Re: [fearnwhiskey] Damien Rice?

  • Chris Hill
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2003
      I've got a burn I can pass you. If you like it, you can buy a copy
      of the original at his show here later in the summer. He's playing
      the Croc in late Sept. (date ??) Great singer/songwritery stuff on
      his album. So you didn't see him at the Sasquatch Festival? A
      friend on the NoDepression list was clued into him, so we made it a
      point to check out Rice on that mini-stage at the front of the
      Gorge. Liked it a lot - Sparklehorse-ish in flavor, with tracks
      like "The Blower's Daughter" and "Cannonball" jumping out.

      Chris
      np: Unwed Sailor, _The Faithful Anchor_
    • Jim Caligiuri
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 30, 2003
        Kinda reminded me of Iron & Wine.

        Dull as watching paint dry and all the kids are sure to call it 'gorgeous'.

      • Chris Hill
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 30, 2003
          >Kinda reminded me of Iron & Wine.

          >Dull as watching paint dry and all the kids are sure to call
          >it 'gorgeous'.

          Taking a connect-the-dots approach here, bought the Decemberists
          album and EP after comparisons to I&W, Neutral Milk Hotel, and
          Sparklehorse, and they've become contenders for favorites so far
          this year. There's a new album in Sept. coming from the
          Decemberists that a definite buy. One of the members, Ezra
          Holbrook, has a couple albums under his belt that are personal
          faves: one as Jacob Marley's Ghost, one under his own name. The
          JMG album has some very touching songs dealing with Ezra's dad's
          death.

          Heard the Thorns album for the first time yesterday. Nice
          harmonies.

          Chris
        • Mock the DJ
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 30, 2003
            Speaking of Mark Dignam. He's opening for Alexi Murdoch (who's Scottish,
            FWIW) tonight at the Club Cafe (Pittsburgh).

            And speaking of the Frames, I personally felt they (and Matt Pond PA) blew
            the New Pornographers out of the water last year (or so) when all three
            shared a bill at the Club Cafe.

            Matt Pond PA is back in town on 8/6 (Quiet Storm) and the New Pornographers
            on 8/24 (Rosebud).

            Creating tangents,
            Paul

            >From: "Justin Hopper" <jhopper@...>
            >To: <fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [fearnwhiskey] Damien Rice?
            >Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:04:26 -0400
            >
            >Yeah - he's one of those post-Frames/DavidGray singer-songwriter types
            >outta
            >Dublin. If you like that song, you'll probably dig "O", his album - I think
            >it's pretty good, personally, but I'd understand people NOT liking it, as
            >it's heavy on the introspective yadda yadda stuff.
            >
            >Ya know, in Ireland, people like Will Oldham and (Smog) sell out big-ass
            >venues and get treated like rock stars, and the influential result is the
            >Frames, Damien Rice, Mark Dignam (Dublin-to-Pittsburgh transplant), etc.
            >nifty.
            >
            >Justin Hopper
            >Music Editor
            >Pittsburgh City Paper
            >650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
            >Pittsburgh, PA 15222
            >www.pghcitypaper.com
            >phone: 412-316-3342 x165
            >fax: 412-316-3388
            >jhopper@...

          • Lisa
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 30, 2003
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hill <chillout@g...> so
              we made it a
              > point to check out Rice on that mini-stage at the front of the
              > Gorge.

              No, I missed him. I only saw Joseph Arthur and My Morning Jacket,
              who blew the roof off the place, at the small stage.

              Lisa,
              I really like the Decemberists too, reminds me a lot of Neutral Milk
              and Clem Snide. Thanks to Steve G for that one :-)
            • Andy Benham
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
                I think you might have _Volcano_ already Lisa, along with a couple
                of others by Damien Rice. Try looking on those tapes I sent over.<g>

                I really like the album, and live he's something special. His
                interaction with his female backing singer, sorry can't remember her
                name, is a real treat. Saw him play last summer when he had a bad
                cold, but the throaty vocals just seemed to make the songs even
                better.

                Incidently, along the same lines (m/f harmonies), The Havenots are
                also worth a listen. The song writing is perhaps not as strong but
                those vocals, absolutely gorgeous.

                Andy
              • Andy Benham
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
                  On 30 Jul 2003 at 6:27, Chris Hill wrote:

                  > >Kinda reminded me of Iron & Wine.
                  >
                  > >Dull as watching paint dry and all the kids are sure to call
                  > >it 'gorgeous'.
                  >
                  > Taking a connect-the-dots approach here, bought the Decemberists
                  > album and EP after comparisons to I&W, Neutral Milk Hotel, and
                  > Sparklehorse, and they've become contenders for favorites so far
                  > this year. There's a new album in Sept. coming from the
                  > Decemberists that a definite buy.

                  Absolutely, there's a track from the new record available on the kill
                  rock stars website, sounds upto the same standard as the previous
                  material.

                  Andy

                  One of the members, Ezra
                  > Holbrook, has a couple albums under his belt that are personal
                  > faves: one as Jacob Marley's Ghost, one under his own name. The
                  > JMG album has some very touching songs dealing with Ezra's dad's
                  > death.
                  >
                  > Heard the Thorns album for the first time yesterday. Nice
                  > harmonies.
                  >
                  > Chris

                • Jim Caligiuri
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
                    >> Incidently, along the same lines (m/f harmonies), The Havenots are
                    also worth a listen. The song writing is perhaps not as strong but
                    those vocals, absolutely *gorgeous*.

                    emphasis added.
                    I rest my case.
                  • Andy Benham
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
                      On 31 Jul 2003 at 6:39, Jim Caligiuri wrote:

                      > >> Incidently, along the same lines (m/f harmonies), The Havenots are
                      > also worth a listen. The song writing is perhaps not as strong but
                      > those vocals, absolutely *gorgeous*.
                      >
                      > emphasis added.
                      > I rest my case.

                      Yup, I chose my words carefully. I just wanna be one of the *kids*

                      AndyAndrew Benham
                      Email A.S.Benham@...
                      Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                      Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                    • Lisa
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
                        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                        wrote:
                        > I think you might have _Volcano_ already Lisa, along with a couple
                        > of others by Damien Rice. Try looking on those tapes I sent
                        over.<g>

                        Well, don't I feel like the horses patoot <g>. In my defense, I
                        don't have a tapedeck at home and since I take the bus or ride my
                        bike to work, I'm rarely in my car to play casettes. I loved the
                        Delgados songs that you sent. I will remedy that situation and get
                        in my damn car

                        Thanks, Andy.

                        Lisa, who can't stop playing the Decemberists cd. I love it.