Twangfest recap/tonight's show

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2003
      After spending the better part of a week in St. Louis for Twangfest, I can
      report that it once again delivered an excellent range of music, ranging
      from honkytonk and bluegrass to the hardest rocking set I've seen this year
      delivered courtesy of Steve Wynn and the Miracle Three on Thursday night.
      Over the past 4-5 years, Wynn has delivered the strongest live and studio
      performances of his career (yes, including the Dream Syndicate) and this
      show was no exception. That it came after strong sets by Nashvillians Joy
      Lynn White and Richard Ferreira and before a good one by Bobby Bare Jr.
      indicates the diversity and quality of this festival.

      Veterans delivering the goods as expected include Scott Miller, Dale Watson
      and Jason Ringenberg, but one of the things I most enjoyed about Twangfest
      was that it allowed me to see a lot of fine acts for the first time,
      including Canada's Brothers Cosmoline, witty singer-songwriter Neal Cleary
      (accompanied by Mark Spencer) and the Dolly Varden folks. Kip Loui
      delivered country standards with two outstanding bands; I had seen and
      enjoyed the Rockhouse Ramblers before, but was introduced to Diesel Island,
      which has him trading vocals with Brian Henneman on classic 60s and 70s
      songs while Henneman gets some great lead lines out of a terrible looking
      Danelectro. I could have heard them play 'til dawn.

      I'll play some of these acts on tonight's edition of Fear & Whiskey, along
      with music by acts playing Pittsburgh this week and next. (On that note,
      fans of Mark Eitzel who will be in town this weekend may want to tune into
      the show and have access to a phone.) As always, tonight from 7-9pm ET on
      88.3fm in Pittsburgh and <http://www.wrct.org> over the internet.