playn

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4 9:38 AM
      the bag this week holds
      WAR All Day Music
      Early 70s Latinate funk including Slipping into Darkness(which was
      supposed to be the first track that the first line up of the Gun
      Club/Creeping ritual jammed on)
      Most groovesome. No Burdonisms to get down abaht.
      He did leave Lee Oskar behind so this street funk got it some flute.
      pretty spacey sense of funk , trying to work out what else I need.
      I mean how I can live without Low Rider I dunno.

      UNCUT ACID DAZE
      Current mag's cover mounted cd
      18 tracks of British psych.
      Pretty nice selection, several things I didn't have, coupla things I
      hadn't heard.
      Strangely these include Dantalion's Chariot's Madman running Through
      The fields , can't think why I hadn't heard that before
      +post winwood Spencer Davis Group.

      BOB DYLAN Highway 61 Revisited
      Finally bought this after putting it off for other choices for way
      too long.
      Dylan's move back to R&R after the folk years is most good. The '65
      era stuff is great though I find `Ballad Of A Thin Man' a tad tiring.
      Very danceable rhythms throughout for something so 'profound'
      Love Tombstone Blues. The guitar on Desolation Row ain't to be
      sneezed at either.
      Nina Simone's Just Like Tom Thumb is pretty dashed fine too.

      ARTWOODS Art Gallery
      Mod jazz/.r&b featuring Ron Wood's bro Arthur +John Lord
      Pretty nice though Lord's organ playing seems to lack bite in places.
      The cover of Jimmy Smith's 'Walk On The Wild Side' for one.
      Strange seeing that fronged suede jacket coupled with an ostensively
      mod look on the inner sleeve picture.
      Derek Griffiths guitar is pretty meaty. Did he go onto anything else?
      Get a melanin transplant & join the Playaway tv team or sump'n?
      The sleevenotes here say something about one reason for the band's
      split was their lack of original material. Is In The Deep End theirs?
      I've got that on that Turkish psych compi, you can hear eastern
      influences on the Artwoods versh.
      Think the St Valentine's Massacre track is pretty good too. used to
      have that by Dave Alvin with Sun Ra.

      SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET Mendocino
      Country psych etc etc stuff including the original version of At The
      Crossroads and a remake of She's about a mover.
      This is the Acadia reissue with a stack of bonus cuts including 2
      band autobios.

      CREATION Our Music is Red With Purple Flashes
      Bout time I had their stuff again. Think this is all but the Mark IV
      +the reunion stuff.
      Great riffs they had so they did

      ROBERT WYATT Rock Bottom
      Oceanic rock archetype. 1st post accident LP.
      seems from the sleevenotes that this must've been part –written in
      either Chantry or Hermes point. I lived there for a while.
      Weird hearing Mike Oldfield do something worthwhile(though his stuff
      wit The whole Wide World is pretty cool too)

      STEVEN STILLS/MANASSAS
      Country/ Latin big group stuff featuring Chris Hillman among others.
      Love this cosmic country stuff though some of the lyrics are a tad
      twee-Johnny's Garden for 1.
      There's another lp by Manassas isn't there? is it the same players?
      Loadsa luvlee geetar on here. Wonder to what extent this is an
      influence on the Coral, The 'Burn etc? Could see it being one.

      DILLARD & CLARK The Fantastic Expedition/ Through The Morning Through
      The Night
      The 2lps by ex –Byrd/great lyricist with banjo maestro.
      Train Leaves Here This Morning and Why Not Your baby are extremely
      poignant. Contenders for best song of all time? (not that that's got
      any sole contenders mind)

      SPIRITUALISED The Complete Works Volume One
      The early singles stuff by still Spaceman 3 member.
      I'm wondering to what extent he was lissnin to stuff like James
      Taylor at this time cos he definitely was in '92. I hear bits and
      pieces that I think are Folk based amongst the excess. And that was
      something I thought came later.
      This has the most minimal packaging in terms of augmentation. Outside
      of a B+W shot of bank drawers on the cover this is all white. I
      coulda done with some liners or is it supposed to be a cd –rom too,
      it certainly set off some protective response from the first computer
      I tried it on.

      MARVIN GAYE What's Going On? Deluxe Edition
      Original LP original mix of first LP, first gig by Gaye in 4 years
      after death of Tammi Tyrrell onstage (in his arms).
      This is a stunning record. the Motown mix is a lot more dance floor
      orientated and lacks the same quality in the doubled up voice.
      Another record I've been living without for too long.

      TEN YEARS AFTER Undead
      Live workouts from 68. before Alvin Lee had made his name at
      Woodstock, speshly done to have something to tour the States with.
      Shows that before they became the hoary rock band of Woodstock they
      were a pretty tasty jazz/r&b band.
      Seem to be 4 roughly equal members here, wonder to what extent that
      changes later. Yes Woodstock concentrates on A. Lee gurning but is
      that just a camera angle.
      That track Goin' Home is here in shorter form as is their Spoonful
      which was the first track by them I really heard.

      ASH RA TEMPLE Schwingungen
      The hollowed out framework of a heavy stoner blues sound? Manuel
      Gottsching etc
      Always wondered if I was getting the full sonic picture since all you
      hear of Gottsching is contact on strings rather than resonant tone.
      Whatever, this is levitating.

      POL O CEONAILL Tri Agus Tri
      Me ol budster the Hurdy Gurdy man. Know this geezer from Shop Street
      where he dresses up in faux medieval garb (actually ski pants +a home
      made cape) and plays medieval/traditional/folk stuff on top of an
      upturned barrel. Bought this of him, looked him up today and he's
      apparently related to THAT Kelly Family. Seems to have gone off to
      study to be a chef while his brother's branch of the family became
      famous in Germany.

      BEATLES Help!
      The last Beatles lp to have a lot of cover stuff on it.
      Haven't seen the film in too long.
      Can't work out why I didn't rate the band heavily for years. Didn't
      have the stuff cos it was all full price for one thing.
      Is thois a step back from Hard dAy's Night. I find it a far less
      satisfying lp. Am I missing much in lacking For SAle & Sgt Pepper's?
      +is there a noticeable difference in sound on that Number ones compi
      from the earlier masters. jhust thinking that Sgt Peper's is around
      in cd form from '87 like Abbey Rd which seems strange for about THE
      most famous lp ever.

      THE WOODS BAND
      Terry and Gay with band playing Electric Irish folk. This is gorgeous
      but I still can't tell if I'm hearing things, as they ought to be.
      For a 2001 Edsel remaster this is very warbly, is it meant to be?
      Have heard that the Edesel remaster is from decaying master tapes.
      I think the version of Dreams here may possibly be better than the
      Sweeney's Men, which is pretty luscious/spacey. Everytime is lovely
      too. Omy think this is a must have.
      Is the great electric guitar here Terry Woods or Ed Deane?

      OPETH Deliverance
      Scandinavian epic metal band. Wish the vocalist would stick with that
      great tuneful singing style instead of the death metal type grunt
      though.
      Prog influence shows through heavily in places too.
      It has the same in yer face hood as some of that precision riff stuff
      like Kepone, Big black etc then adds a sheen of folky acoustic stuff.
      Think I might investigate further.

      SOFT MACHINE Third
      4 track double LP on 1cd . This is currently out in its earlier cd
      form on Rewind and remastered from Japan or somewhere. I've got the
      Rewind one.
      Tracks here partially recorded at Mothers the same Brum venue as the
      Floyd's Ummagumma's listenable stuff.
      Each track is around the 20 minute mark and this is mostly
      instrumental apart from Wyatt's Moon In June.

      RED HOUSE PAINTERS
      Jigsaw produced double LP. Mark Kozeleik apparently took the tapes
      of the band playing the songs, took them apart then rebuilt them.
      Great LP anyway. Floaty country/folk stuff, makes him sound a little
      wimpy though.
      Don't show the later KISS influence anyway. Trying to think how well
      this stuff came across live when i saw them in Dublin about 4 years
      after the lp.

      TIR NA NOG
      Hippy velvets fan from Dublin late 60s teams up with classically
      trained partner.
      Makes music. Here they're like a cynical Irish ISB. later they add
      permanent rhythm section and get rockier.

      BEATLES A Hard Day's Night
      Archetypal LP. One of the greatest of its time, probably ever.

      N.E.R.D. In Search Of
      Poppy rap stuff.
      Deeply influenced by that early 80s Electro type stuff.
      I was really reminded of the Planet Patrol +Jonzun Crew stuff I
      picked up last year.
      I heard that this was originally cut as the Neptunes production team
      artificially trying to put a rock influenced lp together in the
      studio. Limited released in that form , then the group returned to
      the studio withy live musicians and recut it. Got some pretty tasty
      surfy guitar licks on it too.

      STEREOLAB ABC Music
      The Peel sessions.
      Works as a best of pretty nicely.
      +I finally get all of Metronomic Underground the '96 track that I
      taped off the Peel show but had the tape auto reverse during the
      recording thereby screwing up the
      ending.
      Luvlee stuff covering the years from '92 beginnings.
      Folky loungey stuff showing through in great quantity amongst the
      krautrocky repetition.

      HIGH ON FIRE The Art of Self Defense
      First LP turned up here at last. Not as ferocious as the 2nd one.
      This is far more stoner than that. Shows that Matt Pike is a pretty
      tasty geetarist has subtlety as well as ferocity. the tracks are all
      way longer than on the later lp & intensity comes through in a very
      different way

      ULTRASOUND Everything Picture
      Short lived prog influenced crew lead by the massive Tiny.
      2cd =their first lp . very forceful sound, might give prog a good
      name.
      Is that a fear others share?
      I like it anyway.
      Hear the guitarist went onto a combo called Minuteman (has he never
      heard of a geezer called Mike WAtt?-obscure trivia note, the
      Minutemen What Makes a man start fires NME review ran next to an
      advert for The Bad Seed e.p? enough of a Cave connection?
      Oh yeah +that band was as influenced by The Pop Group as Nick & the
      cru

      SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE The Essential
      Like the title says.
      concentrates on the 3 lps around the turn of the 70s though.
      2 tracks a piece fro the fitrst 3
      +no live stuf which is a pain.
      could do with that texas pop festival finally getting a rerelease,
      sumbudy nicked my cd of it.
      these essential 2cd swets work as pretty good overviews though. nice
      to have Fresh stuff again

      TELEVISION Double Exposure
      The Richard Hell era Eno stuff.
      Cruder than the later stuff but Hell is less technically proficient
      than Fred Smith. He's definitely a better songwriter though.

      BRIAN ENO Here Come The Warm Jets
      These early solo LPs sure predate punk don't they?
      Brian, shortly after leaving Roxy over continual ego squabbling gets
      half the band to play on his first solo tracks.Also got members of
      Pink Faeries, King Crimson etc
      Baby's On Fire here got a great cover from Peter Laughner, bout time
      somebody reissued that guy's solo material.

      MAGMA Kohntarkosz
      More soul/jazz zeul stuff.
      Here one long 2part track, and 2 shorter thingies one dedicated to
      John Coltrane.

      LOVIN' SPOONFUL Do You Believe In Magic
      More rocky than I woulda expected. Always did love this band though.
      Gotta get the LP with coconut grove on it. That's real ethereal.
      Strange hearing them do straight rockers like Alley Oop, shows Zally
      (?) to be far rockier than I mighta thunk. Night Owl blues is pretty
      groovesome too.

      STREETS Original Pirate Material
      The geezer wiv da gob over 2step stuff.
      Little narratives about Sarf Lunnun life innit?
      Stevo
      Np Ultrasound Everything Picture Cross mY Heart
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5 7:09 AM
        --On Sunday, May 4, 2003 4:38 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...> wrote:

        > the bag this week holds
        > WAR All Day Music
        > Early 70s Latinate funk including Slipping into Darkness(which was
        > supposed to be the first track that the first line up of the Gun
        > Club/Creeping ritual jammed on)
        > Most groovesome. No Burdonisms to get down abaht.
        > He did leave Lee Oskar behind so this street funk got it some flute.
        > pretty spacey sense of funk , trying to work out what else I need.
        > I mean how I can live without Low Rider I dunno.

        Slippin' Into Darkness is my favorite War track; something that gets played
        regularly on hot summer nights. Avoid the greatest hits packages, which
        sometimes have truncated tracks and questionable remixes, in favor of the
        original albums. The albums have good sequencing anyway...

        > MARVIN GAYE What's Going On? Deluxe Edition
        > Original LP original mix of first LP, first gig by Gaye in 4 years
        > after death of Tammi Tyrrell onstage (in his arms).
        > This is a stunning record. the Motown mix is a lot more dance floor
        > orientated and lacks the same quality in the doubled up voice.
        > Another record I've been living without for too long.

        Is the mix any different than the remastered CD that came out about five
        years ago? That was pretty damn swell.

        > BEATLES Help!
        > The last Beatles lp to have a lot of cover stuff on it.
        > Haven't seen the film in too long.
        > Can't work out why I didn't rate the band heavily for years. Didn't
        > have the stuff cos it was all full price for one thing.
        > Is thois a step back from Hard dAy's Night. I find it a far less
        > satisfying lp. Am I missing much in lacking For SAle & Sgt Pepper's?
        > +is there a noticeable difference in sound on that Number ones compi
        > from the earlier masters. jhust thinking that Sgt Peper's is around
        > in cd form from '87 like Abbey Rd which seems strange for about THE
        > most famous lp ever.

        I don't know if they ever bothered to remaster the back catalog, but as an
        advocate of the 1966-68 Beatles catalog being among the very best put out
        by anyone at any time, I'd recommend purchases.

        > THE WOODS BAND
        > Terry and Gay with band playing Electric Irish folk. This is gorgeous
        > but I still can't tell if I'm hearing things, as they ought to be.
        > For a 2001 Edsel remaster this is very warbly, is it meant to be?
        > Have heard that the Edesel remaster is from decaying master tapes.
        > I think the version of Dreams here may possibly be better than the
        > Sweeney's Men, which is pretty luscious/spacey. Everytime is lovely
        > too. Omy think this is a must have.
        > Is the great electric guitar here Terry Woods or Ed Deane?

        When is this from? And is Terry Woods part of the rumored Pogues reunion?
        (What about Cait O'Riordan?)

        > TELEVISION Double Exposure
        > The Richard Hell era Eno stuff.
        > Cruder than the later stuff but Hell is less technically proficient
        > than Fred Smith. He's definitely a better songwriter though.

        Is this a bootleg or an easily obtainable release? I wanna hear it!

        > BRIAN ENO Here Come The Warm Jets
        > These early solo LPs sure predate punk don't they?
        > Brian, shortly after leaving Roxy over continual ego squabbling gets
        > half the band to play on his first solo tracks.Also got members of
        > Pink Faeries, King Crimson etc
        > Baby's On Fire here got a great cover from Peter Laughner, bout time
        > somebody reissued that guy's solo material.

        I love that cover! I don't know if _Take the Guitar Player for a Ride_ is
        still in print, but between that and the Rocket from the Tombs reissue from
        last year, that's two and a half hours of prime (if lo-fi) Laughner.

        My CD changer has four new things in it: Janet Bean's _Dragging Wonder
        Lake_, which I talked about here earlier; Yo La Tengo's _Summer Sun_, which
        also has a little debt to _Astral Weeks_; Silkworm's mandolin & acoustic
        guitar EP _You Are Dignified_, which has fine covers of Robbie Fulks and
        Nina Nastasia (and a hilarious arrangement of Shellac's "Prayer to God");
        and Wire's _Send_, which fucking rocks. Most of the songs were released on
        the two _Read & Burn_ EPs, but since I never got the second one, a lot of
        this is new to me. Regardless, the sequencing is great and it's the most
        immediately-appealing rock CD I've heard in months.

        Carl Z.
      • samchecker
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5 7:48 AM
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
          wrote:

          > My CD changer has four new things in it: Janet Bean's _Dragging
          Wonder
          > Lake_, which I talked about here earlier; Yo La Tengo's _Summer
          Sun_, which
          > also has a little debt to _Astral Weeks_; Silkworm's mandolin &
          acoustic
          > guitar EP _You Are Dignified_, which has fine covers of Robbie Fulks
          and
          > Nina Nastasia (and a hilarious arrangement of Shellac's "Prayer to
          God");
          > and Wire's _Send_, which fucking rocks. Most of the songs were
          released on
          > the two _Read & Burn_ EPs, but since I never got the second one, a
          lot of
          > this is new to me. Regardless, the sequencing is great and it's the
          most
          > immediately-appealing rock CD I've heard in months.

          I just got my Wire CD in the mail over the weekend (and thanks to
          whoever it was here that tipped me off to the freebie live CD you get
          by ordering it directly from pinkflag.com!), and I'm with Carl Z.
          here. Like you, Carl, I'm a little surprised with how much overlap
          there is from Read and Burn 01, but I don't have the second EP,
          either. "99.9", the final track, is so damn good, which I can't
          believe I would say about a track that's 7+ minutes long. If I were
          to carp about anything on this CD, it's that they're a little *too* in
          love with looping guitars and synths, but that only bugs me on a
          couple of the weaker cuts. All in all, it shows that old f*ckers can
          still sound current and vital...

          Mark
        • Lance Davis
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5 8:24 AM
            > > BEATLES Help!
            > > Is this a step back from Hard dAy's Night. I find it a far
            > > less satisfying lp. Am I missing much in lacking For SAle
            > > & Sgt Pepper's?

            I think Hard Day's Night is the best summation of the early
            Beatles you're gonna hear. A joyful, and very underrated album -
            well, underrated as far as the Beatles go ;) Where Help and For
            Sale have a few dead spots, HDN is one 2-3 minute blast of
            proto-power-pop genius after another. (OK, I'm Happy Just to
            Dance prior to Rubber Soul). Basically, it has all the charms of
            With the Beatles, but because the album is comprised solely of
            originals, you gotta give it props for artistic ambition.

            It could certainly be argued that ALL of the Beatles albums are
            essential, but HDN is sort of a sleeper gem. Hard to say that
            any Beatles album would qualify as such, but if one does, this
            one would be it. Incidentally, this song has what I think is the
            most underappreciated song in the Beatles catalog: When I Get
            Home. You're never gonna hear it on the radio and you're never
            gonna see it on "Best Ofs," but hot damn, I love that song!

            LD

            =====
            "What do you expect me to do ... NOT dance with a dog?"
            --Bobby Hill

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • Lance Davis
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5 8:36 AM
              > (OK, I'm Happy Just to Dance prior to Rubber Soul).

              Um ... this should probably read, "OK, I'm Happy Just to Dance
              With You is a throwaway, but it's still probably George's best
              song prior to Rubber Soul."

              LD

              =====
              "What do you expect me to do ... NOT dance with a dog?"
              --Bobby Hill

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • Kathleen Loebig
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5 9:56 AM
                <BR>
                and Wire's _Send_, which fucking rocks.  Most of the songs were released on <BR>
                the two _Read & Burn_ EPs, but since I never got the second one, a lot of <BR>
                this is new to me.  Regardless, the sequencing is great and it's the most <BR>
                immediately-appealing rock CD I've heard in months.<BR>
                ====

                I am waiting patiently for mine to arrive in the mail...I pre-ordered the damn thing weeks ago.

                I'm still disappointed they're passing Seattle by on their latest US mini-tour.
                http://www.operamail.com
                Get OperaMail Premium today - USD 29.99/year

                Powered by Outblaze
              • samchecker
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5 10:29 AM
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Loebig" <missdiva@o...>
                  wrote:

                  > I am waiting patiently for mine to arrive in the mail...I
                  pre-ordered the damn thing weeks ago.

                  If you ordered it from posteverything.com the way I did, I just got
                  mine on Saturday. I wrote to them asking what was up, and apparently
                  they didn't get a shipment ahead of the release date (4/28) so that
                  they could mail it out earlier.

                  Mark
                • Carl Abraham Zimring
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5 11:03 AM
                    --On Monday, May 5, 2003 2:48 PM +0000 samchecker <mwyatt@...>
                    wrote:

                    > If I were
                    > to carp about anything on this CD, it's that they're a little *too* in
                    > love with looping guitars and synths, but that only bugs me on a
                    > couple of the weaker cuts. All in all, it shows that old f*ckers can
                    > still sound current and vital...

                    What I find interesting about the samples'n'synths is the band has
                    effectively meshed its early sound with its mid-80s sound and come up with
                    something different, current and as aggressive as anything they've done.
                    My only carping about the album would be the omission of "I Don't
                    Understand." Since I own it on the EP, I gotta sat I'm pretty content.
                    Listening to it first thing in the morning is more effective than expresso.

                    Carl Z.
                  • Perfect Sound Forever
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 6 6:09 AM
                      If you haven't seen it already, definitely rent the expanded DVD version
                      of "A Hard Day's Night." Lots of extras and goodies there. One of my
                      favorites is when they're interviewing director Richard Lester: "I got a
                      parchment saying that I was the father of MTV. I wanted to get a blood
                      test!" Roger Ebert is a huge fan of the film too, going through it
                      scene by scene in film classes he's taught.

                      Interesting to see the four lads at the point when they were dominating
                      Western Civilization but still having fun with all of it.

                      Best,
                      Jason
                      --
                      Perfect Sound Forever
                      online music magazine with warped perspectives
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
                        MATCHING MOLE Little Red Record
                        2nd lp by Canterbury crew centred around Robert Wyatt. I think this
                        is the last thing he cut before his paralysing accident. More
                        instrumental based than previous s/t lp.
                        I think this is great, wondering what the live lps are like.

                        CARAVAN If I Could Do It Again
                        2nd lp by Canterbury crew utilising jazz influence central to the
                        style.I think I'm getting used to the vocal style which I didn't like
                        much at first.
                        There seems to be a pervasive sense of melancholy through a lot of
                        the band's stuff down to the mix of vocals & mellotron. Some
                        beautiful stuff here.

                        SCREAMERS In A Better World
                        LA 1st wave punk band that used keyboards only, no guitar. Not sure
                        how much of their stuff is Paul Roessler & how much the other guy.
                        This is a boot on the XEroid label. The band actually had a policy
                        about not releasing their own material, then went on to set up a
                        record label a piece (I think).

                        STEVIE WONDER Music of My Mind & Fulfillingness' First Finale
                        1st & 4th lps from the early 70s synthy period. More noticeable on
                        MoMM than the more funky FFF.

                        MAN UA Years compi
                        Welsh prog/acidrockers compi. I need to work out what full lps are
                        necessary in what cd versions

                        VAN MORRISON Veedon Fleece
                        Falling head over heels with this lp, think it's a great wake up lp.
                        Somewhat similar to Astral Weeks, but not as loose. Far more tied up
                        in folk than that lp's improvisational jazz approach. This is heading
                        in that direction but winds up pretty dreamy/spiritual.
                        Van's last lp for something like 3 years, a good exit. Debatable
                        whether his return has been anywhere near as inspired as the run of
                        lps up to here.

                        & St Dominic's Preview
                        Peak of Caledonian soul? Almost Independence day is gorgeous too.
                        Canm't see why somebody would dislike Gyp[sy which I think is great.
                        There's a rare interview with Van in the new UNcut, which I've yet to
                        read.

                        T REX Electric Warrior
                        Took me 34 years to get it but I finally did. Great rocked up stuff
                        of deep influence Zeitgeist of the `70s? This comes with `works in
                        progress' versions of all the tracks.
                        Which Howling Wolf track was the direct model for Jeepster?

                        BLUES BREAKERS With ERIC CLAPTON
                        '66, the lp just before the formation of Cream. Here John Mayall is
                        backed by John McVie on bass & Hughie Flint on drums both of whom
                        went on to give their names to better known bands.
                        I think this was the lp that got Clapton's guitar stylings hailed
                        asGod' wasn't it. Nice jazzy blues stuff.

                        GONG Angel's Egg
                        Have a cup of early 70s prog-psych. More wordy but no less inventive
                        than its follow up You. Been trying to work out which of their stuff
                        is essential. I guess the combo of Daevid Allen & Steve Hillage is a
                        good sign. Though Camembert is pretty cool as is Bananamoon.

                        DONOVAN Sunshine Superman recent remaster of the '66 psych lp.
                        Originally way before the trend but thanks to disagreements with the
                        UK label it came out behind things like Sgt Pepper over there. I
                        think the US label were more on the ball though

                        JOHN MARTYN Solid Air remaster

                        TANGERINE DREAM Electronic Meditation
                        Their pre synth Pink Floyd impro drone debut

                        LOVE'S A REAL THING World Psych vol3 (love track 8 especially)
                        African psych funk compiled by David Byrne. Sounds great on a
                        dacefloor which is where I was into-ed to it

                        NEIL YOUNG On The Beach
                        pretty p-ed off for a millionaire weren't he?

                        ADAM & THE ANTS Dirk Wears White Sox
                        This is AA backed by the guys who went onto be Bow Wow Wow before
                        either party had discovered Burundi rhythms. Prettyy good band they
                        were anyway

                        BLONDIE Plastic Letters
                        2nd lp by NYC bubblegum meets garage rockers.Stein could write a
                        decent hook and Debbie was more than just gorgeous. Intelligent too.
                        As for Clem Burke? Master drummer or just extremeley apt for garageuy
                        stuff?

                        SIMON & GARFUNKEL Bookends
                        Their greatest lp? Got Hazy Shade of Winter on anyway. Mainly
                        acoustic fronted electric band here.

                        ELTON JOHN Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
                        Couldn't help myself guv. Idea of finding out this was of any cop
                        kept playing avcross my mind. I think Taupin was a great lyricist but
                        I think this is as far as one really need go. EJ was trying to hang
                        out with people like Iggy Pop at this point any road.

                        HELP YOURSELF s/t
                        This should appeal to QMS fans if you're not aware of it, early '70s
                        UK based band. associates of MAN remind me heavily of the
                        Beefheart/Fapardokly offshoot MU meets SF guitar impro.

                        HAWKWIND Do RE Mi
                        Their heaviest early '70s stuff? Lemmy on bass is a sign of quality
                        with these guys I believe.

                        PLASTIC PEOPLE OF THE UNIVERSE Egon Bondy
                        Nice droney stuff from Czechoslovakia. Think it comes from '78 &
                        predates the DiY industrial sound heard from blokes in long coats
                        over the next few years in the UK.

                        STARK REALITY Now
                        Weird electric vibraphone led band featuring the guitar of John
                        Abercrombie. Here they are covering a bunch of Hoagy Carmichael
                        written children's songs. Psychedelic Funk stuff.

                        COMETS ON FIRE Blue Cathedral
                        Heavy jazzified skronk out. Like Detroit avant garage expomnentiated
                        and updated. Interesting that one of the people on 6 string carnage
                        is Ben Chasny of 6 Organs of Admittance who specialise in acoustic
                        folky stuff. I guess to every ying there's a yang?

                        SANDY DENNY North Star Grassman & The Ravens
                        Greatly improved sound on recent cd version of what was projected as
                        the 2nd fotheringay lp and wound up a field of exquisite melancholy
                        with loads of lovely Richard THompson guitar on it.

                        MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA Inner Mounting Flame
                        McLaughlin loves to burn. This thankfully lacks the cheesy synths
                        that I found detrimental to BIrds Of Fire. I guess all this line ups
                        recordings are well worth the effort though I've yet to hear Trident
                        or Between.
                        GRATEFUL DEAD various bits & pieces from archive.org mainly from '68
                        I know there have been other things but can't remember what offhand
                        Stevo
                        Np Cream I Feel Free Disc2 Live Toad
                      • Stevo
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 8, 2005
                          Trying to think What I've been listening to
                          Van Der Graaf Generator Pawn Hearts
                          remaster came yesterday and is positively scrumptuous. Sound is so
                          much better than '87 version (inevitable really). You can realy hear
                          how great they were. Wonder if the difference on H To He to the
                          earlier version is as stunning?

                          Todd Rundgren A Wizard A TRue Star
                          Trying to work out with this if I've been diddled or not. Good lp as
                          it is, I was offered the Essential label version from '99 & wind up
                          with one saying Rhino Remaster with no date.
                          I guess I'll enjoy it nonetheless.
                          Gets pretty tripped out on the noisefront in places then retreats to
                          soul cover medleys weird eh?

                          Richard & LInda THompson Hokey POke
                          Was going to skip this thanks to reviews I'd read elsewhere then
                          thought oh well it's half price innit?
                          Got some awesome guitar on it even if the lyrics aren't as great as
                          elsewhere.
                          Now to work out what of his actual solo stuff is neccessary.

                          Patti Smith Radio Ethiopia
                          Hadn't played this in a solid yonk but tis a thing of beauty. Her
                          acid rock lp? Very impro based guitar stuff yum.

                          Procol Harum The First Four
                          2cd set of the first load of their stuff. Intersting sound palette
                          (rich&fruity? think they just said that) With guitar mainly used for
                          shading +2 types of keyboard. Very stately innit?
                          I'd reccommend it I think.

                          Van Morrison Veedon Fleece
                          Weird coincidence I discover this music just before going on a trip
                          to a place it synaesthetically represents (to me anyway) . Nice wet
                          weather rural stuff . Lovely.

                          Grateful DEad Dick's Picks 4
                          The 2nd disc of this has some of the most psychedelic stuff I've ever
                          heard on it. First disc has some cool stuff too, must listen to the
                          3rd again.

                          John Martyn Solid Air
                          Why've I gone without this disc for so long? weird combo of
                          folk/jazz/blues etc combined with echoplex guitar leads to something
                          quasi dubby. Very innovative stuff.

                          Lee Perry Arkology Disc 1
                          Need to know what of his stuff I really need. Just bought the
                          biography People Funny BOy, hope that 'll help.

                          Nurse With Wound Thunder Perfect MInd
                          Surrealistic noise stuff. quite compelling really. Another artist I
                          should know more about/be more familiar with esp since he gave me
                          this.

                          Ahmed Mukhtar/Sattar Al-Saadi -Rhythms Of Baghdad
                          Had this for a few years and not played it much. Shame really cos its
                          excellent - instrumental duets of strings +percussion. Lovely .

                          Stevie Wonder Innervisions
                          Found my pre2000 version of this lp and realised what a folly it was
                          not to have played it much. Cos its 'kin great innit? Now to find
                          Talking Book

                          Dublin band called PUGET SOUND who played live at the Erris gathering
                          http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=69962
                          and were pretty incredible in a Minutemen ish type of way what with
                          an incredible drummer and all. Guitarist said he'd send me a cdr or
                          something. Great.

                          Jimi Hendrix Live At Woodstock
                          Difficult to hear about half the people playing on this. Despite great
                          detail payed on remastering.
                          Far more visceral than I'd feared, some great fiery jamming in
                          places. Yum

                          Loads more stuff I can't think of offhand
                          Stevo
                          NP JImi Hendrix Live At Woodstock Hear My TRain A Coming