Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 30, 2003

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2003
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 30, 2003

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New

      Ray Charles - Busted - The Very Best Of Ray Charles
      [ I heard this track recently on a Lenny Bruce documentary
      making the rounds on the Sundance channel and it sounded so good I
      had to go pull out the Ray Charles CD. ]
      -------- - -------- - --------

      Ike & Tina Turner - I Can't Believe What You Say - Looking Good:
      Mod Club Classics*
      [ New release on Ace Records which features mainly 60s R&B &
      soul cuts popular on the U.K. mod club circuit - All kinds of great
      songs on this one ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - Green Onions (Live) - Mojo Presents Soul
      Riot
      [ Mojo magazine put out a fine compilation of soul to accompany
      one issue in 2002 of which this raw live version is included - The CD
      also contains a different version of Otis Redding's "Dock Of The
      Bay" - Well worth owning ]

      The Contours - Pa, I Need A Car - The Very Best Of The Contours
      [ Dedicated to a friend of mine's son who wrecked his car -
      these things happen ]
      -------- - -------- - --------

      Ry Cooder - 634-5789 - Borderline
      [ Ry Cooder's take on the Wilson Pickett hit ]

      Thee Midniters - Everybody Needs Somebody To Love - Thee
      Midniters Greatest
      [ Before Los Lobos & The Blazers, we had Thee Midniters out of
      East LA. - Rockin' garage treatment of the Solomon Burke song ]

      Steve Wynn & The Miracle 3 - Amphetamine - Static Transmission*
      [ A 6 1/2 minute song that seemingly goes by in three minutes -
      See them at Twangfest on Thursday (6/5) at Blueberry Hill - Don't
      take my word for it - read about Steve Wynn at
      http://seattleweekly.com/features/0322/music-wynn.php ]
      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bob Reuter - It Don't Matter - This Much I Know
      [ Who writes better songs about St. Louis than Bob Reuter? See
      him with his best band yet (Palookaville) at Twangfest on Thursday
      (June 5) at Blueberry Hill ]

      Richard Ferreira - Invisible Man - Somewhereville
      [ Also appearing (with horn section) at Twangfest on Thursday
      (June 5) at Blueberry Hill - This song generated immediate phone
      calls from people wondering who the artist was on the radio ]

      Warren Zevon - Poor Poor Pitiful Me - Genius: The Best Of Warren
      Zevon
      [ Not to be confused with the watered down, sanitized Linda
      Ronstadt version -Lindsey Buckingham provides the background vocals
      on this one ]
      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bobby Bare, Jr. - The Monk At The Disco - Young Criminals
      Starvation League
      [ Appearing at Twangfest on Thursday (June 5) at Blueberry Hill -
      Not to be missed - Also appearing with a horn section ]

      Jason & The Scorchers - Absolutely Sweet Marie - The Songs Of Bob
      Dylan
      [ One of the best Bob Dylan covers ever -Jason Ringenberg will
      be appearing on Wednesday (June 4) at the Schlafly's Tap Room]

      Rockhouse Ramblers - Bloody Williamson - Bar Time
      [ Just a wealth of talent in this St. Louis band - Appearing at
      Twangfest on Friday (June 6) at Blueberry Hill ]
      -------- - -------- - --------

      Stephen Dawson & Diane Christiansen - The Thing You Love Is Killing
      You - Duets*
      [ Richard & Linda Thompson would have been happy to sing this
      song which is on the new album featuring the two frontpersons of
      Dolly Varden - Appearing at Twangfest on Wednesday (June 4) at the
      Schlafly's Tap Room ]

      The Band - Daniel & The Sacred Harp - Stage Fright
      [ Sublime vocals from Rick Danko, Richard Manuel, & Levon Helm ]

      Gillian Welch - Wayside / Back In Time - Soul Journey*
      [ Haven't got to listen to the whole album yet but I sure liked
      this song - Still think her albums ought to be billed as "Gillian
      Welch & David Rawlings" but that's just me - This album will be
      released on June 3 and they are going on tour as the opener for Norah
      Jones on a lot of summer dates ]

      Next week, hear the admittedly shaky interviewing skills of John
      Wendland put to test when he has Barry Mazor on "Memphis To
      Manchester" to discuss TwangClips; the painstakingly compiled
      retrospective of classic country and Americana film clips from 1927-
      1997. This is being presented at Frederick's Music Lounge on Saturday
      (June 7) from 1:00-5:00 PM - Free and also includes acoustic
      performances by Fred Friction, Josh Wiese, and other Twangfest
      favorites.

      And so another episode of Memphis To Manchester goes by the wayside -
      thanks for listening
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2003
        --On Friday, May 30, 2003 11:11 PM +0000 jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...>
        wrote:

        > Richard Ferreira - Invisible Man - Somewhereville
        > [ Also appearing (with horn section) at Twangfest on Thursday
        > (June 5) at Blueberry Hill - This song generated immediate phone
        > calls from people wondering who the artist was on the radio ]
        [...]
        > Bobby Bare, Jr. - The Monk At The Disco - Young Criminals
        > Starvation League
        > [ Appearing at Twangfest on Thursday (June 5) at Blueberry Hill -
        > Not to be missed - Also appearing with a horn section ]

        I like this trend. Is the proliferation of horns a warm-up for the Sun Ra
        Arkestra next year?

        Carl "I bet I'm the first with an annoying request for an act for Twangfest
        8" Z.
      • jwmoosefan2001
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
          wrote:
          > --On Friday, May 30, 2003 11:11 PM +0000 jwmoosefan2001
          <johnw@c...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Richard Ferreira - Invisible Man - Somewhereville
          > > [ Also appearing (with horn section) at Twangfest on Thursday
          > > (June 5) at Blueberry Hill - This song generated immediate phone
          > > calls from people wondering who the artist was on the radio ]
          > [...]
          > > Bobby Bare, Jr. - The Monk At The Disco - Young Criminals
          > > Starvation League
          > > [ Appearing at Twangfest on Thursday (June 5) at Blueberry
          Hill -
          > > Not to be missed - Also appearing with a horn section ]
          >
          > I like this trend. Is the proliferation of horns a warm-up for the
          Sun Ra
          > Arkestra next year?

          Well, it's a big tent<g>

          BTW, I'm amazed if Bill Silvers (based on all the fine pop comps I've
          received from him over the years) doesn't at least think "All for
          Swinging You Around" on the New Pornographer's latest is a great pop
          song.

          Twangfest prediction: Steve Wynn & The Miracle 3 will be this year's
          Calvin Cooke.

          -John

          > Carl "I bet I'm the first with an annoying request for an act for
          Twangfest
          > 8" Z.
        • Carl Abraham Zimring
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1 6:07 AM
            --On Sunday, June 1, 2003 2:53 AM +0000 jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...>
            wrote:

            > Twangfest prediction: Steve Wynn & The Miracle 3 will be this year's
            > Calvin Cooke.

            Though probably louder! I'm curious to see what he'll squeeze into an
            hourlong set.