[fearnwhiskey] Re: 4th of July/His Mockster's Voice

  • Jason Witherspoon
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 2, 2003
      At 4:18 PM +0000 7/2/03, Stevo wrote:
      >--- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "obeymybrain" <obeymybrain@y...>
      >wrote:
      >
      >> Speaking of Buffy St Marie and caterwauling,
      >>
      >personally I like Buffy's elliptical singing style.
      >i think that Illu minations is a fantastic lp and have been wondering
      >what else by her I need.

      _She Used to Want to be a Ballerina_, the follow-up to
      _Illuminations_, is pretty cool-- you can really feel the Nitzsche
      production & Cooder-isms-- kind of a _Performance_ soundtrack vibe,
      not surprisingly. Of course, Allmusic.com cites it as an example of
      her less-successful rock-based material (preferring her earlier folk
      stuff); even not having heard much of her earlier stuff, I'm pretty
      sure I'd disagree w/that assessment based on my warped personal taste.
      --

      Jason Witherspoon
      ---------

      "...almost any idea which jogs you out of your current abstractions
      may be better than nothing." -- Alfred North Whitehead

      http://www.konformist.com/911/war-is-a-racket.htm
    • Lance Davis
      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 3, 2003
        I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this, but the flute
        part on Out On The Road gives the song a heavy Astral Weeks
        flavor. Of course, there's no hair on fire vocal gymnastics, but
        it does have that late night quietude about it.

        LD

        =====
        "Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit."
        --Somerset Maugham

        http://sbc.yahoo.com