[fearnwhiskey] Clarence White > Fillmore Byrds review

  • Lance Davis
    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 2, 2003
      Sorry, crack smoking at work finally caught up to me! What I was
      ineffectively trying to say is that Wall is 100% right. BTW, I
      just realized that Carl didn't say Wall was here, but that he
      should be here ... good lord!

      Y'all should check out Clarence White's work with the Kentucky
      Colonels - I'd suggest the CD Livin' In The Past as the best
      starting point - and then step up to the plate with this
      Fillmore West disc. Hell, I put together a 3-CD set of The Best
      of Clarence White if anyone's interested. What made him so great
      (and unique) was that he could hit a bunch of notes, but he'd do
      so by playing around the main melody with any number of
      countermelodies while leaving perfect spaces in his solos. He
      also had an unequalled, even peculiar sense of rhythm, an
      ability to syncopate his runs against the beat. But he'd always
      resolve these odd rhythms seamlessly by the end of the measure.
      His solo on You're Still On My Mind from the Fillmore disc
      illustrates this perfectly. He was a cat who always landed on
      his feet.

      I have argued in the past - vainly, mind you - that Clarence and
      Chris Hillman have more of a claim to creating country-rock than
      Gram. But since Gram's story is sexier, that will probably be
      the According To Hoyle birth of country-rock. Let it be known,
      though, that Clarence was weaving country and rock - on record -
      well before GP, both with the Byrds and on his numerous
      sessions.

      LD .. who NEVER gets tired of talking, writing, and reading
      about Clarence (I'll just try to be less sloppy in the future)

      =====
      "Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit."
      --Somerset Maugham

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Nina Melechen
      Message 46 of 46 , Jul 3, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Mazor" <brmaz@e...> wrote:
        > Cat Stevens?
        > >

        > He could't help it that he sounded like the Jetson's dog. Really.

        Yeah, well, he could have helped it that he was a condescending
        anti-feminist prick. Oh, wait, he's *still* a condescending
        anti-feminist prick. Never mind.

        Nina M.