PLAYLIST: Viva Le Mock 6/7/03

  • Mock the DJ
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
      Can you find where I let my trainee pick the tunes?

      Also, I decided to wait until Carl was out of earshot before I did a Richard
      Thompson Mock...

      WRCT 88.3 fm * Pittsburgh, PA * www.wrct.org
      Program: Viva le Mock
      Date: 06-06-2003 , 9:00 p.m.
      The Mock: Richard Thompson

      Artist -- Song -- (Original Artist) [comments]

      Lou Reed -- My Name is Mok
      Anthrax -- Ball of Confusion (Temptations)
      [Vocals provided by former lead singer, Joey Belladonna, and his
      replacement, John Bush]
      Love and Rockets -- Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven
      Ian McCulloch -- She Sings (All My Life)
      The Hidden Cameras -- Ban Marriage
      [Playing The Warhol on 6/13]

      Joe Jackson -- You Don't Know What You Want (Till You Know What You Want)*
      Throwing Muses -- Jak (Volcano Suns)
      Looper -- Burning Flies
      Yo La Tengo -- Beach Party Tonight
      The Velvet Underground & Nico -- All Tomorrow's Parties*

      The Moldy Peaches -- Who's Got the Crack
      Minor Threat -- Good Guys (Don't Wear White)
      Atom and His Package -- Out to Everyone
      On Air Library -- Pass the Mic
      Early Day Miners -- Wheeling

      Nirvana -- Polly*
      [Caller wanted to hear Tool or "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I gave him this]
      Grafton -- I've Been Lookin'
      The Libertines -- I Get Along
      The Datsuns -- Fink for the Man
      Teenage Frames -- Happy Birthday

      Fischerspooner -- Emerge*
      Tel Basta -- I Melt with You (Modern English)
      Donovan -- Atlantis*
      Modern Lovers -- Roadrunner*
      [Caller requested, "That Modern Lovers song that says 'radio on'"]
      The Charms -- Top Down
      [The chorus of this Boston based pop band's tune says, "Driving with my top
      down, and radio on in a Modern Lovers' spirit]

      Taking Pictures -- Slowly Burning Ashes*
      The Misfits -- Bullet*
      Liars -- Mr. Your On Fire Mr.*
      The Tubes -- White Punks on Dope
      [Tubes drummer Prarie Prince was recently seen in Pittburgh playing drums
      for Jefferson Starship]

      Frampton Brothers -- Indiana Wants Me (R. Dean Taylor)*
      [Caller wanted me to pick something for their friends who were in town from
      Indiana. Ironically, it was discovered that I actually know their friends'
      next door neighbors back in Indiana]
      XTC -- Stupidly Happy
      Tin Huey -- Chinese Circus
      Rachel Sweet -- Truck Stop Queen
      Quintron -- Meet Me at the Club House
      Neutral Milk Hotel -- Gardenhead/Leave Me

      The Mofones -- Posthumous Stardom
      [Playing Arsenal Lanes on 6/9]
      Flamin Groovies -- Teenage Head
      The Lazy Cowgirls -- Frustration, Tragedy & Lies
      Twinemen -- Spinner
      [Former Morphine members]
      Tuxedo Moon -- Jinx
      Giant Sand -- 1972
      The Fall -- Glam Racket

      THE MOCK: Richard Thompson
      X-tal -- Genesis Hall (Fairport Convention)
      Barbara Manning -- End of the Rainbow (Richard & Linda Thompson)
      Mary Lou Lord -- 1952 Vincent Black Lightning (R. Thompson)
      X -- Shoot Out the Lights (Richard & Linda Thompson)
      Marshall Crenshaw -- Valerie (R. Thompson)
      R.E.M. -- Wall of Death (Richard & Linda Thompson)
      Peter Laughner -- Calvary Cross (Richard & Linda Thompson)
      Ida -- I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight (Richard & Linda Thompson)

      Syd Straw -- Heart of Darkness
      [Richard Thompson plays guitar on this track]
      Crowded House -- Sister Madly
      [Richard Thompson plays guitar on this track too]
      The Golden Palominos -- Boy (Go)
      [You guessed it...Richard Thompson on guitar (and Michael Stipe on vocals)]
      Gerry Rafferty -- Why Won't You Talk to Me
      [Richard Thompson plays mandolin on this one]

      MC Honky -- Sonnet No. 3 (Like a Duck)
      [Don't believe the backstory (www.mchonky.com)...MC Honky is Mark Oliver
      Everett aka: E/Eels]

      * requests

    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
        --On Monday, June 9, 2003 12:32 PM -0400 Mock the DJ
        <mockthedj@...> wrote:

        > Can you find where I let my trainee pick the tunes?

        I'm guessing it wasn't the Tuxedo Moon or Tin Huey tracks. Is that Tin
        Huey the reissued CD?

        > Also, I decided to wait until Carl was out of earshot before I did a
        > Richard Thompson Mock...

        Alas, I missed that sequence, but it looked like an excellent mock. We
        don't have the Pointer Sisters' version of "Don't Let a Thief Steal Into
        Your Heart" do we?

        Carl Z.
      • Mock the DJ
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
          I wrote:
          > > Can you find where I let my trainee pick the tunes?

          Carl guessed:
          >I'm guessing it wasn't the Tuxedo Moon or Tin Huey tracks. Is that Tin
          >Huey the reissued CD?

          Both of those were courtesy of my trainee. The Tin Huey track was taken
          from "The Akron Compilation" on Stiff Records.

          I also said:
          > > Also, I decided to wait until Carl was out of earshot before I did a
          > > Richard Thompson Mock...

          Carl replied:
          >Alas, I missed that sequence, but it looked like an excellent mock. We
          >don't have the Pointer Sisters' version of "Don't Let a Thief Steal Into
          >Your Heart" do we?

          I wasn't brave enough to check.

          Paul

        • Rob Jefferson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
            On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Mock the DJ wrote:

            > Carl replied:
            > >Alas, I missed that sequence, but it looked like an excellent mock. We
            > >don't have the Pointer Sisters' version of "Don't Let a Thief Steal Into
            > >Your Heart" do we?
            >
            > I wasn't brave enough to check.

            Just checked the library -- the station does have a copy of it. However,
            I cannot seem to find a copy of Jo-El Sonnier's cover of "Tear Stained
            Letter".

            *attempts to duck the guillotine of taste*

            rob
          • Carl Abraham Zimring
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
              --On Monday, June 9, 2003 3:55 PM -0400 Rob Jefferson <jeffer@...>
              wrote:

              > Just checked the library -- the station does have a copy of it. However,
              > I cannot seem to find a copy of Jo-El Sonnier's cover of "Tear Stained
              > Letter".

              The Pointer Sisters' cover is ok for what it is, but Sonnier's cover rocks!
              Maybe it's on vinyl in the country or folk sections?

              > *attempts to duck the guillotine of taste*

              Alright Rob, for that, I am requesting that you play Behead the Prophet No
              Lord Shall Live on your next show. It'll only take about a minute.

              Oddest musical dissonance of the week: leafing through Thee Hydrogen
              Terrors' section while the Gibson Brothers did a bluegrass rendition of the
              Band's "Ophelia" during an in-store appearance at Vintage Vinyl last
              weekend.

              Carl Z.
              tickled that Paul's trainee was pulling out obscure music from the late 70s
            • Mock the DJ
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
                >Carl Z.
                >tickled that Paul's trainee was pulling out obscure music from the late 70s

                It's nice to get a trainee with good taste in music.

                His picks from last week's show included:

                Tin Huey -- Chinese Circus
                Rachel Sweet -- Truck Stop Queen
                Quintron -- Meet Me at the Club House
                Neutral Milk Hotel -- Gardenhead/Leave Me
                Flamin Groovies -- Teenage Head
                The Lazy Cowgirls -- Frustration, Tragedy & Lies
                Twinemen -- Spinner
                Tuxedo Moon -- Jinx
                Giant Sand -- 1972
                The Fall -- Glam Racket

                This week, there should be a whole lot more...

                Paul

                PS: Carl, he really wants to get on this list, but can't find the
                "subscription instructions". do you still have his email address?