PLAYLIST: Fear & Whiskey 6/30/03

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003
      Here's the playlist for tonight's episode of Fear & Whiskey, heard from
      7-9pm ET on 88.3fm in Pittsburgh and <http://www.wrct.org> over the
      internet. Past playlists are archived at
      <http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~cz28/fear.html>; a discussion group concerning
      the kinds of music played on the show may be found at
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fearnwhiskey/>. (Recent subjects include
      You Am I, Randy Newman, Pere Ubu covers and songs about the 4th of July.
      The Fourth -- as the birthday of both the United States and my wife -- was
      the focus of this week's show.) To subscribe, send email to
      <fearnwhiskey-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>.

      Carl

      ARTIST / SONG
      jeff parker / holiday for a despot

      peter hammill / birthday special
      robyn hitchcock / america
      drive-by truckers / marry me
      jenny mae / runaway
      peter jefferies / coming home with you

      woody guthrie / this land is your land
      alejandro escovedo / wave
      elvis costello / american without tears
      scott miller / amtrak crescent
      [@ Allegheny Landing Park 7/25.]
      uncle tupelo / coalminers

      steve earle / snake oil
      x / fourth of july
      jon langford & his sadies / american pageant
      band / tears of rage

      randy newman / sail away
      randy newman / dixie flier
      randy newman / new orleans wins the war
      randy newman / sigmund freud's impersonation of albert einstein in america
      randy newman / follow the flag
      randy newman / it's money that matters
      randy newman / my country
      [I could have played an hour of Newman, and had some requests, but I
      limited myself to half an hour of his ruminations on America.]

      steve wynn / california style
      dave alvin / fourth of july
      [My favorite version of this song, from _King of California_.]
      townes van zandt / colorado bound
      gillian welch / lowlands
      [@ Carnegie Lecture Hall 9/20.]
      ray charles / america the beautiful
      [Kind of hard to follow this song, especially since we don't have Marvin
      Gaye's version of "The Star-Spangled Banner".]

      van morrison / almost independence day
      john fahey / summertime