Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Van

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 2, 2003
      --On Wednesday, July 2, 2003 5:56 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...> wrote:

      > Does he have a cut of point for anybody?

      I'd avoid, at least unless you can't keep scratching the itch, the
      following:

      Too Long In Exile
      Avalon Sunset
      Hard Nose the Highway
      That contractual obligation disc of gibberish he cut for Bert Burns. The
      various Bang! comps have some worthy material, not least "TB Sheets" -- an
      immediate precedent to _Astral Weeks_ in theme.

      > Always did love the Them stuff too, I've got the 2cd that's pretty
      > much everything.noticed the last time i was looking at it that Eric
      > Bell the foundr Thin lizzy geezer was in the band for a few moments.
      > I think that Van wrote some of the best ever falling out of love
      > songs in Them. I'll probably be corrected.

      Not by me. And I bet Phil Lynott was a huge fan.

      Carl Z.
    • Lance Davis
      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 3, 2003
        I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this, but the flute
        part on Out On The Road gives the song a heavy Astral Weeks
        flavor. Of course, there's no hair on fire vocal gymnastics, but
        it does have that late night quietude about it.

        LD

        =====
        "Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit."
        --Somerset Maugham

        http://sbc.yahoo.com