Tom Waits

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      Ok, if you were going to put together a comp of Tom Waits for
      someone not familiar with him, what songs would you pick? What about
      Nick Cave?
    • Dave Purcell
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        I've usually done well with:

        In The Neighborhood
        Frank's Wild Years
        Jersey Girl
        Kentucky Avenue
        Tom Traubert's Blues
        and, of course, Heart of Saturday Night

        Lisa wrote: <<Ok, if you were going to put together a comp of Tom Waits
        for
        someone not familiar with him, what songs would you pick? What about
        Nick Cave? >>

        dp
      • Lance Davis
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
          Early Tom:
          Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis
          Romeo Is Bleeding
          Twenty-Nine Dollars
          San Diego Serenade
          I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love With You
          The Heart of Saturday Night
          Better off Without a Wife
          Pasties and a G-String
          Heart Attack and Vine
          Mr. Siegal

          Later Tom:
          Johnsburg, Illinois
          16 Shells from a Thirty-Ought Six
          Jockey Full of Bourbon
          Tango Till They're Sore
          9th & Hennepin
          Gun Street Girl
          Blind Love (w/Keith Richards & Robert Quine)
          Innocent When You Dream
          I'll Be Gone
          Cold Cold Ground
          Train Song
          Jesus Gonna Be Here
          A Little Rain
          Goin' Out West
          I Don't Wanna Grow Up
          Russian Dance
          What's He Building?
          Black Market Baby
          Chocolate Jesus

          LD

          --- Lisa <lmerlin01@...> wrote:
          > Ok, if you were going to put together a comp of Tom Waits for
          > someone not familiar with him, what songs would you pick? What
          > about Nick Cave?

          =====
          "After 35 years of show business people already forget who you are ... just like what's his name ... you know, the guy ... he always wore the shirt?"
          --Krusty the Clown

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Bill Silvers
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
            A couple of early ones not mentioned yet that I love are "I Never
            Talk To Strangers" (if you don't mind Bette Midler, who's great in
            the song) and "Jack and Neal: California Here I Come." "Frank's Wild
            Years" (the song) is a favorite, too.

            b.s.
          • Wilson, Carl
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
              Lance's list is good but I'm going to do my own version anyway. <g>

              This would be a two-disc set, with sequencing TBA:

              Early Tom:
              I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love With You
              Please Call Me, Baby
              Martha
              The Heart of Saturday Night
              Shiver Me Timbers
              Eggs & Sausage
              Tom Traubert's Blues
              Step Right Up
              The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)
              Pasties and a G-String
              Burma Shave
              Jack & Neal
              A Foreign Affair
              Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis
              Kentucky Avenue
              Heartattack & Vine
              Ruby's Arms
              Jersey Girl
              (and from the One from the Heart s/t):
              Picking Up After You
              Broken Bicycles
              Take Me Home

              (OR: Just make a copy of the whole Small Change album, which sums the period
              up)

              Later Tom:
              Frank's Wild Years
              Johnsburg, Illinois
              Swordfishtrombones
              Clap Hands
              Jockey Full of Bourbon
              Gun Street Girl
              Time
              Temptation
              Telephone Call from Istanbul
              Yesterday Is Here
              Cold Cold Ground
              Train Song
              (An instrumental from Night On Earth)
              Dirt in the Ground
              A Little Rain
              Strange Weather
              What's He Building?
              Cold Water
              Hold On
              Calliope (Inst.)
              Everything Goes to Hell
              Lost In the Harbour
              I'm Still Here
              Alice

              (OR: Just make a copy of the whole Rain Dogs album, which is a superb tour
              of Tom Waits World)
            • Steve Gardner
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
                It kinda depends on the person who's gonna get the comp, I think. If you think they'll like Tom Waits when he's weird, that's one thing, but if you are trying to turn them on to the genius of Tom Waits but are nervous about him turning them off with his sometimes harshness, then that's a whole 'nother thing.

                But how about I just tell you my favorite songs. And these will be really heavy on the Frank trilogy because I think those are three of the best records ever made. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've listened to those records, gotten drunk and felt really sorry for myself. <g>

                In chronological order...which pretty much works. Oh, and I have a penchant for the really depressing ones. I'm warning ya...

                Two disc set, of course:

                CD1
                Poncho's Lament
                I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You
                Rosie
                Ice Cream Man
                Tom Traubert's Blues
                Step Right Up
                Jitterbug Boy
                I Wish I Was In New Orleans
                Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
                Jersey Girl
                Ruby's Arms
                Shore Leave
                Johnsburg, IL
                16 Shells From a Thirty-Ought Six
                Town With No Cheer
                In The Neighborhood
                Soldier's Things
                Clap Hands

                CD2
                Jockey Full of Bourbon
                Tango Til They're Sore
                Hang Down Your Head
                Time
                9th & Hennepin
                Gun Street Girl
                Blind Love
                Downtown Train
                Anywhere I Lay My Head
                Innocent When You Dream
                Yesterday Is Here
                More Than Rain
                Way Down In The Hole
                Cold, Cold Ground
                Picture In A Frame
                Come On Up To The House

                steve

              • Kevin J. Hosey
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
                  Yikes, Steve; your initial paragraph is the same reasoning why I didn't
                  submit a list of someone I am sometimes fanatical about. And your list also
                  echoes mine very close, except I would have made a couple of deletions to
                  include a bit more recent material (and for depressing songs, I would have
                  included a favorite, Martha).
                  Anyone receiving any of the suggested tapes/CDs, if they are unaware of Tom
                  Waits' magic, will be in for a fine listening experience.

                  Kevin

                  >It kinda depends on the person who's gonna get the comp, I think. If you
                  think they'll like Tom Waits when he's weird, that's one thing, but if you
                  are trying to turn them on to the genius of Tom Waits but are nervous about
                  him turning them off with his sometimes harshness, then that's a whole
                  'nother thing.

                  >But how about I just tell you my favorite songs. And these will be really
                  heavy on the Frank trilogy because I think those are three of the best
                  records ever made. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've listened to
                  those records, gotten drunk and felt really sorry for myself. <g>

                  >In chronological order...which pretty much works. Oh, and I have a penchant
                  for the really depressing ones. I'm warning ya...

                  >Two disc set, of course:
                  >
                  >CD1
                  >Poncho's Lament
                  >I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You
                  >Rosie
                  >Ice Cream Man
                  >Tom Traubert's Blues
                  >Step Right Up
                  >Jitterbug Boy
                  >I Wish I Was In New Orleans
                  >Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
                  >Jersey Girl
                  >Ruby's Arms
                  >Shore Leave
                  >Johnsburg, IL
                  >16 Shells From a Thirty-Ought Six
                  >Town With No Cheer
                  >In The Neighborhood
                  >Soldier's Things
                  >Clap Hands
                  >
                  >CD2
                  >Jockey Full of Bourbon
                  >Tango Til They're Sore
                  >Hang Down Your Head
                  >Time
                  >9th & Hennepin
                  >Gun Street Girl
                  >Blind Love
                  >Downtown Train
                  >Anywhere I Lay My Head
                  >Innocent When You Dream
                  >Yesterday Is Here
                  >More Than Rain
                  >Way Down In The Hole
                  >Cold, Cold Ground
                  >Picture In A Frame
                  >Come On Up To The House
                  >
                  >steve
                • carl wilson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
                    Steve's second CD would make a very beautiful sounding compilation. I
                    could hear the sequence unroll as I read it.

                    But yeah, there's that accessibility question - I've been wondering
                    about that since I wrote my suggestions (which left off really
                    accessible stuff like "Goin' Out West" and "I Don't Wanna Grow Up,").
                    If you want to ease your friend into Waits albums, I'd say start with
                    copies of "Heart of Saturday Night" the album, for the early years
                    (or if they're more of a rock fan, maybe "Blue Valentines" -- as I
                    said before, "Small Change" is my favourite of those years, but it's
                    also deep into Waits' beat persona, which could be a turnoff), and
                    either "Rain Dogs" or the "Beautiful Maladies" comp for the later
                    years.

                    I've noticed to my surprise in recent years that "Bone Machine" seems
                    to be the best-known of his albums, or at least that's the impression
                    I've gotten -- anyone agree or disagree? I think it's because it was
                    the studio album that came out last before his long hiatus, so it had
                    time to linger and get passed around longest before being displaced
                    by something newer. I'm a little less fond of it because of the
                    religious themes - "Jesus Gonna Be Here" and "Black Wings," etc. It's
                    not that I'm anti-religious -- well, I am, but not as a musical theme
                    -- but that it seemed to me Waits was drawing on that imagery without
                    doing much with it, either pro or contra, and that it seemed a more
                    commonplace well to draw on than he usually does. Waits has his own
                    custom-made cliches, and he doesn't need anyone else's.

                    It's possible, though, that this stems from the overall concern about
                    mortality that runs through that disc, which is the most potent
                    aspect of it. "Dirt In the Ground" is one of the more affecting songs
                    about death I've ever heard:

                    "What does it matter, a dream of love or a dream of lies
                    We're all gonna be in the same place when we die
                    Your spirit don't leave knowing your face or your name
                    And the wind through your bones is all that remains
                    And we're all gonna be
                    We're all gonna be just dirt in the ground

                    The quill from a buzzard, the blood writes the word
                    I want to know, am I the sky or a bird?
                    'Cause hell is boiling over and heaven is full
                    We're chained to the world and we all gotta pull
                    And we're all gonna be just dirt in the ground.... [etc]."

                    The music to this tune draws on gospel, and when I say "draws" I mean
                    with the effort of straining on a long rope to yank it note by note
                    from the tradition, and when he gets to the tagline it suddenly
                    twists in his hands, yanking back, and at that moment gospel becomes
                    the blues (in his unique James Brown-influenced falsetto). It's such
                    a gorgeous example of Waits' preternatural ability to sound
                    completely instinctive while communicating a vast musicological
                    awareness and self-consciousness at the same time. Unbelievable.

                    carl w.