Clip: RIP Herbie Mann

  • Barry Mazor
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
      Back in my college DJ days, I used to play some of that CD Mann did with
      Duane Allman, as I recall..anywya, heres this news, in a busy week for obits:

      Jazz Flutist Herbie Mann Dies at 73

      By DEBORAH BAKER
      .c The Associated Press

      SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) - Herbie Mann, the versatile jazz flutist who
      combined a variety of musical styles and deeply influenced genres
      such as world music and fusion, has died. He was 73.

      Mann, who had battled prostate cancer since 1997, died late Tuesday,
      according to a friend, Sy Johnson. A funeral home in Santa Fe said it
      was making arrangements with Mann's family.

      Mann had moved to Santa Fe in the late 1980s after spending most of
      his life in his native New York City.

      Mann always performed different styles, then combined them. He did
      bebop and cool jazz, and toured Africa, Brazil and Japan listening
      for new music.

      ``I just think he was a wonderful Pied Piper of jazz, drawing our
      attention what's happening around the world and the country,'' said
      Johnson, a New York City composer who had known Mann for some 40
      years. He called Mann ``a guy who loved music of all kinds an and
      eager to explore it all.''

      Family of Mann, formed in 1973, played world music before it was
      called that. Mann's best-selling ``Memphis Underground'' was a
      founding recording of fusion.

      If a genie offered Mann anything he wanted, he said in a 1995
      Associated Press interview, he would choose a big band including
      three rhythm sections for straight-ahead jazz, Brazilian music and
      soul.

      ``I'd be able to play all that music; I wouldn't have to play any one
      thing all the time,'' he said. ``And I would always like to try to
      evolve the music to another step. Once you reach the point where you
      play it perfectly in a genre, to me it gets boring. Then I want to
      try to evolve by combining things.''

      When he left Atlantic Records in 1979 he started producing his own
      records, and later he launched his own label, Kokopelli. In all, he
      made more than 100 albums as leader.

      Touring, he said, was ``a killer, the hours and food. I always
      thought if you made good records your records could do the traveling
      for you.''

      Album titles reflect Mann's versatility: ``At the Village Gate''
      (1962); ``African Suite'' (1959); ``Brasil, Bossa Nova & Blues''
      (1962); ``Latin Mann'' 1965; ``Memphis Two Step'' (1971); and
      ``Eastern European Roots'' (2000).

      ``As much as I love music, I never really thought it was my life. I
      thought it was the vehicle I used to express my life,'' he said.

      Born Herbert Solomon in Brooklyn in 1930, he started his career when
      he was 15, playing in groups at Catskill Mountain resorts for the
      summer. He studied saxophone but preferred flute. In the 1950s, after
      three years in the Army playing with the Army Band in Trieste, Italy,
      Mann toured France and Scandinavia.

      He credited visits to Africa and Brazil in the early 1960s with
      changing his musical outlook.

      ``When I came back (from Africa), I hired (Babatunde) Olatunji, a
      Nigerian drummer living here, and we started doing music based on
      African motifs,'' he told the AP.

      As for the Brazil tour, he said, ``Revelation doesn't touch it. Up to
      that point, the ethnic music I had heard had 14 drums playing
      different parts but the melodies were very simple. Then I saw the
      `Black Orpheus' movie and heard multiple rhythm parts along with the
      most beautiful melodies in the world.

      He returned and recorded with Brazilian musicians, including Antonio
      Carlos Jobim and a 19-year-old Sergio Mendes.

      At 70, he put out a CD called ``Eastern European Roots.''

      ``I've played Cuban music, but I'm not Cuban,'' he told the Rocky
      Mountain News. ``I've played Brazilian music, but I'm not Brazilian.
      I've played jazz, but I'm not African-American. What I am is an
      Eastern European Jew. I love all the music I've played, but I wanted
      something that is mine. ... I had been writing this music for years,
      but I never thought there was a place for me to play it.''

      ``I'm playing better than I've ever played,'' Mann said in the 1995
      Associated Press interview.

      ``As far as I'm concerned, almost everything I've done in the past
      has been on the surface or just a hair below,'' he said. ``Now I'm
      getting serious.''

      His last live gig was May 3 at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage
      Festival, where ``he got a standing ovation for five minutes,''
      Johnson said.

      ``He had a lot of plans,'' Johnson said. ``His time may have been
      limited and he knew it, but he was a man of energy and an active life
      that would constantly churn up things,'' Johnson said.

      Johnson said Mann is survived by his wife, Janeal Arison; sons Paul
      and Geoff; daughters Claudia Mann-Basler and Laura Mann; his mother,
      Ruth Solomon; and a sister, Judy Burnstein.
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
        That's sad. Mann dug electric guitarists; he kept Sonny Sharrock employed
        for a while in the late 60s.

        It is a busy week for obituaries with Kate Hepburn and Buddy Hackett...

        Carl Z.

        --On Wednesday, July 2, 2003 7:11 PM +0000 Barry Mazor
        <brmaz@...> wrote:

        > Back in my college DJ days, I used to play some of that CD Mann did with
        > Duane Allman, as I recall..anywya, heres this news, in a busy week for
        > obits:
        >

        > Jazz Flutist Herbie Mann Dies at 73
      • Stevo
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
          wrote:
          > That's sad. Mann dug electric guitarists; he kept Sonny Sharrock
          employed
          > for a while in the late 60s.
          >
          > something like 8 years I heard.
          I'm still waiting for my copy of the mid 70s Sonny & Linda Sharrock
          cd Paradise to arrive.
          anybody know it?

          Herbie Mann's Memphis Underground is fantastic too BTW
          Stevo
          Np 17 hours
        • Jason Witherspoon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
            >Herbie Mann's Memphis Underground is fantastic too BTW
            >Stevo

            Try to find _Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go_; same band, similar feel,
            but Sharrock gets to "go off" a lot more-- great to hear in the
            deep-pocketed r&b context Ayers/Marcus/Carr/Vitous are laying down....
            --

            Jason Witherspoon
            ---------

            "...almost any idea which jogs you out of your current abstractions
            may be better than nothing." -- Alfred North Whitehead

            http://www.konformist.com/911/war-is-a-racket.htm
          • Carl Abraham Zimring
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
              --On Wednesday, July 2, 2003 7:27 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...> wrote:

              > I'm still waiting for my copy of the mid 70s Sonny & Linda Sharrock
              > cd Paradise to arrive.
              > anybody know it?

              We got it at the station a few months ago. I like Linda's wordless vocal
              interplay with Sonny's guitar on it, but I'm more partial to Sonny's
              late-period work with Bill Lawell and Last Exit. That's some of the best
              electric guitar work in any context that I have ever heard.

              Carl Z.
            • Jeff Wall
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
                I orginally posted this to p2. FIgured y'all might be interested

                Herbie Mann may have been known primarily as a jazz flutist, but he
                made a lot of records that folks would find to be really accessable
                and twang friendly.

                There was the 1969 recording Memphis Underground that was produced by
                Tom Dowd that featured Hold On, I'm Coming and Chain of Fools. Reggie
                Young also played guitar on it.

                In 1970 he released Muscle Shoals Nitty Gritty featuring the famed
                Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section of Barry Beckett, Roger Hawkins, David
                Hood, and Eddie Hinton

                1971's Push Push totally rocks. Duane Allman with Booker T and the
                MG's! Well, at least Duck Dunn and Al Jackson.

                Other good albums from this time period exploring that synthesis of
                soul, funk, & jazz were Mississippi Gambler and Hold On I'm Coming.

                If you were into the sounds of Sea Level, then you would love the
                Memphis Muscle Shoals era Herbie Mann records. It's a more funky kind
                of jazz that us white redneck non-intellectual types can understand
                and appreciate.

                Also recomended is Herbie's London Underground record that features
                Albert Lee, Mick Taylor and Stephan Grapelli.

                Wall

                n.p. Herbie Mann - Push Push
              • Barry Mazor
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 3, 2003
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Wall" <xxl_sized_dork@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > In 1970 he released Muscle Shoals Nitty Gritty featuring the famed
                  > Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section of Barry Beckett, Roger Hawkins, David
                  > Hood, and Eddie Hinton
                  >
                  > 1971's Push Push totally rocks. Duane Allman with Booker T and the
                  > MG's! Well, at least Duck Dunn and Al Jackson.

                  Yeah; THOSE are the ones I'm talking about--which I playd on my radio show
                  when they came out--especially Push Push.

                  And this is one (small) o reason why it's laways good to have Mr. . Wall his
                  own self around.

                  Barry