Clip: All Tomorrow's Parties L.A. Festival Postponed

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-06/03.shtml

      All Tomorrow's Parties L.A. Festival Postponed
      Festival humbly requests burial at Makeout Creek

      Marnie Christenson reports:
      Last week we brought you the sad news that a rare sparrow arranged the
      possible cancellation of the Field Day Festival on Long Island (which
      curators continue to insist is forging ahead as planned); this week, we
      regret to inform you that the Matt Groening-curated All Tomorrow's Parties
      in Los Angeles is being postponed. Sure, this isn't a dire
      end-of-all-parties cancellation per se, but if you were planning on
      traveling a fair distance to see the killer lineup, consider your travel
      plans effectively switcheroo'd: the event is now slated for September 26-28.

      According to the festival's PR firm, the L.A. edition was cancelled due to
      poor ticket sales. This is nuts, since, as we reported back in March, the
      seemingly hefty ticket price of $100 works out to about $2 per band. Do the
      math, people! Performers were set to include: Mogwai, The Fall, Trail of
      Dead, Wire, Yo La Tengo, The Breeders, Le Tigre, Boredoms, Mission of
      Burma, Throwing Muses, Captain Beefheart's Magic Band (sans-Captain),
      Daniel Johnston, The Melvins, Patti Smith, Fantômas, Trachtenburg Family
      Slide Show Players, Black Heart Procession, Danielson Famile, The Coup, and
      dancepunk revolutionaries !!!. Tickets are still valid for the new dates,
      but if you can't make it, you should return your tickets at the point of
      purchase (according to the ATP site and PR firm).

      There is, fortunately, a glimmer of good news in all this. First of all,
      the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds pre-opening show at the Hollywood Palladium
      on June 18th is still on. Also, Mr. Conrad Keely of ...And You Will Know Us
      by the Trail of Dead has reportedly remarked on his mailing list that,
      despite the cancellation, "we are still going to try setting up a show.
      This time with Mogwai and Melt-Banana, who are a vocal group from
      Transylvania." To clarify, Melt-Banana is from Tokyo, not Transylvania,
      though we'll be the first to admit that, were we to just shut up and let
      Conrad have it his way, they might sell more tickets. Anyway, here's a
      portion of the grammatically challenged press release from ATP:

      "The new event will still be at the same venues and will still include most
      of the existing line up but will include some new exciting editions [sic]
      that will make it equally as good or if not better.

      "This was not an easy decision to make and one that was forced so we are
      very upset that the event has had to move as we appreciate this will
      inconvenience all involved. We would like to apologize to all ticket
      holders who may have made plans to come to the festival and want to say
      sorry to all the artists and staff involved who have worked so hard to try
      and make this come together.

      "This is not the end of ATP LA, we are still in the early stages and are
      just having a few teething problems. I know it doesn't help when our
      website went down over the weekend but that is because we were changing
      servers and what should have taken 1 hour ended up taking a lot longer. We
      are still here, trying to make this event the best it possibly can. The new
      revised line-up will be announced within the next 10 days and will be
      better than ever, so we would advise waiting to refund your tickets until
      then."

      In other ATP news, the London version is sold out, and the New York
      version, which is being curated by Stephen Malkmus, still hasn't announced
      a single act.

      .: Pitchfork News: All Tomorrow's Parties 2003 Confirms L.A. Shows
      .: All Tomorrow's Parties: http://www.atpfestival.com/index.php