Neil Young's Greendale

  • Perfect Sound Forever
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2003
      Anyone else seen Neil on his recent tour? When I saw him in New York a few
      days ago, the first hour or so of the show was taken up by his new
      album/project called Greendale. He had actors, sets and screens to show
      the story as he and Crazy Horse played the songs while he narrated between
      the scenes/tunes. The story seems to be about a feisty grand-father and a
      son (or relative) of his who shoots a cop and is jailed and a
      grand-daughter who becomes an environmental activist. I likely jumbled the
      plot here but you get the idea- I had nose-bleed seats and had to clutch
      binoculars much of the time. The songs were pretty good and my hat's off
      to Neil for doing something ambitious like this.

      The 2nd half where he did his old hits was kind of disappointing. He
      basically played side 2 of RUST NEVER SLEEPS but except for "Hey Hey My
      My," he and the band didn't seem to have their hearts in it. The encore,
      "Rockin' In the Free World," sounded good but the grand total for the
      oldies was about 5 tunes. No "Tonight's The Night," nothing before RUST
      and no solo acoustic pieces. Just seems like they wanted to get the stuff
      out of the way.

      Best,
      Jason

      Perfect Sound Forever
      online music magazine with warped perspectives
      perfect-sound@...
      http://www.perfectsoundforever.com