RE: [fearnwhiskey] PiL/Magazine (was WRCT weekly charts)

  • Dave Purcell
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2003
      Carl Zimring wrote:

      <<I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill
      Laswell-assembled
      band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
      Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
      Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
      masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden
      hard
      rock on _Album_.>>

      I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave
      (though Second Edition holds a very special place in my heart for
      personal reasons). I really dig all the PiL records up to Album. As Carl
      said, they fell off after that.

      I saw PiL open for INXS in Louisville once. It was beautiful. Louisville
      college kids didn't know quite what to make of Lydon, and he kept coming
      up to the edge of the stage saying, "Don't worry, Uncle Johnny won't
      hurt you."

      Anger is an energy,
      dp
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        --On Friday, May 2, 2003 10:45 AM -0400 Dave Purcell <dave@...>
        wrote:

        > I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave

        One of my high-school friends bought an old eight-track tape player at a
        flea market and modified it to record just so he could have _Eight-Track_.

        Carl Z.
      • Mock the DJ
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2003
          >From: "Steve Gardner" <steve@...>

          >11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids
          >
          >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

          What's your take on The Briefs?

          Steve continued:

          >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
          >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

          I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
          EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
          Velvet Underground songbook."

          Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.

          Paul

        • Steve Gardner
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

            >What's your take on The Briefs?

            I don't know the Briefs. Should I?

            Steve continued:

            >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
            >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

            I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
            EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
            Velvet Underground songbook."

            Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.
            ==

            Exactly.

            steve
          • jeffj@blast.net
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2003
              I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
              spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
              something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
              their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
              haven't heard the Thermals yet.

              Jeff J

              > What's your take on The Briefs?

              This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail
            • Mock the DJ
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                Speaking of Kraftwerk, I'll inform all the faithful Gothees fans out there
                that we will debuting a new song this Saturday at the Warsaw Tavern (in
                Polish Hill) here in Pgh.

                The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra Man"
                with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                Shameless self plug,
                Paul

                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                  I love the Thermals. I saw them at SXSW, too, and they were terrific. They are a four piece. The lead singer looks about 19 years old. He's geeky and he gives it all he's got. Their CD sounds like a more noisy (and less polished) version of the Strokes. They probably would hate it if they heard me say that, but it's true.

                  steve
                  I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                  spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                  something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                  their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                  haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                  Jeff J

                  > What's your take on The Briefs?

                  This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Carl Abraham Zimring
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                    --On Friday, May 2, 2003 12:56 PM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
                    wrote:

                    > The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra
                    > Man" with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                    I think you need video screens showing the title credits to Ultra Man
                    behind you. I'm not sure exactly where they would fit at the Warsaw, but
                    I'm still kind of surprised they can haul amps into that room and not have
                    the floor disintegrate.