Re: Clip: Frontman says Fleshtones still fresh

  • Perfect Sound Forever
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
      Carl, thanks for sharing this article with all of us here.

      Zaremba's comments about disco are very instructive. There's a huge disco
      exhibition at the Experience Music Project now and while they have a good
      section of rock crossovers (i.e. Stones, Donna Summer), it seems that most
      people still remember the connection being the unfortunate 'disco sucks'
      riot at Comiskey Park in '79.

      Best,
      Jason

      Perfect Sound Forever
      online music magazine with warped perspectives
      perfect-sound@...
      http://www.perfectsoundforever.com
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
        --On Sunday, June 1, 2003 10:43 AM -0400 Perfect Sound Forever
        <perfect-sound@...> wrote:

        > There's a huge disco
        > exhibition at the Experience Music Project now and while they have a good
        > section of rock crossovers (i.e. Stones, Donna Summer), it seems that
        > most people still remember the connection being the unfortunate 'disco
        > sucks' riot at Comiskey Park in '79.

        Heh. I was watching that on Channel 44 and it quickly degenerated into
        smoke and chaos, with Sox announcer Jimmy Piersall threatening to strangle
        Steve Dahl (Piersall would later be suspended for choking
        then-sportswriter/now-Sox executive Rob Gallas) and Mayor Byrne brushing
        off any attempts at interviews. That was my first experience that a
        baseball game could be called off (or more accurately, forfeited) for
        reasons other than weather.

        Carl Z.
      • Rob Jefferson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
          On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Carl Abraham Zimring wrote:

          > Heh. I was watching that on Channel 44 and it quickly degenerated into
          > smoke and chaos, with Sox announcer Jimmy Piersall threatening to strangle
          > Steve Dahl (Piersall would later be suspended for choking
          > then-sportswriter/now-Sox executive Rob Gallas) and Mayor Byrne brushing
          > off any attempts at interviews.

          I missed out on that night, being all of six months old at the time. I
          did get to see occasional file footage of it growing up, though. I had
          feelings of both horror and a perverse mirth from the ensuing chaos. It
          wasn't until I got older that I realized that indeed, some people had a
          violently negative reaction to disco, and that Disco Demolition Night was
          just the most (in)famous example of it.

          Great set of eyewitness accounts here:
          http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/DiscoDemolition.htm

          rob
        • Carl Abraham Zimring
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
            Rob, sending me to my Geritol, writes:

            > I missed out on that night, being all of six months old at the time.

            Must...take...medication....

            > Great set of eyewitness accounts here:
            > http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/DiscoDemolition.htm

            This website could be hazardous to my manuscript's completion. The only
            music content in this next link is Nancy Faust's organ, but it gives a
            flavor of what the Sox were like when I was a kid:
            <http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/FalstaffHarry.htm>.

            The glory days before Tony La Russa was hired and started hanging out with
            Dennis DeYoung of Styx...

            Carl "more baseball announcers should broadcast drunk" Z.
          • samchecker
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Perfect Sound Forever
              <perfect-sound@f...> wrote:
              > Carl, thanks for sharing this article with all of us here.

              Ditto, Carl. I lost touch with the Fleshtones quite some time ago, but
              the new CD on Yep Roc kicks serious ass, and their recent performance
              at the Southpaw in Brooklyn friggin' slayed me. I can't think of too
              many bands that have been together as long as they have who still have
              that much obvious fun onstage.

              Mark W.