Re: [fearnwhiskey] memorial day songs

  • Lance Davis
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24 8:00 AM
      Drive By Truckers, Plastic Flowers on the Highway

      Lance .. back to work

      --- czimring <cz28@...> wrote:
      > Since my next show is on Memorial Day, I'm going to devote the
      > show
      > (or at least a large chunk of the show) to the theme of
      > memorials,
      > military or otherwise. Does anyone have any favorites they'd
      > like to
      > share? This gives me a way to test the depths of our record
      > library.
      >
      > Carl Z.

      =====
      "Marge: Nobody told us how tough it is to raise kids. They almost drove me to fortified wine.

      Homer: Then we figured out we could park them in front of the TV. That's how I was raised, and I turned out TV."

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • Laura A Watt
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24 8:14 AM
        Billy Bragg's "Tank Park Salute" -- not specifically military, but a
        gorgeous song.

        laura
      • jlswedberg
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24 8:56 AM
          Okay, I saw My Morning Jacket play live last night. For the first three
          songs I thought I was going to be bored. Then some kind of firework
          went off in my brain, and now I'm hooked. They are INTENSE. They are *
          in* their music while they're playing it. And the singer's voice is
          stunning. I see a lot of similarities to Centro-Matic, but also many
          intriguing differences.

          I only saw the singer's face once, though. There is a lot of hair in
          that band, to say the least. :-)

          So they have, what, three records? Can somebody compare and contrast
          them for me? I know they're a lot different from the live show, but
          that's all I know. (Apologies, because I know this has been discussed
          elsewhere to some extent already.)

          --Jamie S.
        • david_michael_siegel
          Message 4 of 9 , May 24 9:13 AM
            Jamie wrote-
            > So they have, what, three records? Can somebody compare and
            contrast
            > them for me? I know they're a lot different from the live show, but
            > that's all I know. (Apologies, because I know this has been
            discussed
            > elsewhere to some extent already.)

            They've got 2 full-lengths out, plus 4 EPs. "At Dawn", their 2nd
            album is (for me) the essential one to have. Most of what they've
            been playing lately in their live sets is from there. The main
            difference is that the album doesn't rock as hard as they do live.
            It's very pretty and steeped in reverb though. Their first album's
            called "Tennessee Fire" and is pretty good as well.

            I have the two most recent EPs. "Chocolate & Ice" just came out on
            Badman and is kind of self-indulgent to my ears (a 24-min. song,
            another track that's just a series of phone messages). I've only
            given it a couple of listens so far though. The split EP they just
            put out on Jade Tree w/ Songs:Ohia is worth getting, it builds on the
            sound from "At Dawn". And I'm in love with the way Jade Tree does
            business off of their website. No shipping charges, great prices
            ($10 for the aforementioned EP, $12 for the new Pedro The Lion).
            Plus if you pre-order from them it ships 11 days before the street
            date.

            Hope that helps a bit.

            David
          • Patrick Randerson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 24 9:42 AM
              My Favorite My Morning Jacket is the split EP with Songs:Ohia. There's not
              much there, but it's damn good. The song "O is the one that is
              real" is a high point of my 2002 listening experience so far. So if you
              don't get the EP, at least download that song from audiogalaxy or
              somesuch.
            • Jason E Baldwin
              Message 6 of 9 , May 24 10:03 AM
                Message 7 of 9 , May 24 1:40 PM
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Patrick Randerson <pjr@m...> wrote:

                  > My Favorite My Morning Jacket is the split EP with Songs:Ohia.
                  There's not
                  > much there, but it's damn good. The song "O is the one that is
                  > real" is a high point of my 2002 listening experience so far. So if you
                  > don't get the EP, at least download that song from audiogalaxy or
                  > somesuch.

                  I really like "How Do You Know?" from that EP. I know very little
                  about the band other than that the lead singer has a gorgeous, soulful
                  voice. I'm curious to hear what they're like live.

                  Carl Z.
                • jlswedberg
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24 1:46 PM
                    Thanks, all of you! I'm taking notes and excited to hear the recorded
                    material.
                    Cheers,
                    Jamie

                    P.S. WEEKEND!!!!!!