jazz /country stuff

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7, 2003
      I'm trying to work out what other of those Proper boxes I need.
      http://www.propermusic.com
      Picked up the Cool Cole one earlier this week.
      I think the King Cole Trio was pretty great Oscar Moore is a great
      guitarist. Nat Cole was a pretty tasty pianist.
      Looks like he took the 'King' nickname from the trio rather than vice
      versa.

      I'm thinking of getting the Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Louis
      Jordan and Count basie sets for sure. probably the Machito and Dizzy
      Gillespie, possibly the Django Reinhart

      Wondering about the country stuff
      Ernest Tubb is he great?
      Milton Brown and the musical Brownies -got a great write up in Ugly
      Things a coupla years back.
      Bob Wills

      I think the Bluegrass, Hillbilly Boogie and Doughboys, Playboys &
      Cowboys: The Golden Years Of Western Swing are all must haves. Am I
      right?

      Just thinking that there are probably people here who know the area
      way better than I do. I've just been reading through the Rough Guide
      to Country so know a bit more than i did last week but still not a
      great deal

      is Moon Mullican any cop?
      what about Spade Cooley or Merle Travis?

      Also the female jazz vocalists Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie
      holiday any good?
      Any views?
      Stevo
      Np Slayer Reign in Blood Agrssive perfector
    • Lance Davis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7, 2003
        Stevo, I have the Louis Jordan Proper set and it's fantastic. I
        had most of those songs scattered about on different comps - and
        on a pound-for-pound basis I might still favor the 2-disc
        anthology that spans 1938-53 (Let The Good Times Roll) - but the
        Proper box is a real keeper for the price.

        I don't know if these Proper boxes are all 3 and 4 disc jobbers,
        but my opinion on the country stuff is fairly consistent - where
        possible, you're probably better off with a 1 or 2 disc comp.
        For instance, I think Ernest Tubb is classic, but a one disc
        comp should be sufficient. His voice is an acquired taste on a
        good day, so jumping into a box set might be something you
        regret. Same with Moon Mullican, Spade Cooley, and Merle Travis.

        Milton Brown and Bob Wills on the other hand ... their music is
        so much fun you might be well-served by these boxes, especially
        since they're so cheap. However, with the Milton stuff you're
        pretty much getting everything he ever did, so you might want to
        go with the western swing comp and see if you like his stuff on
        there. If you do, you know the next step. Bob Wills should be
        required listening for everybody, so you may as well pick up his
        Proper box in addition to that western swing box. Beware, though
        ... that might not be enough. So in the event you suffer from
        Bob Wills addiction I highly recommend the Tiffany
        Transcriptions.

        Good luck, LD

        --- Stevo <Stuggy@...> wrote:
        > I'm trying to work out what other of those Proper boxes I
        > need. http://www.propermusic.com
        > Picked up the Cool Cole one earlier this week.
        > I think the King Cole Trio was pretty great Oscar Moore is a
        > great guitarist. Nat Cole was a pretty tasty pianist.
        > Looks like he took the 'King' nickname from the trio rather
        > than vice versa.
        >
        > I'm thinking of getting the Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker,
        > Louis Jordan and Count basie sets for sure. probably the
        > Machito and Dizzy Gillespie, possibly the Django Reinhart
        >
        > Wondering about the country stuff. Ernest Tubb is he great?
        > Milton Brown and the musical Brownies - got a great write up
        > in Ugly Things a coupla years back.
        > Bob Wills
        >
        > I think the Bluegrass, Hillbilly Boogie and Doughboys,
        > Playboys & Cowboys: The Golden Years Of Western Swing are
        > all must haves. Am I right?
        >
        > Just thinking that there are probably people here who know the
        > area way better than I do. I've just been reading through
        > the Rough Guide to Country so know a bit more than i did last
        > week but still not a great deal
        >
        > is Moon Mullican any cop?
        > what about Spade Cooley or Merle Travis?
        >
        > Also the female jazz vocalists Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald,
        > Billie holiday any good? Any views?
        > Stevo
        > Np Slayer Reign in Blood Agrssive perfector

        =====
        "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but we will agree to meet them halfway."
        --Bernard Avishai

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Bob Soron
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7, 2003
          On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:53AM -0600, Stevo wrote:
          > I'm trying to work out what other of those Proper boxes I need.
          > http://www.propermusic.com
          [...]

          > I think the Bluegrass, Hillbilly Boogie and Doughboys, Playboys &
          > Cowboys: The Golden Years Of Western Swing are all must haves. Am I
          > right?

          Actually, just last night I got the Doughboys, Playboys. & Cowboys box
          set into iTunes. There is indeed a lot of good stuff on there, though
          even in Bob Wills's case I'm not knowledgable enough about their
          catalogues to say they got the cream of the crop. But it's all good and
          the collection has repeat value -- it wasn't something I listened to
          once and filed away.

          Bob
        • Stevo
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...>
            wrote:
            > Stevo, I have the Louis Jordan Proper set and it's fantastic. I
            > had most of those songs scattered about on different comps

            So methinks I'll but that ASAP. Curently wondering about the Duke
            Ellington one after having looked up exactly how much stuff he
            released at the time. the All Music Jazz book from '93 says loads.
            but that Proper box was in the Mojo essential music booklet so I
            guess its a must have. Could do with them doing a tex Mex box too.

            - and
            > on a pound-for-pound basis I might still favor the 2-disc
            > anthology that spans 1938-53 (Let The Good Times Roll) - but the
            > Proper box is a real keeper for the price.
            >
            > I don't know if these Proper boxes are all 3 and 4 disc jobbers,
            Moon Mullican/ Merle Travis and Spade Cooley are a 2disc things.
            There's also a Les Paul one which looks interesting.
            Just sw the Hi Lo Country about cowboys after the 2nd World WAr and
            am wondering who was on the soundtrack. It had several singers
            performing at a dance, couldn't see who though.
            That's also what got me interested in Tex Mex stuff, since its on the
            soundtrack there.

            Thinking about film appearances. Is that Greg Dulli appearing as a
            WEdding singer in Old School? I saw this guy and he looks like photos
            I've seen of him.
            Thought the film was a larf, wondered if I was slipping.

            > but my opinion on the country stuff is fairly consistent - where
            > possible, you're probably better off with a 1 or 2 disc comp.
            > For instance, I think Ernest Tubb is classic, but a one disc
            > comp should be sufficient.

            I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the Lou Reed
            of country. I guess that means he's worthwhile.
            I'm wondering what was played at the Son of REdneck country disco
            behind Selfridges in LOndon in the late 80s cos I think I need
            somathat.
            presumably it is this stuff.

            His voice is an acquired taste on a
            > good day, so jumping into a box set might be something you
            > regret. Same with Moon Mullican, Spade Cooley, and Merle Travis.
            >

            > Milton Brown and Bob Wills on the other hand ... their music is
            > so much fun you might be well-served by these boxes, especially
            > since they're so cheap. However, with the Milton stuff you're
            > pretty much getting everything he ever did, so you might want to
            > go with the western swing comp and see if you like his stuff on
            > there. If you do, you know the next step. Bob Wills should be
            > required listening for everybody, so you may as well pick up his
            > Proper box in addition to that western swing box. Beware, though
            > ... that might not be enough. So in the event you suffer from
            > Bob Wills addiction I highly recommend the Tiffany
            > Transcriptions.

            Found my best of the Tiffany Transcriptions this a.m amnd it is great.
            Sounds very rockish just missing bite or something.
            pretty good for 46 + 47.
            Stevo
            Np Tangerine Dream, Atem Fauni Geva
          • Lance Davis
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
              > Curently wondering about the Duke Ellington one after having
              > looked up exactly how much stuff he released at the time.
              > the All Music Jazz book from '93 says loads. but that Proper
              > box was in the Mojo essential music booklet so I guess its a
              > must have.

              Well, they're both right. Most of the tracks among these comps
              are probably repeats, but the Duke was a prolific mofo. Looking
              at the track listing of the Proper box, though, is staggering. A
              must-have to say the least. There's probably not a wasted *NOTE*
              in that whole dang thing.

              > Thinking about film appearances. Is that Greg Dulli appearing
              > as a WEdding singer in Old School? I saw this guy and he
              > looks like photos I've seen of him. Thought the film was
              > a larf, wondered if I was slipping.

              Accoring to IMDB it was some dude named Dan Finnerty II. I
              thought Old School was a riot, too. Will Ferrell is a genius.

              > I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the
              > Lou Reed of country. I guess that means he's worthwhile.

              Well, that's probably true insofar as their voices are both dry
              monotones (not that that's necessarily a bad thing!). But where
              Lou walks you through some engaging street hassles, Ernest's
              stories are garden variety honky tonk. Again, not that there's
              anything wrong with that, but over the course of 100 tracks that
              might be asking a bit much. Of course, the price IS right so
              maybe it's a moot point.

              LD

              =====

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
                On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:15AM -0600, Stevo wrote:

                > I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the Lou Reed
                > of country.

                I'm dying to know how he followed through on this comparison.

                Bob
              • Stevo
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Soron" <bobsoron@t...>
                  wrote:
                  > On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:15AM -0600, Stevo wrote:
                  >
                  > > I've just had Jim Duckworth saying that Ernest Tubb was the Lou
                  Reed
                  > > of country.
                  >
                  > I'm dying to know how he followed through on this comparison.
                  >
                  > Bob

                  Unfortunately he didn't.
                  I assume it was about subject matter or something.
                  Don't know my Tubb.
                  Perhaps I oughta ask him.
                  Did get that Hillbilly Boogie set which is prett dang fine.
                  Like r'n'r several years early. I think the best stuff on there is
                  from the mid 40s.
                  Shows that rock and roll wasn't a great unprecedented break., more of
                  a step in a continuous cain methinks
                  Stevo
                  Np Bebop Spoken Here Wardell Gray The Man I love
                • Lance Davis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
                    > Did get that Hillbilly Boogie set which is prett dang fine.
                    > Like r'n'r several years early. I think the best stuff on
                    > there is from the mid 40s. Shows that rock and roll wasn't a
                    > great unprecedented break, more of a step in a continuous
                    > cain methinks ... Stevo

                    What I love about hillbilly boogie and western swing is that
                    they're perfect examples of genre-smearing ... before rock 'n'
                    roll perfected that alchemy. If you get a chance, check out
                    Junior Barnard's guitar solo on Fat Boy Rag from one of the Bob
                    Wills Tiffany discs. That is a *rock* guitar solo - especially
                    when Bob admiringly calls out, "Ugly!"

                    Also, - not that it's hillbilly boogie OR western swing, but it
                    does smear genres - check out Carl Hogan's guitar playing with
                    Louis Jordan's Tympany Five. His intro riff to Ain't That Just
                    Like a Woman - around 1946 - is pretty much what Chuck Berry
                    stole to help create rock 'n' roll a decade later. To his
                    credit, Chuck consistently name-checked Jordan and Hogan as
                    primary influences on his guitar sound.

                    LD

                    =====
                    "Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit."
                    --Somerset Maugham

                    http://calendar.yahoo.com
                  • Stevo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
                      wrote:

                      > What I love about hillbilly boogie and western swing is that
                      > they're perfect examples of genre-smearing ... before rock 'n'
                      > roll perfected that alchemy. If you get a chance, check out
                      > Junior Barnard's guitar solo on Fat Boy Rag from one of the Bob
                      > Wills Tiffany discs. That is a *rock* guitar solo - especially
                      > when Bob admiringly calls out, "Ugly!"

                      I need to check out more of that guy. I think the Proper thing is
                      easier to get hold of right now.

                      > Also, - not that it's hillbilly boogie OR western swing, but it
                      > does smear genres - check out Carl Hogan's guitar playing with
                      > Louis Jordan's Tympany Five. His intro riff to Ain't That Just
                      > Like a Woman - around 1946 - is pretty much what Chuck Berry
                      > stole to help create rock 'n' roll a decade later. To his
                      > credit, Chuck consistently name-checked Jordan and Hogan as
                      > primary influences on his guitar sound.

                      Always loved what I heard by that Jordan crew. Been debating whether
                      to go Duke Ellington or Louis Jordan for my next set.
                      Then bought the Complete Vanguard Richard and Mimi Farina so I'm no
                      longer flush. Also saw Full Frontal yesterday so will have to wait
                      until next week.

                      Also didn't ask about the Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young and Dexter
                      Gordon sets or Dinah Washington or Edith Piaf.
                      Unfortunately i can't get everything I want RIGHT NOW or I think I
                      might just run down and buy everything. Then I'd just have the
                      problem of attempting to assimilate it. Never know how long its going
                      to take to do that, especially when buying new stuff every week.
                      I remember reading a thread oon another list a while back about
                      people getting a couple of hundred releases a month or something
                      (sounds too high) +wondering if they ever would assimilate things.
                      Was left thinking that it made about as much sense as collecting pork
                      pies or something. You'd never be able to use the things for designed
                      purpose , do they cut it aesthetically otherwise?
                      Stevo
                      Np Richard & Mimi Farina Dandelion River Run
                      Ste