memorial day songs

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2002
      Since my next show is on Memorial Day, I'm going to devote the show
      (or at least a large chunk of the show) to the theme of memorials,
      military or otherwise. Does anyone have any favorites they'd like to
      share? This gives me a way to test the depths of our record library.

      Carl Z.
    • Lance Davis
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24, 2002
        Drive By Truckers, Plastic Flowers on the Highway

        Lance .. back to work

        --- czimring <cz28@...> wrote:
        > Since my next show is on Memorial Day, I'm going to devote the
        > show
        > (or at least a large chunk of the show) to the theme of
        > memorials,
        > military or otherwise. Does anyone have any favorites they'd
        > like to
        > share? This gives me a way to test the depths of our record
        > library.
        >
        > Carl Z.

        =====
        "Marge: Nobody told us how tough it is to raise kids. They almost drove me to fortified wine.

        Homer: Then we figured out we could park them in front of the TV. That's how I was raised, and I turned out TV."

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • Laura A Watt
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24, 2002
          Billy Bragg's "Tank Park Salute" -- not specifically military, but a
          gorgeous song.

          laura
        • jlswedberg
          Message 4 of 9 , May 24, 2002
            Okay, I saw My Morning Jacket play live last night. For the first three
            songs I thought I was going to be bored. Then some kind of firework
            went off in my brain, and now I'm hooked. They are INTENSE. They are *
            in* their music while they're playing it. And the singer's voice is
            stunning. I see a lot of similarities to Centro-Matic, but also many
            intriguing differences.

            I only saw the singer's face once, though. There is a lot of hair in
            that band, to say the least. :-)

            So they have, what, three records? Can somebody compare and contrast
            them for me? I know they're a lot different from the live show, but
            that's all I know. (Apologies, because I know this has been discussed
            elsewhere to some extent already.)

            --Jamie S.
          • david_michael_siegel
            Message 5 of 9 , May 24, 2002
              Jamie wrote-
              > So they have, what, three records? Can somebody compare and
              contrast
              > them for me? I know they're a lot different from the live show, but
              > that's all I know. (Apologies, because I know this has been
              discussed
              > elsewhere to some extent already.)

              They've got 2 full-lengths out, plus 4 EPs. "At Dawn", their 2nd
              album is (for me) the essential one to have. Most of what they've
              been playing lately in their live sets is from there. The main
              difference is that the album doesn't rock as hard as they do live.
              It's very pretty and steeped in reverb though. Their first album's
              called "Tennessee Fire" and is pretty good as well.

              I have the two most recent EPs. "Chocolate & Ice" just came out on
              Badman and is kind of self-indulgent to my ears (a 24-min. song,
              another track that's just a series of phone messages). I've only
              given it a couple of listens so far though. The split EP they just
              put out on Jade Tree w/ Songs:Ohia is worth getting, it builds on the
              sound from "At Dawn". And I'm in love with the way Jade Tree does
              business off of their website. No shipping charges, great prices
              ($10 for the aforementioned EP, $12 for the new Pedro The Lion).
              Plus if you pre-order from them it ships 11 days before the street
              date.

              Hope that helps a bit.

              David
            • Patrick Randerson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 24, 2002
                My Favorite My Morning Jacket is the split EP with Songs:Ohia. There's not
                much there, but it's damn good. The song "O is the one that is
                real" is a high point of my 2002 listening experience so far. So if you
                don't get the EP, at least download that song from audiogalaxy or
                somesuch.
              • Jason E Baldwin
                Message 7 of 9 , May 24, 2002
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24, 2002
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Patrick Randerson <pjr@m...> wrote:

                    > My Favorite My Morning Jacket is the split EP with Songs:Ohia.
                    There's not
                    > much there, but it's damn good. The song "O is the one that is
                    > real" is a high point of my 2002 listening experience so far. So if you
                    > don't get the EP, at least download that song from audiogalaxy or
                    > somesuch.

                    I really like "How Do You Know?" from that EP. I know very little
                    about the band other than that the lead singer has a gorgeous, soulful
                    voice. I'm curious to hear what they're like live.

                    Carl Z.
                  • jlswedberg
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 24, 2002
                      Thanks, all of you! I'm taking notes and excited to hear the recorded
                      material.
                      Cheers,
                      Jamie

                      P.S. WEEKEND!!!!!!