Clip: Freakwater's Janet Bean Takes A Solo Turn

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2003
      http://neumu.net/datastream/

      Freakwater's Janet Bean Takes A Solo Turn

      Chicago - Janet Bean opts for a cozy two-seat table in the bar of 312
      Chicago, a mahogany and marble-bedecked restaurant in Chicago's loop. It's
      nearly 5 p.m., and a matinee of The Lion King lets out next door. Bean,
      attired in a tailored suit, fits in with the post-theater crowd and the
      many business people who populate the bar.

      In fact, Bean - a veteran musician, who founded and performed in
      Freakwater, a lauded collaboration with Catherine Irwin, and, perhaps more
      eminently, Eleventh Dream Day, also a critical favorite - still has a "day
      job" working in a lawyer's office in a nearby skyscraper.

      Wearing a burgundy skirt and matching jacket, Bean, who has an 11-year-old
      son, Matthew, appears to fit the corporate image. She doesn't look anything
      like the typical "indie rocker," nor like a recording artist whose quite
      wonderful first solo album, Janet Bean and the Concertina Wire's Dragging
      Wonder Lake, has been released on Thrill Jockey.

      The album is rooted in warm Americana soundscapes but centers on Bean's
      lyrics, which chronicle a year in her life. The tracks are fleshed out with
      cellos, pedal steel and airy keyboards. "I've always fancied the notion of
      making a record along the lines of - I love the fusion of the looseness and
      the jazz sensibilities and the melodic sensibilities and the sadness of
      [Van Morrison's] Astral Weeks, and so I'd always thought that would be
      great," Bean said of the approach she took to recording Dragging Wonder
      Lake.

      "That record," she said of Astral Weeks, "is sort of just the deal for me.
      I guess in that way, it was a touchstone that I had thought about. It was
      just as much that as my love of just over-the-top Burt Bacharach, like big,
      dramatic, just super-big pop melodrama - which is probably not a savvy
      business move really," she said, laughing at the continued prospects of
      good press (yes, the album has received raves) but low sales figures.

      Sitting in the bar, Bean said she doesn't mind her day job; she likes her
      co-workers and her boss. She quips that not having to work would be ideal
      but that is just unrealistic at this point. She is seemingly amused by her
      double life.

      Bean wraps a diaphanous shawl around her back and orders a glass of red
      wine. Her dyed-red hair, slightly darker than her outfit, is pulled back;
      she sits upright in her chair, her penetrating eyes darting between her
      wine glass and other bar patrons. Bean speaks hurriedly, but her
      mellifluous voice, with its prominent Southern drawl, allows her to expand
      her thoughts, granting a sense of purpose to each word, each complete
      thought.

      Louisville, Skull of Glee and Freakwater

      Bean's career as a musician began in the rather unlikely town of
      Louisville, Ky., where she moved at age 10, leaving Tampa, Fla. As a
      teenager she became part of Louisville's burgeoning music scene. "When I
      started becoming involved with [the local music scene] in 1981, they
      actually had the cover of the Village Voice - some friends of mine from
      Louisville, and their band called the Babylon Dance Band," she said. "So
      there was this thriving punk rock scene down there, but very, very small.

      "There were a couple bands... I was in one called Skull of Glee, which
      really was this fabulous surf-meets-Roxy Music kind of band, a really odd,
      but great band."

      Bean laughs when she recounts the names of her early musical projects. That
      band had an equally quirky roster of players. "At the time [the lead
      singer]...was in the process of going through hormone shots to get a sex
      change operation," she said. "So he was this odd, tall, giant,
      half-character. It was sort of a matter of never being able to afford the
      right shots and high blood pressure, so he was always in the middle. He was
      this really great character, really fabulous guy - still is."

      Meanwhile, Bean met and befriended Irwin, with whom she began to explore
      Appalachian mountain music and traditional country sounds. "We started
      singing together - it was probably '82. It was sort of something to do,"
      she said. "Catherine had her own apartment at the time, and she was pretty
      young to have her own apartment, so I was over there all the time just to
      get out of my family's house. We just sang Loretta Lynn songs or Tammy
      Wynette songs, and then there was like a punk rock club in town that had
      this open-mic night."

      Bean explains that though she initially was put off by some mawkish country
      music, as she became more familiar with the genre she really got into it.
      "Even at that time in '82, that super-traditional country music and
      mountain music was considered pretty great... A lot of times when you're
      young like that, like 17, I guess you could think it was really just stupid
      and sentimental music, which, a lot of it, I did feel that way... But when
      I started singing with Catherine, it was just such fun music to sing
      because it was so melodic. And you can be big and dramatic. Nobody was
      really singing Burt Bacharach back then, so it had to be country music."

      As time went on, the two women formed Freakwater, only it wasn't called
      Freakwater at first. Bean explains that the two appeared on several
      compilation CDs under sundry names including Heat from the Windchill
      Factory and Hog Butcher to the World. They also played some gigs under the
      name Mojo Wish Bean and the Trippy Squash Blossom.

      Bean claims some responsibility the odd band monikers. "Generally, I guess,
      I've had a hand in naming most of them," she said. "Freakwater, I can't
      remember who came up with that. I think we were just driving around trying
      to think of something to call ourselves that wasn't Mojo Wish Bean and the
      Trippy Squash Blossom because that sounded so bad."

      Bean said that in Freakwater's early days, Irwin provided her with an
      invaluable musical education, exposing her to bands and genres that
      influenced much of the group's sound. "I didn't have this breadth of
      knowledge about mountain music," she said. "And [Catherine's] family, her
      parents, were avid collectors of the Clancy Brothers records and Irish folk
      music so she had a bigger foundation... I sort of found out a lot in a
      short period of time."

      Heading to Chicago: Forming Eleventh Dream Day

      In 1981 Bean met singer/guitarist Rick Rizzo at the University of Kentucky;
      the two eventually became a couple. She joshes that, "I came back to
      Chicago to cast my spell upon him."

      When she arrived in Chicago in 1983, Bean said, there wasn't an established
      music scene in which she felt comfortable playing. "It wasn't that much of
      a music scene here - I'm sure there was pop stuff going on...," she said.
      "There was more of a hardcore punk scene, and Rick and I weren't really
      interested in making that kind of music."

      The two formed Eleventh Day Dream, with Bean becoming the group's drummer;
      she also sang. Recalling the band's development is difficult for Bean,
      though she acknowledges the influence of friends in the community. "I don't
      know how we got shows. I don't remember any of that," she said, laughing.
      "It's all kind of a blur to me. Just at the time there were some friends...
      it was a nice, kind of fun, friendly, small-town feel of bands. There
      certainly wasn't the idea that Chicago's the right place to be to play
      music. Not at all."

      But Chicago provided the right community to nurture the band; Eleventh
      Dream Day were regarded as fine upstarts. The recorded an EP, Eleventh
      Dream Day and an album, Prairie School Freakout for the independent Amoeba
      label. They were critically lauded (Greil Marcus singled them out in his
      Interview column), caught the attention of Betina Richards (who went on to
      found Thrill Jockey) who was, at the time, in the A&R department at
      Atlantic Records. Richards signed them to Atlantic. The group's albums
      received adulatory press, but Eleventh Dream Day never found commercial
      success.

      "I think that we're really highly rated, we're just underpaid," she said,
      laughing, about being dubbed Chicago's most underrated band in a recent
      issue of Chicago Magazine. "We certainly get a lot of great press and great
      reviews. We've been really super lucky that way. So, I wouldn't say the
      people that are doing the rating have really underrated us. Sometimes I
      think they attribute much more to us than we're really worthy of. But as
      far as sales, that could have been better.

      "I like being the underrated band," she continued. "It's a nice comfortable
      position, because you're held with a certain amount of esteem and people
      root for you because you're like the Cubs or something. You don't really
      get too big for your britches that way."

      Bean said working with a major label had its perks. "It was fun to drive
      around in Bentleys and go to photo shoots and stuff, and live the high life
      in a very tiny way," she said.

      As time went on, the label tried to influence the band's sound. "I think on
      El Moodio it was our attempt to see if we could make songs that might
      somehow appeal to a wider audience. But it didn't really work," Bean said.

      "On El Moodio [executives at Atlantic] picked the single to be this song
      that I sang," she said. "They'd fly you up there and you'd go into the
      offices and they'd schmooze you and do all this stuff. And they'd say,
      'Don't worry about the numbers. You know girl singers aren't big this
      month' and they'll make some sort of crazy, preposterous comments like
      that. And it just seems so ridiculous. I think that because it was never
      our goal to be a huge success that it didn't make any difference to us. We
      were just excited that we got to keep on making records and critically we
      were doing fine. It was a fine experience."

      Trying Out a Solo Career

      Eventually, Atlantic dropped Eleventh Dream Day, though Bean and Rizzo
      continued to collaborate. The band currently records for Thrill Jockey; its
      most recent album was 2000's Stalled Parade. Bean also remained a member of
      Freakwater, recording and writing with Irwin. But an urge to record a solo
      album - something she calls less an conscious career move and more "just a
      matter of inertia or someone threatening" - came after suggesting
      Freakwater partner Irwin do the same.

      "I couldn't tour so much," she said. "I was sort of mired in a relationship
      that was difficult to get away, so I told Catherine I thought it would be a
      really good idea, since she wanted to tour all the time, for her to make a
      record on her own, so she could tour on it. And I kind of wanted to make
      one on my own too in a way... the reason not being to tour, but just
      because I wanted to make one with all the possibilities that Chicago has to
      offer as far as musicians and studios."

      Bean is at a loss for contemporary influences, mostly because she says she
      doesn't hear too much current music. Most recently she caught the
      Polyphonic Spree on late-night TV and was underwhelmed, if not completely
      disquieted; on the other hand, she said likes the recent Cat Power album,
      You Are Free.

      It's not that Bean has an aversion to new music. She's just limited by
      technology. "It's sad to say, but I only have a mono hi-fi, like an
      old-fashioned hi-fi, and then a boom box," she said. "I don't have anything
      adequate to play music on, so it's regulated by those two devices. So, I
      don't really buy CDs because I don't really want to buy them for that damn
      little Magnavox boom box.

      "And then my turntable, I love it, but it's really made to play old
      records, so I'll buy an old Randy Newman record or an old Led Zeppelin
      record or something," she said, continuing. "I buy those at thrift stores.
      I don't hear too much new music unless I'm with friends and I'll go, 'Oh,
      what's this? That sounds pretty good.'"

      Bean has some wild fantasies about how she'd like to perform her album.
      "I'd love to have a big stage show," she said. "My secret fantasy is to
      have a stage version of it, like ABBA's Mamma Mia! And it starts out - and
      I'm not in it - people are playing the songs, like this really austere
      stage and a really white light, just playing the opening part of the song
      'Suddenly' which is really spare. And then all of a sudden it's like BIG
      and then it jumps out and there's all kinds of dancing girls and stuff.
      It's like a combination of actual thoughtfulness as far as musicians go,
      and then absolute ridiculousness."

      The album befits Bean's vaudeville-esque vision. The songs are typically
      jaunty despite some hefty themes. "It's a happy little record about
      desperation and regret," she teased.

      And how does Bean manage to contain downbeat themes in happy sounds? "Maybe
      that comes around Freakwater and the actual history of mountain music and
      the storytelling aspect of it - like telling dark messages like 'Knoxville
      Girls,' which is a very dark song - and singing it in a very casual way,
      where there's no emotion whatsoever," Bean theorized. "These bouncy songs
      are conveying how somebody went down and murdered a girl on the banks of
      the Ohio River. I like giving a shiny front, and then the ugly underbelly
      is even more sinister, I suppose." - Brian Orloff [Wednesday, May 28, 2003]