PiL/Magazine (was WRCT weekly charts)

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2003
      --On Friday, May 2, 2003 9:59 AM -0400 Steve Gardner <steve@...>
      wrote:

      > <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any
      > of
      > their later records worth checking out?
      > =
      > I'm a big fan of this first album, and that's about it. I haven't listened
      > extensively to any of their other stuff, though I do own Second Edition
      > and the Live Album. Second Edition usually gets all the raves, but I'm
      > not that into it. I've also hear the generic Album, but it doesn't do a
      > whole lot for me (though it did when I was a new waven youngster.)

      Every PiL disc is different from the last, in part because just about every
      PiL disc featured a different line-up. The first album has some nice Keith
      Levine guitar lines that The Edge listened to a time or two thousand.
      _Second Edition_ works best if you have very big subwoofers, as Jah
      Wobble's bass is the dominant sound (Lydon's muttering is about third in
      the mix). If you like percussion, _Flowers of Romance_ is your record.
      _This Is What You Want...This Is What You Get_ puts some terrible
      production on some good songs; if you can find Levene's grey-market
      _Commercial Zone_ (put out after he left the band and Lydon wiped his
      guitar parts from _This Is..._), get that for better versions of "This Is
      Not a Love Song" and the great instrumental "The Slab" (which was the
      blueprint for Pray for Rain's entire catalog).

      I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill Laswell-assembled
      band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
      Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
      Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
      masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden hard
      rock on _Album_.

      Then it all went downhill. Despite roping in ex-Magazine guitarist John
      McGeoch and current Mekon Lu Edmonds, the subsequent discs sound like bad
      "modern rock" c. 1987.

      > On another list today someone sent out a message titled "Magazine CDs". I
      > thought it was going to be about the band Magazine, but instead they were
      > talking about CDs that go in magazines. But it got me to thinking. What
      > are your thoughts on Magazine? I have one album of theirs (Secondhand
      > Daylight), but I haven't listened to it in probably a dozen years (mainly
      > because I'm lazy about playing vinyl.)

      You mean the band led by one of my favorite lyricists? The band featuring
      not only McGeoch but the young Barry Adamson. Yeah, I'm a fan. My
      favorite album of theirs is _The Correct Use of Soap_, but I love the whole
      catalog, and the box _Maybe It's Right to Be Nervous Now_ adds many b-sides
      and live tracks in an attractive package.

      _Secondhand Daylight_ may be their least accessible record with its long
      songs, but it's all good.

      Carl Z.
    • Dave Purcell
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        Carl Zimring wrote:

        <<I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill
        Laswell-assembled
        band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
        Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
        Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
        masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden
        hard
        rock on _Album_.>>

        I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave
        (though Second Edition holds a very special place in my heart for
        personal reasons). I really dig all the PiL records up to Album. As Carl
        said, they fell off after that.

        I saw PiL open for INXS in Louisville once. It was beautiful. Louisville
        college kids didn't know quite what to make of Lydon, and he kept coming
        up to the edge of the stage saying, "Don't worry, Uncle Johnny won't
        hurt you."

        Anger is an energy,
        dp
      • Carl Abraham Zimring
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2003
          --On Friday, May 2, 2003 10:45 AM -0400 Dave Purcell <dave@...>
          wrote:

          > I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave

          One of my high-school friends bought an old eight-track tape player at a
          flea market and modified it to record just so he could have _Eight-Track_.

          Carl Z.
        • Mock the DJ
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            >From: "Steve Gardner" <steve@...>

            >11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids
            >
            >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

            What's your take on The Briefs?

            Steve continued:

            >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
            >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

            I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
            EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
            Velvet Underground songbook."

            Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.

            Paul

          • Steve Gardner
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2003
              >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

              >What's your take on The Briefs?

              I don't know the Briefs. Should I?

              Steve continued:

              >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
              >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

              I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
              EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
              Velvet Underground songbook."

              Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.
              ==

              Exactly.

              steve
            • jeffj@blast.net
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                Jeff J

                > What's your take on The Briefs?

                This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail
              • Mock the DJ
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                  Speaking of Kraftwerk, I'll inform all the faithful Gothees fans out there
                  that we will debuting a new song this Saturday at the Warsaw Tavern (in
                  Polish Hill) here in Pgh.

                  The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra Man"
                  with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                  Shameless self plug,
                  Paul

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                    I love the Thermals. I saw them at SXSW, too, and they were terrific. They are a four piece. The lead singer looks about 19 years old. He's geeky and he gives it all he's got. Their CD sounds like a more noisy (and less polished) version of the Strokes. They probably would hate it if they heard me say that, but it's true.

                    steve
                    I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                    spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                    something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                    their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                    haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                    Jeff J

                    > What's your take on The Briefs?

                    This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Carl Abraham Zimring
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                      --On Friday, May 2, 2003 12:56 PM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
                      wrote:

                      > The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra
                      > Man" with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                      I think you need video screens showing the title credits to Ultra Man
                      behind you. I'm not sure exactly where they would fit at the Warsaw, but
                      I'm still kind of surprised they can haul amps into that room and not have
                      the floor disintegrate.