Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 02, 2003

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2003
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 02, 2003

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New

      Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up - Got Soul! 1960-1973+
      [ Had a request for Curtis Mayfield - I don't think this song was a
      huge hit for Curtis Mayfield but what a great song ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Mable John - Able Mable - Stay Out Of The Kitchen
      [ This set was dedicated to the Stax Museum of American Soul Music
      which opened today (Friday - May 2nd) in Memphis - Mable John's
      brother was Little Willie John & she co-wrote this with her mother ]
      Eddie Floyd - Bring It On Home To Me - Rare Stamps
      [ Upbeat version of the Sam Cooke song with backing by Booker T. &
      The MGs & the Mar-Keys horn section ]
      Otis Redding - Pain In My Heart - The Definitive Otis Redding
      [ This song was written by Otis Redding but he was sued for it
      sounding too much like "Ruler of My Heart" written by Allen
      Toussiant. As a result, the song now is credited to Toussiant. ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Chuck Berry - Tulane - Chuck Berry: The Anthology
      [ Not one of his well-known songs but it rocks mightily ]
      De La Soul - The Magic Number - 3 Feet High & Rising
      [ Somehow this passed me by in 1989 and I just recently got
      introduced to it - The album draws from all kinds of musical styles,
      mixes it together, and makes it sound like nobody else. ]
      Cornershop - Brimful Of Asha - When I Was Born For The Seventh Time
      [ Really cool single that does the same thing De La Soul does only
      with different styles of music - I don't know, the two songs fit
      together to these ears ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down - Past Masters - Vol. 2
      [ This was the "Spanning The Globe" set ]
      The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - 21st Century Rip Off - Behind The Music
      [ Seems like the best rock music has been coming from other
      countries, as of late - This is the third album from this Swedish
      band ]
      Lipstick Killers - Hindu Gods (Of Love) - Tales From The Australian
      Underground: Singles 1976-1989*
      [ Thinks of this new two-CD set as a companion to the wonderful "Do
      The Pop" compilation that came out last year - Virtually no overlap
      in material, either ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Thea Gilmore - Cover Me - Uncut Magazine: Born To Run Vol 1.*
      [ Uncut magazine included a CD compilation of various artists
      covering Bruce Springsteen songs in the last issue (you know, the one
      with Bruce Springsteen on the cover)- This song was recorded
      especially for this compilation ]
      Bettie Serveert - Palomine - Palomine
      [ Until I wrest back my copy of Log 22 (the new CD from Bettie
      Serveert) from a friend, I'll be forced to play songs from this
      Amsterdam band's back catalogue - Palomine ranks among the best rock
      albums of the 90s, in my opinion ]
      Patty Griffin - Stolen Car - 1000 Kisses
      [ One of my favorite Bruce Springsteen covers ever ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Buddy & Julie Miller - Paper Thin - It'll Come To You*
      [ New release which combines previously released cover versions of
      John Hiatt songs with three newly recorded songs -"I was gonna get up
      off that bar stool,
      Just as soon as I could figure it out" ]
      Sam Phillips - River Of Love - The Turning
      [ Recorded when she was still known as Leslie Phillips- Beautiful
      version of this T-Bone Burnett song ]
    • Lance Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2003
        > De La Soul - The Magic Number - 3 Feet High & Rising
        > [ Somehow this passed me by in 1989 and I just recently got
        > introduced to it - The album draws from all kinds of musical
        > styles, mixes it together, and makes it sound like nobody
        > else. ]

        The same exact description could work for the Beasties' Paul's
        Boutique, which came out within a few months of the De La's
        masterwork. Come to think of it, Paul's is the B-Boys'
        masterwork.

        Oh, and you're right about Bettie Serveert. Palomine is a
        destroyer of an album and I think Log 22 might be #2 on their
        list. White Dogs is one of the greatest songs ever written to
        simultaneously be influenced by the Velvets and NOT be
        annoyingly obvious about it.

        LD

        =====
        "You spend half your life trying to turn the other half around."
        --Kathleen Edwards

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Carl Abraham Zimring
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2003
          --On Friday, May 2, 2003 11:37 PM +0000 jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...>
          wrote:

          > De La Soul - The Magic Number - 3 Feet High & Rising
          > [ Somehow this passed me by in 1989 and I just recently got
          > introduced to it - The album draws from all kinds of musical styles,
          > mixes it together, and makes it sound like nobody else. ]

          It's fun, isn't it? Prince Paul (who's also worked with the Beasties and
          done some dense, inspired work both solo and with Dan the Automator as
          Handsome Boy Modeling School) has a lot to do with the crazy-quilt
          production of that album, and if you enjoy it, you may like his other
          projects.

          This song is the basis for one of WRCT's better IDs: 88.3 (is the magic
          number).

          Carl Z.
        • ahacksaw1
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2003
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Lance Davis
            <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:

            > The same exact description could work for the Beasties' Paul's
            > Boutique, which came out within a few months of the De La's
            > masterwork. Come to think of it, Paul's is the B-Boys'
            > masterwork.

            Not everyone agrees with me, but I like De La's second album,
            De La Soul Is Dead, almost as much as Three Feet High.
            "Bitties in the BK Lounge" is classic. And their fourth one, Stakes
            Is High, is also excellent. It's a more "serious" record, but it still
            has that De La Soul goofiness, in the best way.

            > Oh, and you're right about Bettie Serveert. Palomine is a
            > destroyer of an album and I think Log 22 might be #2 on their
            > list. White Dogs is one of the greatest songs ever written to
            > simultaneously be influenced by the Velvets and NOT be
            > annoyingly obvious about it.

            I haven't spent enough time with the new Betties record, but I
            loved it on first listen--I think it's their best since Lamprey (which I
            like even better than Palomine, despite the truly atrocious
            production). Right before I got my copy, I dug out Palomine for
            the first time in ages, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well
            it's stood the test of time. What a great record.
          • Lance Davis
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2003
              > Not everyone agrees with me, but I like De La's second album,
              > De La Soul Is Dead, almost as much as Three Feet High.
              > "Bitties in the BK Lounge" is classic. And their fourth one,
              > Stakes Is High, is also excellent. It's a more "serious"
              > record, but it still has that De La Soul goofiness, in the
              > best way.

              Hmmm ... haven't heard Dead since it came out, so maybe I'll
              have to track down a copy somewheres. Never even heard of
              Stakes. I'm clearly outta the lizoop.

              > Lamprey (which I like even better than Palomine, despite the
              > truly atrocious production).

              Speaking of "truly atrocious," despite Bettie being one of my
              top 5 rock bands of the last ten years or so, I have to say they
              have consistently produced the DUMBEST album covers I've ever
              seen. I think Private Suit is the only one that doesn't suck -
              in fact, I think it's pretty cool. But wassup????

              LD ... whose new favorite Bettie song is Auf Weidersehen (no,
              NOT the Cheap Trick song)

              =====
              "What do you expect me to do ... NOT dance with a dog?"
              --Bobby Hill

              http://search.yahoo.com