Any One Recall Local Band APES OF GOD from late 70's?

  • obeymybrain
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2003
      If anyone remembers the brilliant WT Koltek and his mid-late 70's
      Pittsburgh radio show on a then newly minted WYEP-FM, please help
      with this if you are able: He often, or often enough, played a band
      called The Apes of God (after the Wyndham Lewis novel). The song I
      recall is titled "The East Is Red." If memory serves, it was, in
      part, quotations from the little red book of Chairman Mao. Better
      the "Little Red Book" of Bert Bacharach and Arthur Lee, say I, but
      despite the apparent(?) - and unfortunate - verbal upraised fist
      salute to a bloated totalitarian monster-thug (but then again, maybe
      that wasn't the intention; maybe they were aiming at satire)
      something about this song has haunted me for years. Despite the
      militant affectations, this song, as I'm remembering it, was weirdly
      avant all the same. It had a sort of metronome/ windshield wiper time
      signature; it crept up on you and then crawled all over you like
      ants. The closest I can come to what it resembled in like manner was
      the RESIDENTS' Tourniquet of Roses.
      I believe they were a local group; I believe the song was from a
      single (I'd love to know the B side)...and somehow I've come to
      recall that Reid Paley was involved. Or was it that what followed was
      a song by The Five and that's why I came up with that association.
      Help?
      Tommorow never knows -- but maybe Tom does?
      Oleh