Re: WRCT weekly charts

  • Mock the DJ
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2003
      >From: "Steve Gardner" <steve@...>

      >11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids
      >
      >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

      What's your take on The Briefs?

      Steve continued:

      >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
      >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

      I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
      EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
      Velvet Underground songbook."

      Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.

      Paul

    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

        >What's your take on The Briefs?

        I don't know the Briefs. Should I?

        Steve continued:

        >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
        >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

        I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
        EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
        Velvet Underground songbook."

        Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.
        ==

        Exactly.

        steve
      • jeffj@blast.net
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2003
          I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
          spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
          something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
          their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
          haven't heard the Thermals yet.

          Jeff J

          > What's your take on The Briefs?

          This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail
        • Mock the DJ
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            Speaking of Kraftwerk, I'll inform all the faithful Gothees fans out there
            that we will debuting a new song this Saturday at the Warsaw Tavern (in
            Polish Hill) here in Pgh.

            The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra Man"
            with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

            Shameless self plug,
            Paul

            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2003
              I love the Thermals. I saw them at SXSW, too, and they were terrific. They are a four piece. The lead singer looks about 19 years old. He's geeky and he gives it all he's got. Their CD sounds like a more noisy (and less polished) version of the Strokes. They probably would hate it if they heard me say that, but it's true.

              steve
              I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
              spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
              something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
              their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
              haven't heard the Thermals yet.

              Jeff J

              > What's your take on The Briefs?

              This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Carl Abraham Zimring
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                --On Friday, May 2, 2003 12:56 PM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
                wrote:

                > The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra
                > Man" with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                I think you need video screens showing the title credits to Ultra Man
                behind you. I'm not sure exactly where they would fit at the Warsaw, but
                I'm still kind of surprised they can haul amps into that room and not have
                the floor disintegrate.