unroll as I read it.

          But yeah, there's that accessibility question - I've been wondering
          about that since I wrote my suggestions (which left off really
          accessible stuff like "Goin' Out West" and "I Don't Wanna Grow Up,").
          If you want to ease your friend into Waits albums, I'd say start with
          copies of "Heart of Saturday Night" the album, for the early years
          (or if they're more of a rock fan, maybe "Blue Valentines" -- as I
          said before, "Small Change" is my favourite of those years, but it's
          also deep into Waits' beat persona, which could be a turnoff), and
          either "Rain Dogs" or the "Beautiful Maladies" comp for the later
          years.

          I've noticed to my surprise in recent years that "Bone Machine" seems
          to be the best-known of his albums, or at least that's the impression
          I've gotten -- anyone agree or disagree? I think it's because it was
          the studio album that came out last before his long hiatus, so it had
          time to linger and get passed around longest before being displaced
          by something newer. I'm a little less fond of it because of the
          religious themes - "Jesus Gonna Be Here" and "Black Wings," etc. It's
          not that I'm anti-religious -- well, I am, but not as a musical theme
          -- but that it seemed to me Waits was drawing on that imagery without
          doing much with it, either pro or contra, and that it seemed a more
          commonplace well to draw on than he usually does. Waits has his own
          custom-made cliches, and he doesn't need anyone else's.

          It's possible, though, that this stems from the overall concern about
          mortality that runs through that disc, which is the most potent
          aspect of it. "Dirt In the Ground" is one of the more affecting songs
          about death I've ever heard:

          "What does it matter, a dream of love or a dream of lies
          We're all gonna be in the same place when we die
          Your spirit don't leave knowing your face or your name
          And the wind through your bones is all that remains
          And we're all gonna be
          We're all gonna be just dirt in the ground

          The quill from a buzzard, the blood writes the word
          I want to know, am I the sky or a bird?
          'Cause hell is boiling over and heaven is full
          We're chained to the world and we all gotta pull
          And we're all gonna be just dirt in the ground.... [etc]."

          The music to this tune draws on gospel, and when I say "draws" I mean
          with the effort of straining on a long rope to yank it note by note
          from the tradition, and when he gets to the tagline it suddenly
          twists in his hands, yanking back, and at that moment gospel becomes
          the blues (in his unique James Brown-influenced falsetto). It's such
          a gorgeous example of Waits' preternatural ability to sound
          completely instinctive while communicating a vast musicological
          awareness and self-consciousness at the same time. Unbelievable.

          carl w.