changes in the land of fear and whiskey

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 9, 2003
      A few of you have heard this already, but in case you haven't, Fear &
      Whiskey (the radio show) will go off the air at the end of the summer as I
      am finalizing employment in a place far, far beyond a reasonable commute to
      Pittsburgh. (If anyone can give me tips on Houghton, Michigan's music
      scene, I'd be delighted.)

      I have heard from a couple of people that they want the fearnwhiskey list
      to keep going even after the show ends. What do y'all think?

      Carl Z.
    • Wilson, Carl
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 9, 2003
        > am finalizing employment in a place far, far beyond a
        > reasonable commute to
        > Pittsburgh. (If anyone can give me tips on Houghton,
        > Michigan's music scene, I'd be delighted.)

        Congratulations, Carl! What's the school? (Running off to check Houghton's
        proximity to the border....)

        > I have heard from a couple of people that they want the
        > fearnwhiskey list
        > to keep going even after the show ends. What do y'all think?

        Absolutely - the list has a life of its own, and in its more active phases
        is a great music-discussion forum.

        carl w.

        ps - any poltergeists in St. Louis this year? <jealous> who'd you room with?
        </jealous>
      • Carl Abraham Zimring
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 9, 2003
          --On Monday, June 9, 2003 1:26 PM -0400 "Wilson, Carl"
          <cwilson@...> wrote:

          >> am finalizing employment in a place far, far beyond a
          >> reasonable commute to
          >> Pittsburgh. (If anyone can give me tips on Houghton,
          >> Michigan's music scene, I'd be delighted.)
          >
          > Congratulations, Carl! What's the school? (Running off to check Houghton's
          > proximity to the border....)

          Michigan Tech. You may find details, including the rather extreme
          geographic ones, at <http://www.mtu.edu/>. I found out about the offer
          upon checking into my room and spent the next 36 hours alternating between
          attending the shows and sending and receiving many voicemail messages
          before accepting.

          >> I have heard from a couple of people that they want the
          >> fearnwhiskey list
          >> to keep going even after the show ends. What do y'all think?
          >
          > Absolutely - the list has a life of its own, and in its more active phases
          > is a great music-discussion forum.

          If ya like, it'll stay. I may be less conspicuous on it in the late
          summer/early fall as I need to stockpile provisions for the winter. (And
          teach.)

          > ps - any poltergeists in St. Louis this year? <jealous> who'd you room
          > with? </jealous>

          My tentative roommate Steve (who I don't think any of the listreaders know
          unless they've seen him at blues shows throughout the midwest or Legendary
          Shack Shakers shows) never made it out of Chicago, so I roomed with the
          Spirit of Carl Wilson this year. I assume said spirit had a calming
          influence that pacified the Plumbing Demon that haunted our room last year.

          Carl Z.
        • Catherine Lewis
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 9, 2003
            On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Carl Abraham Zimring wrote:
            > I have heard from a couple of people that they want the fearnwhiskey list
            > to keep going even after the show ends. What do y'all think?

            I probably shouldn't admit this, but I have never once had the pleasure of listening to your radio show (I don't live in PGH, and I can't stream radio shows from work).

            For me, the FNW list is like 2% about the show, 3% conversation sparked by something you play on the show, and 95% about other miscellaneous music topics. Even if there is no longer a FNW show (and methinks you'll find a way to have a radio show in Michigan), I'd love for this list to continue.

            And, as a native Michiginian(?) myself, congratulations on your impending move!

            Catherine.
          • Mock the DJ
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 9, 2003
              Carl wrote:

              >A few of you have heard this already, but in case you haven't, Fear &
              >Whiskey (the radio show) will go off the air at the end of the summer as I
              >am finalizing employment in a place far, far beyond a reasonable commute to
              >Pittsburgh.

              Say it isn't so! You're not allowed to leave Pgh.
              (Houghton's not even a "commute" to your relatives who live IN Michigan)

              Carl continued:

              >(If anyone can give me tips on Houghton, Michigan's music
              >scene, I'd be delighted.)

              Houghton Music Scene? Those are 3 words I never thought I'd hear together.

              Carl finished:

              >I have heard from a couple of people that they want the fearnwhiskey list
              >to keep going even after the show ends. What do y'all think?

              This list is about your show? Goodness me...I never knew that.

              <g>

              Paul

              PS: Congratulations. I know it's been a long adventurous interviewing
              journey for you.

            • Dave Purcell
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 9, 2003
                Congrats, Carl! Absolutely, please keep the list going...

                dp
              • Kevin J. Hosey
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 9, 2003
                  I echo everything Dave and everyone else has written, Carl. I learn more and
                  enjoy more here than the other list I'm on, which I still like.

                  Kevin

                  >Congrats, Carl! Absolutely, please keep the list going...
                  >
                  >dp

                • Christopher Knaus
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 9, 2003
                    At 13:16 06/09/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                    >I have heard from a couple of people that they want the fearnwhiskey list
                    >to keep going even after the show ends. What do y'all think?
                    >
                    >Carl Z.

                    Please.
                    And say yah to da UP, eh?

                    Later...
                    CK

                    Every decision is a mistake.
                  • Perfect Sound Forever
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 10, 2003
                      Hi Carl and all FNW-ers,

                      Please don't let this list die! I'm subscribed to about 30-40 lists and
                      this is easily the best one. This has the most intelligent
                      conversations about music. As such, this is the list that I feel most
                      compelled to contribute to.

                      I'm really sorry to hear about your radio show stopping. Maybe it can
                      be revived later.

                      This list is a great legacy to your work and it should continue,
                      especially as we have a lot of bright folks here who have a lot to share
                      and discuss.

                      Best,
                      Jason
                      --
                      Perfect Sound Forever
                      online music magazine with warped perspectives
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 10, 2003
                        > I have heard from a couple of people that they want the
                        fearnwhiskey list
                        > to keep going even after the show ends. What do y'all think?
                        >
                        > Carl Z.

                        Please put me in the "yes, definitely" category!

                        Good luck in Houghton.

                        Here's a good article about the Wattstax movie just so I can
                        contribute something for a change:

                        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21869-2003Jun5.html

                        -John
                      • obeymybrain
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 10, 2003
                          The latest batch should be available, uh...tomorrow! I hope I hope.
                          And you may already know this, but the Fall will be playing in
                          Cleveland July 1st. Tix are $15. My fave group. Can't wait.
                          Oleh
                        • Carl Abraham Zimring
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 10, 2003
                            Keep Smith away from telephones prior to the show if you want to see it.

                            Carl Z.

                            --On Wednesday, June 11, 2003 1:57 AM +0000 obeymybrain

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 11, 2003
                              > Keep Smith away from telephones prior to the show if you want
                              > to see it.
                              >
                              > Carl Z.

                              They've already cancelled their Toronto show, in part due to SARS (there's a
                              lot of that, er, going around lately) but in part because of what the
                              obviously pissed-off promoter called "excuses too ridiculous to repeat."

                              The up-side is that I can now go to the Elvis Costello show without
                              compunction.

                              carl w.
                            • Carl Abraham Zimring
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 11, 2003
                                --On Wednesday, June 11, 2003 2:20 PM -0400 "Wilson, Carl"
                                <cwilson@...> wrote:

                                > They've already cancelled their Toronto show, in part due to SARS
                                > (there's a lot of that, er, going around lately) but in part because of
                                > what the obviously pissed-off promoter called "excuses too ridiculous to
                                > repeat."

                                Man, I wish he'd repeat them. I also would love to see what their concert
                                rider looks like.

                                > The up-side is that I can now go to the Elvis Costello show without
                                > compunction.

                                You will not be disappointed. I have never seen EC do a bad show and the
                                Imposters' set last fall was the loudest, most brutal one yet.

                                Carl Z.
                                who imagines Mark E. Smith is at particular risk for SARS because he
                                already looks like he's at death's door