Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 6/1/3 on WXDU Durham NC

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      Here's the playlist for the first show in June. And with a new month I have
      a new album of the month, Gillian Welch's "Soul Journey". More than any of
      her other albums, this one sounds more like a true solo album. David
      Rawlings still contributes a lot in the instrumental area, but their duet
      singing has been replaced with Gillian solo for the most part. I miss
      hearing David, but this new stuff is really good. Tune in each Sunday at 1pm
      this month to see what you think.

      But not next Sunday. I'll be at Twangfest in St Louis. Oh, and keep your eye
      on www.clinkmagazine.com. I'll be debuting my new webzine there any day now.

      See ya.
      Steve Gardner

      *Bottle Rockets/Bud Nanney's Theme/Bottle Rockets/ESD
      [Theme song]

      *Marah/Faraway You/Kids in Philly/E-Squared
      *Dodd Ferrelle & the Tinfoil Stars/The Ballad of Aaron
      Parrett/Always Almost There/Self
      [This band kind of reminds me of the Del Fuegos.]
      *Boxing/Thievery and Girls/Way Down East/Robert
      Barry Construction Assoc.
      [If you are into rootsy music that leans to the
      experimental side, you should check these guys out.
      This is one of my favorite CDs of the year.
      *Wilco/I Am Trying To Break Your Heart/Yankee
      Hotel Foxtrot/Nonesuch

      *Greg Trooper/Apologize/Floating/Sugar Hill
      *Buddy Miller/Please Send Me Someone to Love/
      Midnight and Lonesome/Hightone
      [A Percy Mayfield song.]
      *Kelly Hogan and the Pine Valley Cosmonauts/Sudden
      Stop/Beneath the Country Underdog/Bloodshot
      [A Percy Sledge song.]
      *Jesse Harris and the Ferdinandos/Just a Photograph/
      The Secret Sun/Blue Thumb
      [Jesse is Norah Jones' musical pardner.]
      *Jayhawks/Angelyne/Rainy Day Music

      *Calexico/Quattro (World Drifts In)/Feast of Wire/
      *Terry Allen/Wilderness of This World/Human
      Remains/Sugar Hill
      [Virgil Shaw covers this on his new album, which
      led me to play...]
      *Virgil Shaw/Wet Splashes/Still Falling/Future Farmer
      [...his latest.]
      *Laura Veirs/Bedroom Eyes/Troubled By The Fire/
      Bella Union

      Topsoil Album Feature of the Month
      Soul Journey
      *Look at Miss Ohio
      *Make Me a Pallet On Your Floor
      *Wayside/Back in Time

      *Magnolia Electric Co./Farewell Transmission/Magnolia
      Electric Co./Secretly Canadian
      [Gillian's new album reminds me a lot of Songs:Ohia. So
      I decided to play something from the Songs:Ohia
      alterego, Magnolia Electric Co.]
      *Tommy Womack/Tough/Washington DC/Tommywomack.com
      *Scott Miller and the Commonwealth/It Didn't Take
      Too Long/Upside Downside/Sugar Hill
      [Scott's new album, due out on June 10.]
      *Reckless Kelly/Let's Just Fall/Under the Table and Above
      the Sun/Sugar Hill
      [Playing live at GO! this Wed. Also, playing live on
      WXDU this Wed morning at 11:15am. Listen online
      at www.wxdu.org.]

      *Big Sandy and his Fly-Rite Boys/(You Mean) Too Much
      To Me/It's Time/Yep Roc
      [His first CD on Yep Roc finds the band heading back
      to their rockabilly roots.]
      *Gibson Brothers/Don't Forget The Coffee Billy
      Joe/Bona Fide/Sugar Hill
      [A fine version of the Tom T Hall classic. The Gibson
      Bros will be making their debut appearance at
      Twangfest this weekend.]
      *Merle Travis/Sixteen Tons/In Boston 1959/Rounder
      [New issue of a 1959 solo concert. It sounds great!]
      *Johnny Cash/Mister Garfield/Sings the Ballads of the
      True West/Columbia Legacy
      *Chatham County Line/There's A Light/Chatham
      County Line/Yep Roc
      [Local bluegrass band featuring members of Tift
      Merritt's band and Thad Cockrell's band.]
      *Fred Eaglesmith and the Flathead Noodlers/John
      Deere "B"/Balin/AML

      *Kirk Sutphin and Friends/Let Me Fall/Grandpa's
      Favorites/Old 97
      [This song, a Camp Creek Boys classic, was
      recorded with the New Camp Creek Band. If you
      like traditional NC fiddle stringband music, this
      CD is a must have.]
      *Tom House/Today Was Easy/Long Time Home
      From Here/Catamount

      *Wire/Mr Marx's Table/Send/Pink Flag
      [I hope I can rock this hard when I'm in my 50s.]
      *El Guapo/Space Tourist/Fake French/Dischord
      *Let's Active/Talking to Myself/Big Plans For Everybody/IRS
      *Graham Parker/Temporary Beauty/Another Grey Area/Arista

      *Hexstatic/Young MC-Know How/Listen and
      Learn/Ninja Tune
      *Anti-Pop Consortium/3 Digit Wiz/Tragic Epilogue/75 Ark
      *Prefuse 73/One Word Extinguisher/One Word
      *Com.A/Mix Rudegal/Shot of Love/Tigerbeat6
      [This CD is soo good I had to buy myself
      a copy on the way home from the show. Com.a
      is Age Yoshida, a guy who was born in
      England, raised in Hong Kong and New Jersey
      and now living in Tokyo, Japan. I would kill
      for his frequent flyer miles. www.tigerbeat6.com]
      *Numbers/We Like Having These Things/Ee-Uh!/
      Troubleman Unlimited
      [This EP should get the Play This At Your Sister
      Award for the best music that is annoying *and* good.]

      *The Sea and Cake/To The Author (version 1)/Glass/
      Thrill Jockey
      *Heath Haynes and the Crying Shames/Janeway to
      Sickbay/Five Deep/Self
      *The Jam/Down in the Tube Station at Midnight/The
      Jam at the BBC/Polydor
      *Swell Maps/Read About Seymour/Train Out of It/Mute
      *The Fall/Mr Pharmacist/Mr Pharmacist 12"/Beggars Banquet

      *Gossip/Don't (Make Waves)/Movement/Kill Rock Stars

      Steve Gardner - Topsoil/Haywire - Sun. 12-3pm
      WXDU 88.7FM Durham NC and on the Net at www.wxdu.org
      Clink Magazine: www.clinkmagazine.com
      * steve@... **** www.topsoil.net *