Re: [fearnwhiskey] Disco Demolition (was: Frontman says Fleshtones still fresh)

  • Rob Jefferson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
      On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Carl Abraham Zimring wrote:

      > Heh. I was watching that on Channel 44 and it quickly degenerated into
      > smoke and chaos, with Sox announcer Jimmy Piersall threatening to strangle
      > Steve Dahl (Piersall would later be suspended for choking
      > then-sportswriter/now-Sox executive Rob Gallas) and Mayor Byrne brushing
      > off any attempts at interviews.

      I missed out on that night, being all of six months old at the time. I
      did get to see occasional file footage of it growing up, though. I had
      feelings of both horror and a perverse mirth from the ensuing chaos. It
      wasn't until I got older that I realized that indeed, some people had a
      violently negative reaction to disco, and that Disco Demolition Night was
      just the most (in)famous example of it.

      Great set of eyewitness accounts here:
      http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/DiscoDemolition.htm

      rob
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
        Rob, sending me to my Geritol, writes:

        > I missed out on that night, being all of six months old at the time.

        Must...take...medication....

        > Great set of eyewitness accounts here:
        > http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/DiscoDemolition.htm

        This website could be hazardous to my manuscript's completion. The only
        music content in this next link is Nancy Faust's organ, but it gives a
        flavor of what the Sox were like when I was a kid:
        <http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/FalstaffHarry.htm>.

        The glory days before Tony La Russa was hired and started hanging out with
        Dennis DeYoung of Styx...

        Carl "more baseball announcers should broadcast drunk" Z.
      • samchecker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Perfect Sound Forever
          <perfect-sound@f...> wrote:
          > Carl, thanks for sharing this article with all of us here.

          Ditto, Carl. I lost touch with the Fleshtones quite some time ago, but
          the new CD on Yep Roc kicks serious ass, and their recent performance
          at the Southpaw in Brooklyn friggin' slayed me. I can't think of too
          many bands that have been together as long as they have who still have
          that much obvious fun onstage.

          Mark W.