hello!

  • lmerlin01
    Message 1 of 26 , May 18, 2002
      I am very excited about this. Does it mean we can talk about Joel
      Phelps, Kristin Hersh, and Mark Eitzel among others ?!!! Sign me up
      then! Woohoo!

      The sun finally came out in Seattle (it's 3:30).Off to see Jim Roll
      at the Tractor.Happy weekend

      Lisa
      PS:Hi Laura!
    • Dan Rigney
      Message 2 of 26 , May 18, 2002
        I'm hoping we can get signed glossies of Mr. Z., or an Efendubya Coffee mug or a vegan matzoh ball soup recipe out of our membership in this list.

        Dan "or a Carl Zimring scrap metal decoder ring" Rigney
      • robwestcott.rm
        Message 3 of 26 , May 18, 2002
          > The sun finally came out in Seattle (it's 3:30).Off to see Jim
          > Roll at the Tractor.

          hey lisa. tell jim that rob in bloomington said hi.

          rob.
          themaryjanes.com
        • czimring
          Message 4 of 26 , May 19, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Dan Rigney <rigney@i...> wrote:
            > I'm hoping we can get signed glossies of Mr. Z., or an Efendubya
            Coffee mug
            > or a vegan matzoh ball soup recipe out of our membership in this
            list.

            > Dan "or a Carl Zimring scrap metal decoder ring" Rigney

            Cool, I'm getting pledges! Dan, you can have all of those things if
            we somehow get you to St. Louis for Twangfest this year. (If there's
            anyone on list who's unaware of Twangfest, check out www.twangfest.org
            and click around.)

            I'm not above bribery,
            Carl
          • czimring
            Message 5 of 26 , May 19, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
              > I am very excited about this. Does it mean we can talk about Joel
              > Phelps, Kristin Hersh, and Mark Eitzel among others ?!!! Sign me up
              > then! Woohoo!

              Yep, all of the above. News-wise, I don't know if Joel has anything
              coming out -- last I heard he had moved to Vancouver and was going to
              get married. KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
              where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night) the same weekend as
              Twangfest, and Eitzel supposedly is going to reunite with some of his
              old AMC bandmates to record a new album in a few months. I'm enjoying
              his goofy new covers album.

              Carl
            • Lance Davis
              Message 6 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -

                So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
                coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
                read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
                now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
                than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
                around?

                Lance

                =====
                "Marge: Nobody told us how tough it is to raise kids. They almost drove me to fortified wine.

                Homer: Then we figured out we could park them in front of the TV. That's how I was raised, and I turned out TV."

                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                http://launch.yahoo.com
              • czimring
                Message 7 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                  > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
                  >
                  > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
                  > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
                  > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
                  > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
                  > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
                  > around?

                  Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out
                  on Touch & Go the first week in June. So far, it's my favorite record
                  released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet) mixing the
                  boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's gorgeous
                  singing. (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup on much
                  of the disc.)

                  Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few years,
                  starting when Andy Cohen went to law school. I think Tim Midgett
                  works for Shure. I selfishly love the move because it means they're
                  much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.

                  Carl
                • Dan Rigney
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                    OK_

                    I've seen Silkworm come up in several places now as a name, but have heard nothing. I'm curious. Where's a good place to sample 'em?

                    Dan "if you hear about something three times from three different unrelated sources, check it out" Rigney

                    At 04:03 PM 5/19/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                    > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
                    >
                    > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
                    > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
                    > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
                    > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
                    > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
                    > around?

                    Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out
                    on Touch & Go the first week in June.  So far, it's my favorite record
                    released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet) mixing the
                    boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's gorgeous
                    singing.  (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup on much
                    of the disc.)

                    Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few years,
                    starting when Andy Cohen went to law school.  I think Tim Midgett
                    works for Shure.  I selfishly love the move because it means they're
                    much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.

                    Carl

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    9c13ab.jpg
                    9c147e.jpg

                  • Lance Davis
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                      Good luck Dan. I tried Googling but only came up with MP3s for
                      Silkworm's side project with Steve Milkmoose, the Crust
                      Brothers. That's alright, but not very representative.

                      As for starting points, YMMV, but I think Libertine's the high
                      water mark for the Joel Phelps era - and still my favorite SKWM
                      record. Three good-to-great songwriters finally hitting their
                      stride, a very spacious and deep recording (courtesy of Steve
                      Albini, who knows about such things), and phat ol' guitars. I
                      don't know what other people call this kind of music - emo,
                      maybe? - but Television, Thin White Rope, Joy Division and a
                      bunch of square-jawed Krautrockers seem to be the obvious
                      touchstones.

                      Of the post-Phelps records I think Firewater has the
                      widest-ranging collection of songs, but Developer and Lifestyle
                      are both well-worth checking out. Then's there's the comps,
                      which should NOT be your starting point.

                      Hope some of this helps. Lance

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 19, 2002

                        > Yep, all of the above. News-wise, I don't know if Joel has anything
                        > coming out -- last I heard he had moved to Vancouver and was going
                        > get married.

                        That's what I hear too. I'm bummed because I really thought I would
                        be able to see him now that I'm in Seattle.I'm the only one out of
                        the P2 contingency who like him though (they equate Joel with the
                        sound a cat makes when you step on it's tail <grin>).

                        I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
                        ever get any money)

                        KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                        > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)

                        She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
                        here?!

                        We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
                        backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
                        strings on the record. I like her.

                        Lisa
                      • wfsilvers
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                          "czimring" wrote:

                          > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                          > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night) the same weekend as
                          > Twangfest

                          It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
                          occasionally, doesn't she?
                          Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
                          that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

                          b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
                          Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
                          MJ's are OK too
                        • czimring
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
                            > I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
                            > ever get any money)

                            There's that money thing. I love Silkworm and I love Joel Phelps, but
                            I think they've made their best music away from each other. If you
                            want to hear their best stuff with Joel, I agree that _Libertine_ is
                            the high point of that incarnation of the band, though the Matador
                            compilation _Even a Blind Chicken_ collects a lot of good material.
                            I'd start with the first trio record _Firewater_ (especially if you
                            like drinking songs -- gotta get the "whiskey" content in for this
                            list!), but any of the subsequent records save _Developer_ are fine
                            places to start. The new one is splendid; if you want to wait a
                            couple of weeks and dig Kelly Hogan, that would make an excellent
                            introduction.

                            I don't remember if they have any mp3's at the official band website,
                            but maybe Touch & Go or www.12xu.net (their UK label) have something.

                            > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                            > > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)
                            >
                            > She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
                            > here?!

                            She comes to town at least once a year. Don't know if a new record is
                            in the works or if she's just doing a tour to tour.

                            > We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
                            > backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
                            > strings on the record. I like her.

                            I haven't heard this yet but will check to see if we have it in at the
                            station. Is she from Seattle?

                            Carl
                          • czimring
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                              About Ms. Hersh "wfsilvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                              > It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
                              > occasionally, doesn't she?

                              About once a year, so I'm not slitting my wrists over missing this
                              one. Pittsburgh's a funny town -- we can go weeks with few good shows
                              and then there's a cluster of can't-miss shows. I left town for a
                              week in 1998 and managed to miss very-rare appearances by Paul Kelly
                              and Pere Ubu. Kelly finally came back last month but I'm still
                              waiting on Ubu. I'll miss KH this time, but luckily Alejandro
                              Escovedo plays a free oudoor show the following Tuesday.

                              > Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
                              > that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

                              They did not, but Janas unveiled a few new songs, some of which sound
                              like she's been listening to gospel. Good stuff, I hope they make it
                              to a CD comes out before too long.

                              > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
                              > Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
                              > MJ's are OK too

                              Did they put a record out last year, Bill? If you bring in the Silos,
                              that's quite a fertile family tree.

                              Carl
                            • Patrick Randerson
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                                It's been so long since I've had an earful of fear and whiskey!
                                Though when I saw the group name, I thought it was fernwhiskey -- some
                                group about making pre-cambrian alcohol or a bunch of washington state
                                hippies.

                                Anyhow, I'll argue that Firewater is probably the best Silkworm record,
                                but I have a hard time picking between the foursome-era Libertine and In
                                the West. In the West is rough and raw, and there's some really great
                                tracks on it.
                                Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
                                into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

                                Here's hoping that the new one smacks me in the face like In the West did.

                                I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
                                of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
                                long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
                                new one worth it?

                                I've yet to find any radio in Columbus, OH that gives me my new music fix,
                                so I'm stuck with recommendations + Audiogalaxy to tell me what to buy.
                              • Rob Jefferson
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                  On Sun, 19 May 2002, Patrick Randerson wrote:

                                  > Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
                                  > into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

                                  I really couldn't get into Developer. It was an okay album, but a bit of
                                  a letdown, since there wasn't much that stood out (except, perhaps, for
                                  "Ice Station Zebra"). I didn't mind Blueblood too much -- true, it wasn't
                                  a great album, but it had its share of moments, even if occasionally they
                                  sounded downright bored. Aside from "Treat the New Guy Right" and the
                                  Faces cover, I wasn't too keen on Lifestyle. Just seemed...rather
                                  mediocre for them.

                                  > I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
                                  > of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
                                  > long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
                                  > new one worth it?

                                  There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.
                                  Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                                  her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky Motel.
                                  Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable -- but
                                  that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with it. I
                                  still say to pick it up, though.

                                  And...err...hi, Patrick. Long time no see. :)

                                  rob
                                • Patrick Randerson
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                    > There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.

                                    Apparently not. Shows how much I pay attention to anything these days. I
                                    saw Sunny Border Blue in the store, read some reviews online, and never
                                    bothered to look at the release date. So yeah, that was a long time ago --
                                    I need to get out of the lab and into the record store more often.

                                    I'll just sit down and be quiet...
                                  • czimring
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...> wrote:
                                      > Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                                      > her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky
                                      Motel.
                                      > Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable
                                      -- but
                                      > that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with
                                      it. I
                                      > still say to pick it up, though.

                                      It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                                      _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                                      than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                                      striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                                      Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                                      haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                                      Carl
                                    • Laura A. Watt
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                        It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                                        _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                                        than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                                        striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                                        Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                                        haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                                        She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!

                                        laura
                                      • czimring
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                          > She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!
                                          >
                                          > laura

                                          Really? Who's in the band? I eagerly await this one...

                                          Carl
                                        • Laura A. Watt
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                            Same band, I'm pretty sure -- I've not been following the latest
                                            news, but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the website,
                                            http://www.throwingmusic.com

                                            The new Works in Progress is up and waiting to be subscribed to, too
                                            -- there have been three songs so far, two of which she more or less
                                            said "this is when i knew it was going to have to be a Muses
                                            record"...

                                            full of incomplete information,
                                            laura
                                          • czimring
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                              > full of incomplete information,
                                              > laura

                                              Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                                              that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
                                              aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
                                              at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                                              Carl
                                            • wfsilvers
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

                                                > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
                                                Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

                                                > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

                                                Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
                                                RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
                                                under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
                                                it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
                                                heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
                                                ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
                                                which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
                                                record isn't getting.

                                                > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

                                                Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
                                                which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
                                                all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
                                                Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
                                                <g>

                                                b.s.
                                              • lmerlin01
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

                                                  > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                                                  > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
                                                  they
                                                  > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
                                                  set
                                                  > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                                                  Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                                  Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                                  about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                                  one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                                  so I can play it now?

                                                  Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
                                                  a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
                                                  grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
                                                  the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
                                                  everyone. Check, check , check it out!

                                                  Lisa
                                                • Laura A Watt
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                                                    Lisa wrote:

                                                    >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                                    >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                                    >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                                    >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                                    >so I can play it now?

                                                    It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                                    called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                                    it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                                    fan ever since.

                                                    A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
                                                    folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
                                                    to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
                                                    poll results, go to

                                                    http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

                                                    I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                                    in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                                    completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                                    others in the next ten.

                                                    waking up to hooks in my head,
                                                    laura
                                                  • czimring
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                                                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                                      > Lisa wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                                      > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                                      > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                                      > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                                      > >so I can play it now?
                                                      >
                                                      > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                                      > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                                      > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                                      > fan ever since.

                                                      And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
                                                      of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

                                                      [poll]
                                                      > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                                      > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                                      > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                                      > others in the next ten.

                                                      I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
                                                      the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
                                                      my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

                                                      Carl Z.*

                                                      *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
                                                      Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.