Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: jazz /country stuff

  • Lance Davis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
      > Curently wondering about the Duke Ellington one after having
      > looked up exactly how much stuff he released at the time.
      > the All Music Jazz book from '93 says loads. but that Proper
      > box was in the Mojo essential music booklet so I guess its a
      > must have.

      Well, they're both right. Most of the tracks among these comps
      are probably repeats, but the Duke was a prolific mofo. Looking
      at the track listing of the Proper box, though, is staggering. A
      must-have to say the least. There's probably not a wasted *NOTE*
      in that whole dang thing.

      > Thinking about film appearances. Is that Greg Dulli appearing
      > as a WEdding singer in Old School? I saw this guy and he
      > looks like photos I've seen of him. Thought the film was
      > a larf, wondered if I was slipping.

      Accoring to IMDB it was some dude named Dan Finnerty II. I
      thought Old School was a riot, too. Will Ferrell is a genius.

      > I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the
      > Lou Reed of country. I guess that means he's worthwhile.

      Well, that's probably true insofar as their voices are both dry
      monotones (not that that's necessarily a bad thing!). But where
      Lou walks you through some engaging street hassles, Ernest's
      stories are garden variety honky tonk. Again, not that there's
      anything wrong with that, but over the course of 100 tracks that
      might be asking a bit much. Of course, the price IS right so
      maybe it's a moot point.

      LD

      =====
      "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but we will agree to meet them halfway."
      --Bernard Avishai

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Bob Soron
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
        On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:15AM -0600, Stevo wrote:

        > I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the Lou Reed
        > of country.

        I'm dying to know how he followed through on this comparison.

        Bob
      • Stevo
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Soron" <bobsoron@t...>
          wrote:
          > On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:15AM -0600, Stevo wrote:
          >
          > > I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the Lou
          Reed
          > > of country.
          >
          > I'm dying to know how he followed through on this comparison.
          >
          > Bob

          Unfortunately he didn't.
          I assume it was about subject matter or something.
          Don't know my Tubb.
          Perhaps I oughta ask him.
          Did get that Hillbilly Boogie set which is prett dang fine.
          Like r'n'r several years early. I think the best stuff on there is
          from the mid 40s.
          Shows that rock and roll wasn't a great unprecedented break., more of
          a step in a continuous cain methinks
          Stevo
          Np Bebop Spoken Here Wardell Gray The Man I love
        • Lance Davis
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
            > Did get that Hillbilly Boogie set which is prett dang fine.
            > Like r'n'r several years early. I think the best stuff on
            > there is from the mid 40s. Shows that rock and roll wasn't a
            > great unprecedented break, more of a step in a continuous
            > cain methinks ... Stevo

            What I love about hillbilly boogie and western swing is that
            they're perfect examples of genre-smearing ... before rock 'n'
            roll perfected that alchemy. If you get a chance, check out
            Junior Barnard's guitar solo on Fat Boy Rag from one of the Bob
            Wills Tiffany discs. That is a *rock* guitar solo - especially
            when Bob admiringly calls out, "Ugly!"

            Also, - not that it's hillbilly boogie OR western swing, but it
            does smear genres - check out Carl Hogan's guitar playing with
            Louis Jordan's Tympany Five. His intro riff to Ain't That Just
            Like a Woman - around 1946 - is pretty much what Chuck Berry
            stole to help create rock 'n' roll a decade later. To his
            credit, Chuck consistently name-checked Jordan and Hogan as
            primary influences on his guitar sound.

            LD

            =====
            "Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit."
            --Somerset Maugham

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
          • Stevo
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...>
              wrote:

              > What I love about hillbilly boogie and western swing is that
              > they're perfect examples of genre-smearing ... before rock 'n'
              > roll perfected that alchemy. If you get a chance, check out
              > Junior Barnard's guitar solo on Fat Boy Rag from one of the Bob
              > Wills Tiffany discs. That is a *rock* guitar solo - especially
              > when Bob admiringly calls out, "Ugly!"

              I need to check out more of that guy. I think the Proper thing is
              easier to get hold of right now.

              > Also, - not that it's hillbilly boogie OR western swing, but it
              > does smear genres - check out Carl Hogan's guitar playing with
              > Louis Jordan's Tympany Five. His intro riff to Ain't That Just
              > Like a Woman - around 1946 - is pretty much what Chuck Berry
              > stole to help create rock 'n' roll a decade later. To his
              > credit, Chuck consistently name-checked Jordan and Hogan as
              > primary influences on his guitar sound.

              Always loved what I heard by that Jordan crew. Been debating whether
              to go Duke Ellington or Louis Jordan for my next set.
              Then bought the Complete Vanguard Richard and Mimi Farina so I'm no
              longer flush. Also saw Full Frontal yesterday so will have to wait
              until next week.

              Also didn't ask about the Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young and Dexter
              Gordon sets or Dinah Washington or Edith Piaf.
              Unfortunately i can't get everything I want RIGHT NOW or I think I
              might just run down and buy everything. Then I'd just have the
              problem of attempting to assimilate it. Never know how long its going
              to take to do that, especially when buying new stuff every week.
              I remember reading a thread oon another list a while back about
              people getting a couple of hundred releases a month or something
              (sounds too high) +wondering if they ever would assimilate things.
              Was left thinking that it made about as much sense as collecting pork
              pies or something. You'd never be able to use the things for designed
              purpose , do they cut it aesthetically otherwise?
              Stevo
              Np Richard & Mimi Farina Dandelion River Run
              Ste