not a playlist check out: terrific new Clem Snide "Soft Spot" CD

  • yoyoguy1a
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003
      terrific new Clem Snide "Soft Spot" CD

      Hi Friends,

      Clem Snide (http://www.clemsnide.com) NY's favorite urban
      art-country moodswingers, released their fourth record "Soft
      Spot" last week.

      Here's what the San Francisco Weekly said about "Soft Spot":

      Clem Snide
      Soft Spot

      After a couple of listens to its newest record, Soft Spot, Clem
      Snide (named after a character in William Burroughs' Naked
      Lunch) sounds as if it must be from England -- its immaculate,
      literate, and evocatively orchestrated country-shaded pop/rock
      resembles the decidedly British sophisto-pop of the
      Tindersticks, the Divine Comedy, and the Lilac Time. But nope,
      it's one of "ours," based in the NYC/Brooklyn area, a sphere
      typically not associated with pensive sophistry (at least since the
      glory days of Cole Porter and Lou Reed). And yet, despite its
      less-than-bucolic environs, Clem Snide at times even
      approaches the earthy-elegant majesty of hipsters' Patron Saint
      of Downhearted Melodramatic Pop, Oklahoma-born Lee
      Hazlewood.

      Vocalist/guitarist/songwriter Eef Barzelay's tunes are like little
      soundtracks for very personal indie films, yet he sidesteps the
      stilted, artsy-fartsy aspects that frequently plague such movies
      (and a lot of indie rock, for that matter). His songs are rich with
      detailed, reflective melancholy, but that feeling is
      counterbalanced with compassion and kindhearted humor. In
      "Happy Birthday," a spaghetti western-sounding, twang-laden
      tribute to a friend, he sings in a hospitable, parched near-drawl
      not unlike Son Volt's Jay Farrar's (though not as world-weary), "I
      hope that your friends are true and funny/ And your girlfriends are
      sweet, and wear tight pants/ And after your heart is gently broken/
      I hope that you get a second chance." Barzelay's movies for the
      ear are scored with organs, violin, cello, banjo, chimes, and
      vibraphone, along with the usual guitar-bass-drums;
      arrangements are winsome and intricate but never fussy or
      precious. What's more, there's a lot of variety to be had: an
      acoustic meditation ("Find Love") follows a booming, Phil
      Spector- shaded epic ("Action"). The lush, poetic "All Green"
      might well be what iconic songster Gram Parsons had in mind
      when he said he was aiming for a sound called "cosmic
      American music."
      Clem Snide's latest is proof positive (for those who need it) that
      immaculately crafted, literate rock/pop is not only the province of
      Steely Dan and our well-read Brit cousins. This one gets that
      elusive three-thumbs-way-up rating.
      – Mark Keresman

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009ATKV/ref=pd_
      sxp_elt_l1/104-1040377-8283100

      Thanks for reading!
    • samchecker
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "yoyoguy1a" <de@t...> wrote:
        > terrific new Clem Snide "Soft Spot" CD
        >
        > Hi Friends,
        >
        > Clem Snide (http://www.clemsnide.com) NY's favorite urban
        > art-country moodswingers, released their fourth record "Soft
        > Spot" last week.

        Hey, the Clem Snide street team has arrived! Did you get a new T-shirt
        for this or just an invite to a "very special" listening party?

        Mark
      • Rob Jefferson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003
          On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, samchecker wrote:

          > Hey, the Clem Snide street team has arrived! Did you get a new T-shirt
          > for this or just an invite to a "very special" listening party?

          On a related note, Pitchfork has provided the world with a deliciously
          brutal review of said Clem Snide album:

          http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/c/clem-snide/soft-spot.shtml

          Enjoy!

          rob
        • Dave Purcell
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003
            Rob Jefferson wrote:

            > On a related note, Pitchfork has provided the world with a deliciously

            > brutal review of said Clem Snide album:

            Thanks, Rob. That's wonderful. I hate Clem Snide. A lot. I hated them
            even before Eef was a massive dick during a soundcheck when a band I was
            in opened. I used to use this spray mixture and a spackling blade to
            remove wallpaper, now I just play that whiney fucker's voice and it
            comes right off.

            dp
          • Perfect Sound Forever
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
              > Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
              > From: Rob Jefferson <jeffer@...>
              > Subject: Re: Re: not a playlist check out: terrific new Clem Snide "Soft Spot" CD
              >
              > On a related note, Pitchfork has provided the world with a deliciously
              > brutal review of said Clem Snide album:
              >
              > http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/c/clem-snide/soft-spot.shtml

              Good reivew. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't like the
              Snide CD.

              Even when their first one came out, I wondered "what the hell are they
              doing that Camper Van Beethoven didn't already do much better over a
              decade ago?"

              Best,
              Jason
              --
              Perfect Sound Forever
              online music magazine with warped perspectives
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
                I love Clem Snide. Always have. I am disappointed in the new one, though.

                And I'm really disappointed that they are using street teams in this manner. Street Teams don't have to be bad (ie deceptive).

                steve
                > Hey, the Clem Snide street team has arrived! Did you get a new T-shirt
                > for this or just an invite to a "very special" listening party?

                On a related note, Pitchfork has provided the world with a deliciously
                brutal review of said Clem Snide album:

                http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/c/clem-snide/soft-spot.shtml

                Enjoy!

                rob

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Carl Abraham Zimring
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
                  --On Wednesday, July 2, 2003 10:08 AM -0400 Steve Gardner
                  <steve@...> wrote:

                  > I love Clem Snide. Always have. I am disappointed in the new one, though.

                  The new one doesn't do much for me either, but I can't hate a band that
                  gives me an opportunity to air a song called "The Junky Jews". Only Fats
                  Waller's "Cash for Your Trash" comes as close to discussing my research
                  area.

                  > And I'm really disappointed that they are using street teams in this
                  > manner. Street Teams don't have to be bad (ie deceptive).

                  Keep this in mind record peoples! Steve is the Irving Azoff of bluegrass
                  and can buy and sell you all day long.* Play nice.

                  *only a foot taller. And blond.