Re: jazz /country stuff

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...>
      wrote:
      > Stevo, I have the Louis Jordan Proper set and it's fantastic. I
      > had most of those songs scattered about on different comps

      So methinks I'll but that ASAP. Curently wondering about the Duke
      Ellington one after having looked up exactly how much stuff he
      released at the time. the All Music Jazz book from '93 says loads.
      but that Proper box was in the Mojo essential music booklet so I
      guess its a must have. Could do with them doing a tex Mex box too.

      - and
      > on a pound-for-pound basis I might still favor the 2-disc
      > anthology that spans 1938-53 (Let The Good Times Roll) - but the
      > Proper box is a real keeper for the price.
      >
      > I don't know if these Proper boxes are all 3 and 4 disc jobbers,
      Moon Mullican/ Merle Travis and Spade Cooley are a 2disc things.
      There's also a Les Paul one which looks interesting.
      Just sw the Hi Lo Country about cowboys after the 2nd World WAr and
      am wondering who was on the soundtrack. It had several singers
      performing at a dance, couldn't see who though.
      That's also what got me interested in Tex Mex stuff, since its on the
      soundtrack there.

      Thinking about film appearances. Is that Greg Dulli appearing as a
      WEdding singer in Old School? I saw this guy and he looks like photos
      I've seen of him.
      Thought the film was a larf, wondered if I was slipping.

      > but my opinion on the country stuff is fairly consistent - where
      > possible, you're probably better off with a 1 or 2 disc comp.
      > For instance, I think Ernest Tubb is classic, but a one disc
      > comp should be sufficient.

      I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the Lou Reed
      of country. I guess that means he's worthwhile.
      I'm wondering what was played at the Son of REdneck country disco
      behind Selfridges in LOndon in the late 80s cos I think I need
      somathat.
      presumably it is this stuff.

      His voice is an acquired taste on a
      > good day, so jumping into a box set might be something you
      > regret. Same with Moon Mullican, Spade Cooley, and Merle Travis.
      >

      > Milton Brown and Bob Wills on the other hand ... their music is
      > so much fun you might be well-served by these boxes, especially
      > since they're so cheap. However, with the Milton stuff you're
      > pretty much getting everything he ever did, so you might want to
      > go with the western swing comp and see if you like his stuff on
      > there. If you do, you know the next step. Bob Wills should be
      > required listening for everybody, so you may as well pick up his
      > Proper box in addition to that western swing box. Beware, though
      > ... that might not be enough. So in the event you suffer from
      > Bob Wills addiction I highly recommend the Tiffany
      > Transcriptions.

      Found my best of the Tiffany Transcriptions this a.m amnd it is great.
      Sounds very rockish just missing bite or something.
      pretty good for 46 + 47.
      Stevo
      Np Tangerine Dream, Atem Fauni Geva
    • Lance Davis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
        > Curently wondering about the Duke Ellington one after having
        > looked up exactly how much stuff he released at the time.
        > the All Music Jazz book from '93 says loads. but that Proper
        > box was in the Mojo essential music booklet so I guess its a
        > must have.

        Well, they're both right. Most of the tracks among these comps
        are probably repeats, but the Duke was a prolific mofo. Looking
        at the track listing of the Proper box, though, is staggering. A
        must-have to say the least. There's probably not a wasted *NOTE*
        in that whole dang thing.

        > Thinking about film appearances. Is that Greg Dulli appearing
        > as a WEdding singer in Old School? I saw this guy and he
        > looks like photos I've seen of him. Thought the film was
        > a larf, wondered if I was slipping.

        Accoring to IMDB it was some dude named Dan Finnerty II. I
        thought Old School was a riot, too. Will Ferrell is a genius.

        > I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the
        > Lou Reed of country. I guess that means he's worthwhile.

        Well, that's probably true insofar as their voices are both dry
        monotones (not that that's necessarily a bad thing!). But where
        Lou walks you through some engaging street hassles, Ernest's
        stories are garden variety honky tonk. Again, not that there's
        anything wrong with that, but over the course of 100 tracks that
        might be asking a bit much. Of course, the price IS right so
        maybe it's a moot point.

        LD

        =====
        "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but we will agree to meet them halfway."
        --Bernard Avishai

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Bob Soron
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
          On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:15AM -0600, Stevo wrote:

          > I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the Lou Reed
          > of country.

          I'm dying to know how he followed through on this comparison.

          Bob
        • Stevo
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Soron" <bobsoron@t...>
            wrote:
            > On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:15AM -0600, Stevo wrote:
            >
            > > I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the Lou
            Reed
            > > of country.
            >
            > I'm dying to know how he followed through on this comparison.
            >
            > Bob

            Unfortunately he didn't.
            I assume it was about subject matter or something.
            Don't know my Tubb.
            Perhaps I oughta ask him.
            Did get that Hillbilly Boogie set which is prett dang fine.
            Like r'n'r several years early. I think the best stuff on there is
            from the mid 40s.
            Shows that rock and roll wasn't a great unprecedented break., more of
            a step in a continuous cain methinks
            Stevo
            Np Bebop Spoken Here Wardell Gray The Man I love
          • Lance Davis
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
              > Did get that Hillbilly Boogie set which is prett dang fine.
              > Like r'n'r several years early. I think the best stuff on
              > there is from the mid 40s. Shows that rock and roll wasn't a
              > great unprecedented break, more of a step in a continuous
              > cain methinks ... Stevo

              What I love about hillbilly boogie and western swing is that
              they're perfect examples of genre-smearing ... before rock 'n'
              roll perfected that alchemy. If you get a chance, check out
              Junior Barnard's guitar solo on Fat Boy Rag from one of the Bob
              Wills Tiffany discs. That is a *rock* guitar solo - especially
              when Bob admiringly calls out, "Ugly!"

              Also, - not that it's hillbilly boogie OR western swing, but it
              does smear genres - check out Carl Hogan's guitar playing with
              Louis Jordan's Tympany Five. His intro riff to Ain't That Just
              Like a Woman - around 1946 - is pretty much what Chuck Berry
              stole to help create rock 'n' roll a decade later. To his
              credit, Chuck consistently name-checked Jordan and Hogan as
              primary influences on his guitar sound.

              LD

              =====
              "Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit."
              --Somerset Maugham

              http://calendar.yahoo.com
            • Stevo
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
                wrote:

                > What I love about hillbilly boogie and western swing is that
                > they're perfect examples of genre-smearing ... before rock 'n'
                > roll perfected that alchemy. If you get a chance, check out
                > Junior Barnard's guitar solo on Fat Boy Rag from one of the Bob
                > Wills Tiffany discs. That is a *rock* guitar solo - especially
                > when Bob admiringly calls out, "Ugly!"

                I need to check out more of that guy. I think the Proper thing is
                easier to get hold of right now.

                > Also, - not that it's hillbilly boogie OR western swing, but it
                > does smear genres - check out Carl Hogan's guitar playing with
                > Louis Jordan's Tympany Five. His intro riff to Ain't That Just
                > Like a Woman - around 1946 - is pretty much what Chuck Berry
                > stole to help create rock 'n' roll a decade later. To his
                > credit, Chuck consistently name-checked Jordan and Hogan as
                > primary influences on his guitar sound.

                Always loved what I heard by that Jordan crew. Been debating whether
                to go Duke Ellington or Louis Jordan for my next set.
                Then bought the Complete Vanguard Richard and Mimi Farina so I'm no
                longer flush. Also saw Full Frontal yesterday so will have to wait
                until next week.

                Also didn't ask about the Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young and Dexter
                Gordon sets or Dinah Washington or Edith Piaf.
                Unfortunately i can't get everything I want RIGHT NOW or I think I
                might just run down and buy everything. Then I'd just have the
                problem of attempting to assimilate it. Never know how long its going
                to take to do that, especially when buying new stuff every week.
                I remember reading a thread oon another list a while back about
                people getting a couple of hundred releases a month or something
                (sounds too high) +wondering if they ever would assimilate things.
                Was left thinking that it made about as much sense as collecting pork
                pies or something. You'd never be able to use the things for designed
                purpose , do they cut it aesthetically otherwise?
                Stevo
                Np Richard & Mimi Farina Dandelion River Run
                Ste