Re: [fearnwhiskey] Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 02, 2003

  • Lance Davis
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2003
      > De La Soul - The Magic Number - 3 Feet High & Rising
      > [ Somehow this passed me by in 1989 and I just recently got
      > introduced to it - The album draws from all kinds of musical
      > styles, mixes it together, and makes it sound like nobody
      > else. ]

      The same exact description could work for the Beasties' Paul's
      Boutique, which came out within a few months of the De La's
      masterwork. Come to think of it, Paul's is the B-Boys'
      masterwork.

      Oh, and you're right about Bettie Serveert. Palomine is a
      destroyer of an album and I think Log 22 might be #2 on their
      list. White Dogs is one of the greatest songs ever written to
      simultaneously be influenced by the Velvets and NOT be
      annoyingly obvious about it.

      LD

      =====
      "You spend half your life trying to turn the other half around."
      --Kathleen Edwards

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2003
        --On Friday, May 2, 2003 11:37 PM +0000 jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...>
        wrote:

        > De La Soul - The Magic Number - 3 Feet High & Rising
        > [ Somehow this passed me by in 1989 and I just recently got
        > introduced to it - The album draws from all kinds of musical styles,
        > mixes it together, and makes it sound like nobody else. ]

        It's fun, isn't it? Prince Paul (who's also worked with the Beasties and
        done some dense, inspired work both solo and with Dan the Automator as
        Handsome Boy Modeling School) has a lot to do with the crazy-quilt
        production of that album, and if you enjoy it, you may like his other
        projects.

        This song is the basis for one of WRCT's better IDs: 88.3 (is the magic
        number).

        Carl Z.
      • ahacksaw1
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Lance Davis
          <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:

          > The same exact description could work for the Beasties' Paul's
          > Boutique, which came out within a few months of the De La's
          > masterwork. Come to think of it, Paul's is the B-Boys'
          > masterwork.

          Not everyone agrees with me, but I like De La's second album,
          De La Soul Is Dead, almost as much as Three Feet High.
          "Bitties in the BK Lounge" is classic. And their fourth one, Stakes
          Is High, is also excellent. It's a more "serious" record, but it still
          has that De La Soul goofiness, in the best way.

          > Oh, and you're right about Bettie Serveert. Palomine is a
          > destroyer of an album and I think Log 22 might be #2 on their
          > list. White Dogs is one of the greatest songs ever written to
          > simultaneously be influenced by the Velvets and NOT be
          > annoyingly obvious about it.

          I haven't spent enough time with the new Betties record, but I
          loved it on first listen--I think it's their best since Lamprey (which I
          like even better than Palomine, despite the truly atrocious
          production). Right before I got my copy, I dug out Palomine for
          the first time in ages, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well
          it's stood the test of time. What a great record.
        • Lance Davis
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2003
            > Not everyone agrees with me, but I like De La's second album,
            > De La Soul Is Dead, almost as much as Three Feet High.
            > "Bitties in the BK Lounge" is classic. And their fourth one,
            > Stakes Is High, is also excellent. It's a more "serious"
            > record, but it still has that De La Soul goofiness, in the
            > best way.

            Hmmm ... haven't heard Dead since it came out, so maybe I'll
            have to track down a copy somewheres. Never even heard of
            Stakes. I'm clearly outta the lizoop.

            > Lamprey (which I like even better than Palomine, despite the
            > truly atrocious production).

            Speaking of "truly atrocious," despite Bettie being one of my
            top 5 rock bands of the last ten years or so, I have to say they
            have consistently produced the DUMBEST album covers I've ever
            seen. I think Private Suit is the only one that doesn't suck -
            in fact, I think it's pretty cool. But wassup????

            LD ... whose new favorite Bettie song is Auf Weidersehen (no,
            NOT the Cheap Trick song)

            =====
            "What do you expect me to do ... NOT dance with a dog?"
            --Bobby Hill

            http://search.yahoo.com