for Bill and Lisa...

    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 29, 2002
      ...and lovers of pop and mopery. If you haven't heard Archer Prewitt's
      _Three_ yet, I have a feeling both of you will like it. Plenty of
      minor-key, shimmering pop (think Zombies) tinged with regret (also tinged
      with horns and soulful backing vocals).

      Carl Z.
    • wfsilvers
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
        > ...and lovers of pop and mopery. If you haven't heard Archer
        Prewitt's _Three_ yet, I have a feeling both of you will like it.
        Plenty of minor-key, shimmering pop (think Zombies) tinged with regret
        (also tinged with horns and soulful backing vocals).

        Funny you should mention the Zombies reference, since I've been
        listening to the ZOMBIE HEAVEN box lately. I've heard of Archer
        Prewitt, haven't heard a note before though.

        You *are* on the Thrill Jockey street team, right Carl? <g>

        b.s.
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
          --On Tuesday, July 30, 2002 7:30 AM +0000 wfsilvers <wfsilvers@...>
          wrote:

          > Funny you should mention the Zombies reference, since I've been
          > listening to the ZOMBIE HEAVEN box lately. I've heard of Archer
          > Prewitt, haven't heard a note before though.

          Prewitt used to play with jazzy indie rockers the Coctails, then with, uh,
          Brazilian-inflected jazzy indie-rockers the Sea and Cake. His solo work
          mines the mid-to-late 60s melancholoy pop of messers Argent and Blunstone,
          and maybe a touch of the Left Banke as well. Poppy and moody, and quite
          pretty.

          > You *are* on the Thrill Jockey street team, right Carl? <g>

          I think since the label's inception nine years ago. They do have a high
          signal-to-noise ratio for my tastes -- almost as much as Innerstate Records
          does.

          Carl "where are my hookers and blow?" Z.
        • lmerlin01
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
            > ...and lovers of pop and mopery. If you haven't heard Archer
            Prewitt's
            > _Three_ yet, I have a feeling both of you will like it.

            Thanks, Carl. I'll add that to the endless list of CD's I will buy
            when I FIND A FUCKING JOB. Ah, that outburst felt better <g>

            My Morning Jacket is playing a free in-store at Sonic Boom tonight at
            5:00 for you Seattle folks . They are playing tonight at Graceland
            with Ben Kweller (sp?). Who is he? I see his name everywhere but
            haven't heard him.

            Lisa
          • Rob Jefferson
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
              On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, lmerlin01 wrote:

              > My Morning Jacket is playing a free in-store at Sonic Boom tonight at
              > 5:00 for you Seattle folks . They are playing tonight at Graceland
              > with Ben Kweller (sp?). Who is he? I see his name everywhere but
              > haven't heard him.

              If this is the same Ben Kweller I'm thinking of, he used to be a member of
              a group called Radish, which was one of those mid-90s teenager alternative
              bands. Their music was largely forgettable, but they were one of the more
              notable casualties in a major-label bidding war. They gathered a lot of
              attention from a bunch of different labels. gathered even more hype,
              signed up with a major (when Ben was all of fourteen or fiften, if memory
              serves), and released a couple of albums that didn't really sell --
              rumor has it the label was focusing most of their marketing muscle
              on another teenager band at the time which *did* sell quite well, called
              Hanson.

              Perhaps this time, all the hype will pay off for him.

              rob
            • Lance Davis
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
                Hey Lisa, I'm no expert on this guy, but Kweller used to be in a
                Dallas-area band called Radish in the mid-90s. He was like 15
                years old, earning comparisons to Kurt Cobain (pre-suicide of
                course <g>), all of which helped fuel a massive bidding war.
                Remember bidding wars? Anyway, Radish got signed to a major and
                then subsequently went nowhere. I've heard a couple of songs of
                his and I have no recollection what they sound like ... middle
                of the road pop maybe??

                Incidentally, my wife babysat Ben years ago and she said he was
                a bedwetter. OK, I made that up ; ) But she did babysit him
                because they're both from Greenville, TX, which means that if
                nothing else, Kweller has managed to escape from hell with at
                least some of his talent and dignity intact.

                Personally, I think My Morning jacket should be headlining, but
                that's just me.

                Random thoughts from a hungry mind, Lance

                > Thanks, Carl. I'll add that to the endless list of CD's I will
                > buy
                > when I FIND A FUCKING JOB. Ah, that outburst felt better <g>
                >
                > My Morning Jacket is playing a free in-store at Sonic Boom
                > tonight at
                > 5:00 for you Seattle folks . They are playing tonight at
                > Graceland
                > with Ben Kweller (sp?). Who is he? I see his name everywhere
                > but
                > haven't heard him.
                >
                > Lisa

                =====
                "I know what you say, you say you serve the youth
                You serve them Bizkits and Korn with a spoon
                But I think you just serve you."
                --Brent Best

                http://health.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
                  --On Tuesday, July 30, 2002 1:45 PM -0400 Rob Jefferson
                  <jeffer@...> wrote:

                  > rumor has it the label was focusing most of their marketing muscle
                  > on another teenager band at the time which *did* sell quite well, called
                  > Hanson.

                  Did Radish have better haircuts than Hanson?

                  Carl Z.
                  who thought Hanson had a lot going for it, especially compared to most 90s
                  teen-oriented pop, but the Nelsonesque haircuts were a sticking point.
                • Kathleen Loebig
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
                    >My Morning Jacket is playing a free in-store at Sonic Boom >tonight at <BR>
                    >5:00 for you Seattle folks . They are playing tonight at >Graceland <BR>
                    >with Ben Kweller (sp?). Who is he? I see his name >everywhere but <BR>
                    >haven't heard him.<BR>

                    I haven't heard him either, but a friend did and had high praise for what she gleened from the radio. Unfortunately, I shall be wrapped up by master classes in Kirkland until 8:30 at which point I shall head to the EMP for Television....

                    If anyone goes, I'd love to hear a review on Kweller/My Mourning Jacket live.

                    KL
                    Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/

                    Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/

                    Powered by Outblaze
                  • Lance Davis
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
                      > Carl Z.
                      > who thought Hanson had a lot going for it, especially
                      > compared to most 90s teen-oriented pop, but the
                      > Nelsonesque haircuts were a sticking point.

                      Nelson Muntz from the Simpsons? Hmmm ... I never thought about
                      it before, but their hair was Muntz-esque.

                      Lance

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
                        <tt>
                        > Carl Z.<BR>
                        > who thought Hanson had a lot going for it, especially <BR>
                        > compared to most 90s teen-oriented pop, but the <BR>
                        > Nelsonesque haircuts were a sticking point.<BR>
                        <BR>
                        Nelson Muntz from the Simpsons? Hmmm ... I never thought about<BR>
                        it before, but their hair was Muntz-esque.<BR>
                        <BR>

                        Hrmm...perhaps, but none of them had a cute little polk-dot number like this:

                        http://www.radish.rawks.com/photos/nye001.jpg

                        Kathleen

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
                          So, THAT'S what Ben Kweller looks like!?! Well, now I know why
                          the Jacket's opening for him/her.

                          Lance

                          > Hrmm...perhaps, but none of them had a cute little polk-dot
                          > number like this:
                          >
                          > http://www.radish.rawks.com/photos/nye001.jpg
                          >
                          > Kathleen

                          http://health.yahoo.com
                        • wfsilvers
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 30, 2002
                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                            > So, THAT'S what Ben Kweller looks like!?! Well, now I know why
                            > the Jacket's opening for him/her.

                            Um...because what appears to be a gal named Ben rouses the same "what
                            the hell?" dissonance aroused by Jim James vocals?

                            b.s.
                          • Lance Davis
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 31, 2002
                              <<Um...because what appears to be a gal named Ben rouses the
                              same "what the hell?" dissonance aroused by Jim James vocals?
                              ... b.s.>>

                              Hmmmm ... good point. Although, I don't know what's more
                              disconcerting about the Jacket, Jim's vocals or the acres of
                              reverb it goes through before it reaches my ears <g>. BTW, did
                              anyone attend this show last night? It was last night, right?

                              Lance

                              =====

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 31, 2002
                                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:

                                > BTW, did
                                > anyone attend this show last night? It was last night, right?
                                >
                                > Lance

                                I didn't go, wish I could have.

                                On another subject that I know Carl and Laura will like <g>. American
                                Music Club yet again. I told a friend that I would make him an AMC
                                comp. I have my fave songs in mind but what would you fellow fans put
                                on it if it were you? Also, since I had to leave lots of books and
                                CD's at my mothers in California and don't have AMC's California with
                                me. I can't do a comp without it as Highway 5, Pale Skinny Girl, Last
                                Harbor etc etc are on it (some of my fave songs). Anyone have the
                                record on mp3 that I can download from your ftp site?

                                Lisa
                              • Hill, Christopher J
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 31, 2002
                                  Have you heard Portastatic's cover of that song, on
                                  the AMC tribute comp? It's beautiful - best cover on
                                  that, imo.

                                  "Come on, beautiful..."

                                  Chris
                                  > I would put Firefly on the compilation 16 times.
                                  >
                                  > Ok, I'm joking...a little.
                                  >
                                  > steve
                                • Steve Gardner
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 31, 2002
                                    I would put Firefly on the compilation 16 times.

                                    Ok, I'm joking...a little.

                                    steve
                                    > anyone attend this show last night? It was last night, right?
                                    >
                                    > Lance

                                    I didn't go, wish I could have.

                                    On another subject that I know Carl and Laura will like <g>. American
                                    Music Club yet again. I told a friend that I would make him an AMC
                                    comp. I have my fave songs in mind but what would you fellow fans put
                                    on it if it were you? Also, since I had to leave lots of books and
                                    CD's at my mothers in California and don't have AMC's California with
                                    me. I can't do a comp without it as Highway 5, Pale Skinny Girl, Last
                                    Harbor etc etc are on it (some of my fave songs). Anyone have the
                                    record on mp3 that I can download from your ftp site?

                                    Lisa

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  • lmerlin01
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 31, 2002
                                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...> wrote:
                                      > I would put Firefly on the compilation 16 times.
                                      >
                                      > Ok, I'm joking...a little.
                                      >
                                      > steve

                                      That is my all time fave AMC song (close tie with Why Won't You
                                      Stay?). I just may put it on the comp 16 times if I can get my hands
                                      on "California".

                                      Lisa, "your so pretty baby, your the prettiest thing I know, your so
                                      pretty baby, where did you go?"
                                    • Steve Gardner
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 31, 2002
                                        >Lisa, "your so pretty baby, your the prettiest thing I know, your so
                                        >pretty baby, where did you go?"

                                        Followed by one of the best guitar solos in rock history. Short and very
                                        sweet.

                                        C'mon beautiful we'll go sit on the front lawn
                                        We'll watch the fireflies as the sun goes down
                                        They don't live too long, just a flash and then they're gone
                                        We'll laugh at them and watch the sun go down

                                        *sigh*

                                        steve
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 31, 2002
                                          --On Wednesday, July 31, 2002 4:36 PM +0000 lmerlin01 <lmerlin01@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > On another subject that I know Carl and Laura will like <g>. American
                                          > Music Club yet again. I told a friend that I would make him an AMC
                                          > comp. I have my fave songs in mind but what would you fellow fans put
                                          > on it if it were you?

                                          You can't go wrong with the entire _Everclear_ record, and if you have its
                                          companion _Rise_ EP, you can put on "Chanel No. 5". That song has my
                                          favorite use of pedal steel guitar ever, as it just shimmers all over
                                          Eitzel's voice. What else? Depending on availability of discs, I'd
                                          include:

                                          From _The Restless Stranger:
                                          Room Above the Club

                                          From _Engine_:
                                          Big Night
                                          Outside This Bar
                                          Gary's Song
                                          Nightwatchman
                                          Art of Love (I love noise, it's true)
                                          This Year

                                          From _California_:
                                          Firefly
                                          Western Sky
                                          Pale Skinny Girl
                                          Laughingstock
                                          Highway 5

                                          From _United Kingdom_:
                                          Heaven of Your Hands
                                          United Kingdom
                                          Kathleen

                                          From _Everclear_:
                                          The whole damn thing. It's my favorite record in the alt.country tent.
                                          Bruce Kaphan should get an award for work above and beyond the call of
                                          pedal-steel duty, and Eitzel's writing's never been more succinct.

                                          From _Rise_:
                                          Chanel No. 5
                                          The Right Thing (a fine country song)

                                          From _Mercury_:
                                          I've Been a Mess
                                          Apology for an Accident
                                          Johnny Mathis's Feet
                                          What Godzilla Said...
                                          and maybe Gratitude Walks

                                          From _San Francisco_:
                                          I'd pick nothing because I hate the production and a lot of the writing
                                          isn't up to snuff. For completion's sake, I'd throw in Fearless.

                                          If you're also going for solo Eitzel, I'd pick the following:

                                          From the Toiling Midgets' _Son_:
                                          Faux Pony

                                          From _Songs of Love, Live_:
                                          Take Courage (there's another version floating around, but this one is one
                                          of the most stark and beautiful vocals Eitzel's ever recorded)

                                          From _60 Watt Silver Lining_:
                                          Mission Rock Resort (a great song about addiction)
                                          The Wild Sea

                                          From _West_:
                                          Free of Harm

                                          From _Caught in a Trap_:
                                          If I Had a Gun
                                          Go Away

                                          From _The Invisible Man_:
                                          I'd Give Anything
                                          Sleep
                                          To the Sea

                                          From _Music for Courage & Confidence_:
                                          Rehearsals for Retirement

                                          > Also, since I had to leave lots of books and
                                          > CD's at my mothers in California and don't have AMC's California with
                                          > me. I can't do a comp without it as Highway 5, Pale Skinny Girl, Last
                                          > Harbor etc etc are on it (some of my fave songs). Anyone have the
                                          > record on mp3 that I can download from your ftp site?

                                          If someone could instruct this Luddite how to set up my ftp site so that
                                          it's open, I could import my copy of _California_. That web site Chris
                                          mentioned (www.americanmusicclub.com) also has (or had) some good downloads
                                          -- if it has "Losing Yourself" (a demo that he decided to omit from _The
                                          Invisible Man_), get that, as well as _Dream in Your Heart_ from the
                                          _Lovers' Leap USA_ tour-only disc.

                                          Carl Z.
                                        • Rob Jefferson
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 31, 2002
                                            On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Carl Zimring wrote:

                                            > >From _The Restless Stranger:
                                            > Room Above the Club

                                            Oddly, I like "Away Down the Street" quite a bit, but probably not
                                            essential for a compilation.

                                            > >From _Songs of Love, Live_:
                                            > Take Courage (there's another version floating around, but this one is one
                                            > of the most stark and beautiful vocals Eitzel's ever recorded)

                                            I also like the a capella version of "Room Above the Club" and the spare
                                            version of "What Godzilla Said..." (called "Nothing Can Bring Me Down", if
                                            I remember correctly).

                                            > If someone could instruct this Luddite how to set up my ftp site so that
                                            > it's open, I could import my copy of _California_. That web site Chris
                                            > mentioned (www.americanmusicclub.com) also has (or had) some good downloads
                                            > -- if it has "Losing Yourself" (a demo that he decided to omit from _The
                                            > Invisible Man_), get that, as well as _Dream in Your Heart_ from the
                                            > _Lovers' Leap USA_ tour-only disc.

                                            If you're talking about your Andrew account space, that probably wouldn't
                                            work -- you might be able to upload (assuming you're under the account
                                            quota), but I don't think ftp.andrew.cmu.edu allows for anonymous download
                                            access, especially to user directories. If my department here wasn't
                                            behind a firewall, I'd set up an ftp server on my desktop machine for this
                                            purpose.

                                            rob
                                          • lmerlin01
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 31, 2002
                                              I got AMC's California covered now so no ftping necessary. But thanks
                                              anyway! I don't have all the Eitzel solos/promos/singles etc so my
                                              friend will have to make do with what I do have <g>

                                              back to work,
                                              Lisa
                                            • ahacksaw1
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
                                                Ooh, this should be fun...

                                                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

                                                > From _The Restless Stranger:
                                                > Room Above the Club

                                                Yup.

                                                > From _Engine_:
                                                > Big Night
                                                > Outside This Bar
                                                > Gary's Song
                                                > Nightwatchman
                                                > Art of Love (I love noise, it's true)
                                                > This Year

                                                I'd substitute "Mom's TV" for "Art of Love," I'd consider subbing "At
                                                My Mercy" for "Nightwatchman" (mainly because of Danny Pearson's
                                                gorgeous vocal) and I'd add "Clouds." The whole record was so
                                                influenced by Mark's mother's death that I don't think it would make
                                                sense to exclude "Mom's TV." And more than any other songs I can think
                                                of, "Gary's Song" and "Outside This Bar" capture the essence of Eitzel
                                                (IMO), so of course those two have to be on there.

                                                _Engine_ was AMC's current record when I became a fan, way back in
                                                1987, and no doubt because of that, it's still my favorite (though I
                                                think _Mercury_ is their best). If I were making a comp, I'd probably
                                                just put the whole first side of the vinyl LP (i.e. "Big Night"
                                                through "Nightwatchman") on there, because for months, that was what I
                                                listened to over and over again; I didn't even pay attention to side
                                                two until I'd had the record for at least six months.

                                                > From _California_:
                                                > Firefly
                                                > Western Sky
                                                > Pale Skinny Girl
                                                > Laughingstock
                                                > Highway 5

                                                I'd go with the first two, but not the others (I appreciate "Highway
                                                5," but I usually find myself skipping it when I listen to the
                                                record). Instead, I'd include "Lonely," "Somewhere," "Blue and Grey
                                                Shirt," and of course, "Last Harbor."

                                                > From _United Kingdom_:
                                                > Heaven of Your Hands
                                                > United Kingdom
                                                > Kathleen

                                                Yes to "Kathleen" (which contains one of my favorite Eitzel opening
                                                lines: "When no one cares for you, you're made of straw"), no to the
                                                other two. Instead, I'd have "Dreamers of the Dream," mainly because I
                                                first heard that one at an in-store that AMC did in Mpls. in 1988; I
                                                still have a horrible cassette copy of a horrible recording of it made
                                                on a boombox at the store by Terry "the Half-deaf Soundman" Katzman,
                                                and it fucking rules. Oh, and I might throw in "Here They Roll Down"
                                                too.

                                                > From _Everclear_:
                                                > The whole damn thing. It's my favorite record in the alt.country
                                                tent.
                                                > Bruce Kaphan should get an award for work above and beyond the call
                                                of
                                                > pedal-steel duty, and Eitzel's writing's never been more succinct.

                                                I love _Everclear_, but not as much as Carl does. <g> My choices:

                                                Why Won't You Stay
                                                Rise
                                                Crabwalk
                                                Royal Cafe

                                                > From _Rise_:
                                                > Chanel No. 5
                                                > The Right Thing (a fine country song)

                                                I'd just skip this EP entirely, and go for the version of "Chanel No.
                                                5" that's on _Songs of Love_, unless that's cheating.

                                                > From _Mercury_:
                                                > I've Been a Mess
                                                > Apology for an Accident
                                                > Johnny Mathis's Feet
                                                > What Godzilla Said...
                                                > and maybe Gratitude Walks

                                                This is the one where I'd just put the whole record on; I think it
                                                works best as a piece, and there's hardly a track I'd be willing to
                                                eliminate (okay, except for "More Hopes and Dreams," I guess). "If I
                                                Had a Hammer" may very well be my favorite Eitzel song ever, but
                                                really, there's not a song on here that I don't absolutely love.

                                                > From _San Francisco_:
                                                > I'd pick nothing because I hate the production and a lot of the
                                                writing
                                                > isn't up to snuff. For completion's sake, I'd throw in Fearless.

                                                I'd go with "I Broke My Promise," because I like it but mainly because
                                                it brings the recurring Kathleen theme to some sort of close.
                                                (Kathleen, a former girlfriend and longtime obsession of Mark's,
                                                stopped being mentioned much in later AMC shows because by then Mark
                                                had come all the way out of the closet, but if you saw them in the
                                                early days, you were likely to know more about Kathleen Marie Burns
                                                than was strictly necessary.)

                                                > From _Songs of Love, Live_:
                                                > Take Courage (there's another version floating around, but this one
                                                is one
                                                > of the most stark and beautiful vocals Eitzel's ever recorded)

                                                And "Chanel No. 5," as I said above.

                                                > From _60 Watt Silver Lining_:
                                                > Mission Rock Resort (a great song about addiction)
                                                > The Wild Sea

                                                I've never understood why people love "Mission Rock" and "Some
                                                Bartenders"; I find them kind of boring and self-indulgent, but I
                                                don't think I've ever found an Eitzel fan who agreed with me. My
                                                choices from _60 Watt_:

                                                There Is No Easy Way Down
                                                When My Plane Finally Goes Down
                                                Southend on Sea (how can you resist a line like "You said to me,
                                                'you're from California, and you're as dumb as can be'"?)
                                                and especially:
                                                Sacred Heart, another candidate for my favorite Eitzel song ever, and
                                                far and away my favorite of his post-AMC songs

                                                > From _West_:
                                                > Free of Harm

                                                I'll go along with that and add "Stunned and Frozen."

                                                And since _West_ was the last Eitzel record that I paid serious
                                                attention to, that's where I'll stop. To everyone's relief, I'm sure.
                                                <g>
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
                                                  --On Thursday, August 1, 2002 3:16 PM +0000 ahacksaw1
                                                  <ahacksaw@...> wrote:

                                                  > Ooh, this should be fun...

                                                  I could do this forever. (And just may!)

                                                  >> From _Engine_:
                                                  > I'd substitute "Mom's TV" for "Art of Love," I'd consider subbing "At
                                                  > My Mercy" for "Nightwatchman" (mainly because of Danny Pearson's
                                                  > gorgeous vocal) and I'd add "Clouds."

                                                  Excellent points both -- "Clouds" is a great rock song (from a time when
                                                  Eitzel actually used standard tuning and even used power chords) and "At My
                                                  Mercy" has some of Pearson's best vocals prior to the Clodhopper album.
                                                  (He also contributes a haunting backing vocal to the title track of _United
                                                  Kingdom_.)

                                                  > _Engine_ was AMC's current record when I became a fan, way back in
                                                  > 1987, and no doubt because of that, it's still my favorite (though I
                                                  > think _Mercury_ is their best). If I were making a comp, I'd probably
                                                  > just put the whole first side of the vinyl LP (i.e. "Big Night"
                                                  > through "Nightwatchman") on there, because for months, that was what I
                                                  > listened to over and over again; I didn't even pay attention to side
                                                  > two until I'd had the record for at least six months.

                                                  It was my introduction to the band as well at a time I was just starting
                                                  college. I was way into noise (see my Happy Flowers comment from earlier
                                                  this week) and adored the wall of guitar drone on Art of Love. Side one's
                                                  a little catchier than side two, but the whole thing holds up really well.
                                                  I am mystified as to why it wasn't a huge record at the time -- even in the
                                                  bay area, it didn't get much airplay.

                                                  >> From _California_:
                                                  > I'd go with the first two, but not the others (I appreciate "Highway
                                                  > 5," but I usually find myself skipping it when I listen to the
                                                  > record).

                                                  "Highway 5" for me is the best reason the record's called _California_.
                                                  The stomach-churning guitar reminds me of a couple of harrowing near-misses
                                                  in the fog on that road.

                                                  > I love _Everclear_, but not as much as Carl does. <g> My choices:
                                                  > Royal Cafe

                                                  Perhaps my favorite AMC song, at least on record -- I never heard them
                                                  perform it in concert. My Morning Jacket fans who enjoy the reverb might
                                                  like _Everclear_...

                                                  >> From _60 Watt Silver Lining_:
                                                  >> Mission Rock Resort (a great song about addiction)
                                                  >> The Wild Sea
                                                  >>
                                                  > I've never understood why people love "Mission Rock" and "Some
                                                  > Bartenders"; I find them kind of boring and self-indulgent, but I
                                                  > don't think I've ever found an Eitzel fan who agreed with me.

                                                  "Some Bartenders" sounds like bad beatnick poetry, right down to the
                                                  percussion. "Mission Rock Resort" (another song about Ms. Burns, as was
                                                  the postmortem "I'd Give Anything" from _The Invisible Man_) does a better
                                                  job of voicing the frustrations of living with an addict than any song that
                                                  comes to my mind, especially in the couplet "if I could talk it out of you,
                                                  I would. If I could beat it out of you, I would." And also the tedium of
                                                  addiction, in the repeated mantra "nothing changes, not ever". I think
                                                  it's one of his 3 or 4 finest songs.

                                                  >> From _West_:
                                                  >> Free of Harm
                                                  >>
                                                  > I'll go along with that and add "Stunned and Frozen."
                                                  >
                                                  > And since _West_ was the last Eitzel record that I paid serious
                                                  > attention to, that's where I'll stop. To everyone's relief, I'm sure.
                                                  > <g>

                                                  Too much is never enough! I will say that I think _The Invisible Man_ is
                                                  Eitzel's best disc since _Mercury_, and in some ways it revisits the
                                                  lushness of that album. I am quite curious about the upcoming record of
                                                  old AMC songs with Greek folk instrumentation he's recorded.

                                                  Carl Z.
                                                • Wilson, Carl
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
                                                    >I am quite curious about the upcoming record
                                                    > of old AMC songs with Greek folk
                                                    > instrumentation he's recorded.

                                                    Did you just throw that in to see if we were still reading, or is it true?

                                                    carl w.
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
                                                      --On Thursday, August 1, 2002 4:59 PM -0400 "Wilson, Carl"
                                                      <cwilson@...> wrote:

                                                      >> I am quite curious about the upcoming record
                                                      >> of old AMC songs with Greek folk
                                                      >> instrumentation he's recorded.
                                                      >
                                                      > Did you just throw that in to see if we were still reading, or is it true?

                                                      It is true! From <http://www.americanmusicclub.com/>:

                                                      29 January 02

                                                      More big Eitzel news: The covers record, 'Courage and Confidence,' comes
                                                      out April 9th on New West Records. The American Music Club covers record
                                                      done by Mark and members of a Greek rembetika-style band comes out this
                                                      Fall on Greek label Hitchyke Records, and there is a new album for Matador
                                                      due later in the year as well.

                                                      ***

                                                      "would I lie to you?"
                                                      Carl Z.
                                                    • ahacksaw1
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
                                                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

                                                        > More big Eitzel news: The covers record, 'Courage and Confidence,'
                                                        comes
                                                        > out April 9th on New West Records. The American Music Club covers
                                                        record
                                                        > done by Mark and members of a Greek rembetika-style band comes out
                                                        this
                                                        > Fall on Greek label Hitchyke Records,

                                                        The mind boggles. Does Allen Baekeland know about this?
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
                                                          --On Thursday, August 1, 2002 9:33 PM +0000 ahacksaw1
                                                          <ahacksaw@...> wrote:

                                                          > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                                          >

                                                          >> The American Music Club covers
                                                          > record
                                                          >> done by Mark and members of a Greek rembetika-style band comes out
                                                          > this
                                                          >> Fall on Greek label Hitchyke Records,
                                                          >
                                                          > The mind boggles. Does Allen Baekeland know about this?

                                                          I'm not sure. Lord only knows what prompted this project, but soon AMC
                                                          songs can safely be called Country & Eastern. I'm very curious to hear
                                                          this, not least to see what songs they'll tackle.

                                                          Carl Z.
                                                        • Hill, Christopher J
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
                                                            Someone on the Firefly (Eitzel/AMC) list posted a URL for an
                                                            article that mentioned the tracks. 10, iirc, and not the most
                                                            obvious choices. I *think* "Royal Cafe" is one of them, but
                                                            don't hold me to it. I didn't bookmark the article, and a
                                                            Google search wasn't successful.

                                                            Chris