RE: [fearnwhiskey] Damien Rice?

  • Jim Caligiuri
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2003
      Kinda reminded me of Iron & Wine.

      Dull as watching paint dry and all the kids are sure to call it 'gorgeous'.

    • Chris Hill
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 30, 2003
        >Kinda reminded me of Iron & Wine.

        >Dull as watching paint dry and all the kids are sure to call
        >it 'gorgeous'.

        Taking a connect-the-dots approach here, bought the Decemberists
        album and EP after comparisons to I&W, Neutral Milk Hotel, and
        Sparklehorse, and they've become contenders for favorites so far
        this year. There's a new album in Sept. coming from the
        Decemberists that a definite buy. One of the members, Ezra
        Holbrook, has a couple albums under his belt that are personal
        faves: one as Jacob Marley's Ghost, one under his own name. The
        JMG album has some very touching songs dealing with Ezra's dad's
        death.

        Heard the Thorns album for the first time yesterday. Nice
        harmonies.

        Chris
      • Mock the DJ
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 30, 2003
          Speaking of Mark Dignam. He's opening for Alexi Murdoch (who's Scottish,
          FWIW) tonight at the Club Cafe (Pittsburgh).

          And speaking of the Frames, I personally felt they (and Matt Pond PA) blew
          the New Pornographers out of the water last year (or so) when all three
          shared a bill at the Club Cafe.

          Matt Pond PA is back in town on 8/6 (Quiet Storm) and the New Pornographers
          on 8/24 (Rosebud).

          Creating tangents,
          Paul

          >From: "Justin Hopper" <jhopper@...>
          >To: <fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [fearnwhiskey] Damien Rice?
          >Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:04:26 -0400
          >
          >Yeah - he's one of those post-Frames/DavidGray singer-songwriter types
          >outta
          >Dublin. If you like that song, you'll probably dig "O", his album - I think
          >it's pretty good, personally, but I'd understand people NOT liking it, as
          >it's heavy on the introspective yadda yadda stuff.
          >
          >Ya know, in Ireland, people like Will Oldham and (Smog) sell out big-ass
          >venues and get treated like rock stars, and the influential result is the
          >Frames, Damien Rice, Mark Dignam (Dublin-to-Pittsburgh transplant), etc.
          >nifty.
          >
          >Justin Hopper
          >Music Editor
          >Pittsburgh City Paper
          >650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
          >Pittsburgh, PA 15222
          >www.pghcitypaper.com
          >phone: 412-316-3342 x165
          >fax: 412-316-3388
          >jhopper@...

        • Lisa
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 30, 2003
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hill <chillout@g...> so
            we made it a
            > point to check out Rice on that mini-stage at the front of the
            > Gorge.

            No, I missed him. I only saw Joseph Arthur and My Morning Jacket,
            who blew the roof off the place, at the small stage.

            Lisa,
            I really like the Decemberists too, reminds me a lot of Neutral Milk
            and Clem Snide. Thanks to Steve G for that one :-)
          • Andy Benham
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
              I think you might have _Volcano_ already Lisa, along with a couple
              of others by Damien Rice. Try looking on those tapes I sent over.<g>

              I really like the album, and live he's something special. His
              interaction with his female backing singer, sorry can't remember her
              name, is a real treat. Saw him play last summer when he had a bad
              cold, but the throaty vocals just seemed to make the songs even
              better.

              Incidently, along the same lines (m/f harmonies), The Havenots are
              also worth a listen. The song writing is perhaps not as strong but
              those vocals, absolutely gorgeous.

              Andy
            • Andy Benham
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
                On 30 Jul 2003 at 6:27, Chris Hill wrote:

                > >Kinda reminded me of Iron & Wine.
                >
                > >Dull as watching paint dry and all the kids are sure to call
                > >it 'gorgeous'.
                >
                > Taking a connect-the-dots approach here, bought the Decemberists
                > album and EP after comparisons to I&W, Neutral Milk Hotel, and
                > Sparklehorse, and they've become contenders for favorites so far
                > this year. There's a new album in Sept. coming from the
                > Decemberists that a definite buy.

                Absolutely, there's a track from the new record available on the kill
                rock stars website, sounds upto the same standard as the previous
                material.

                Andy

                One of the members, Ezra
                > Holbrook, has a couple albums under his belt that are personal
                > faves: one as Jacob Marley's Ghost, one under his own name. The
                > JMG album has some very touching songs dealing with Ezra's dad's
                > death.
                >
                > Heard the Thorns album for the first time yesterday. Nice
                > harmonies.
                >
                > Chris

              • Jim Caligiuri
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
                  >> Incidently, along the same lines (m/f harmonies), The Havenots are
                  also worth a listen. The song writing is perhaps not as strong but
                  those vocals, absolutely *gorgeous*.

                  emphasis added.
                  I rest my case.
                • Andy Benham
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
                    On 31 Jul 2003 at 6:39, Jim Caligiuri wrote:

                    > >> Incidently, along the same lines (m/f harmonies), The Havenots are
                    > also worth a listen. The song writing is perhaps not as strong but
                    > those vocals, absolutely *gorgeous*.
                    >
                    > emphasis added.
                    > I rest my case.

                    Yup, I chose my words carefully. I just wanna be one of the *kids*

                    AndyAndrew Benham
                    Email A.S.Benham@...
                    Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                    Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                  • Lisa
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                      wrote:
                      > I think you might have _Volcano_ already Lisa, along with a couple
                      > of others by Damien Rice. Try looking on those tapes I sent
                      over.<g>

                      Well, don't I feel like the horses patoot <g>. In my defense, I
                      don't have a tapedeck at home and since I take the bus or ride my
                      bike to work, I'm rarely in my car to play casettes. I loved the
                      Delgados songs that you sent. I will remedy that situation and get
                      in my damn car

                      Thanks, Andy.

                      Lisa, who can't stop playing the Decemberists cd. I love it.