Re: [fearnwhiskey] WRCT weekly charts

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2003
      Speaking of "sounding like", in a recent interview, the Hives said their
      upcoming cd sounds like a cross between the Sex Pistols and Kraftwerk. That
      should be interesting, unless of course it ends up sounding like Public
      Image.
      <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any
      of
      their later records worth checking out?
      =
      I'm a big fan of this first album, and that's about it. I haven't listened
      extensively to any of their other stuff, though I do own Second Edition and
      the Live Album. Second Edition usually gets all the raves, but I'm not that
      into it. I've also hear the generic Album, but it doesn't do a whole lot for
      me (though it did when I was a new waven youngster.)
      =
      Jeff J, who is also digging Black Lipstick and will be looking for some
      Feelies
      vinyl at this weekend's WFMU record fair in NYC
      =

      On another list today someone sent out a message titled "Magazine CDs". I
      thought it was going to be about the band Magazine, but instead they were
      talking about CDs that go in magazines. But it got me to thinking. What are
      your thoughts on Magazine? I have one album of theirs (Secondhand Daylight),
      but I haven't listened to it in probably a dozen years (mainly because I'm
      lazy about playing vinyl.)

      steve
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        --On Friday, May 2, 2003 9:59 AM -0400 Steve Gardner <steve@...>
        wrote:

        > <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any
        > of
        > their later records worth checking out?
        > =
        > I'm a big fan of this first album, and that's about it. I haven't listened
        > extensively to any of their other stuff, though I do own Second Edition
        > and the Live Album. Second Edition usually gets all the raves, but I'm
        > not that into it. I've also hear the generic Album, but it doesn't do a
        > whole lot for me (though it did when I was a new waven youngster.)

        Every PiL disc is different from the last, in part because just about every
        PiL disc featured a different line-up. The first album has some nice Keith
        Levine guitar lines that The Edge listened to a time or two thousand.
        _Second Edition_ works best if you have very big subwoofers, as Jah
        Wobble's bass is the dominant sound (Lydon's muttering is about third in
        the mix). If you like percussion, _Flowers of Romance_ is your record.
        _This Is What You Want...This Is What You Get_ puts some terrible
        production on some good songs; if you can find Levene's grey-market
        _Commercial Zone_ (put out after he left the band and Lydon wiped his
        guitar parts from _This Is..._), get that for better versions of "This Is
        Not a Love Song" and the great instrumental "The Slab" (which was the
        blueprint for Pray for Rain's entire catalog).

        I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill Laswell-assembled
        band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
        Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
        Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
        masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden hard
        rock on _Album_.

        Then it all went downhill. Despite roping in ex-Magazine guitarist John
        McGeoch and current Mekon Lu Edmonds, the subsequent discs sound like bad
        "modern rock" c. 1987.

        > On another list today someone sent out a message titled "Magazine CDs". I
        > thought it was going to be about the band Magazine, but instead they were
        > talking about CDs that go in magazines. But it got me to thinking. What
        > are your thoughts on Magazine? I have one album of theirs (Secondhand
        > Daylight), but I haven't listened to it in probably a dozen years (mainly
        > because I'm lazy about playing vinyl.)

        You mean the band led by one of my favorite lyricists? The band featuring
        not only McGeoch but the young Barry Adamson. Yeah, I'm a fan. My
        favorite album of theirs is _The Correct Use of Soap_, but I love the whole
        catalog, and the box _Maybe It's Right to Be Nervous Now_ adds many b-sides
        and live tracks in an attractive package.

        _Secondhand Daylight_ may be their least accessible record with its long
        songs, but it's all good.

        Carl Z.
      • Dave Purcell
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2003
          Carl Zimring wrote:

          <<I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill
          Laswell-assembled
          band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
          Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
          Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
          masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden
          hard
          rock on _Album_.>>

          I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave
          (though Second Edition holds a very special place in my heart for
          personal reasons). I really dig all the PiL records up to Album. As Carl
          said, they fell off after that.

          I saw PiL open for INXS in Louisville once. It was beautiful. Louisville
          college kids didn't know quite what to make of Lydon, and he kept coming
          up to the edge of the stage saying, "Don't worry, Uncle Johnny won't
          hurt you."

          Anger is an energy,
          dp
        • Carl Abraham Zimring
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            --On Friday, May 2, 2003 10:45 AM -0400 Dave Purcell <dave@...>
            wrote:

            > I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave

            One of my high-school friends bought an old eight-track tape player at a
            flea market and modified it to record just so he could have _Eight-Track_.

            Carl Z.
          • Mock the DJ
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2003
              >From: "Steve Gardner" <steve@...>

              >11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids
              >
              >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

              What's your take on The Briefs?

              Steve continued:

              >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
              >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

              I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
              EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
              Velvet Underground songbook."

              Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.

              Paul

            • Steve Gardner
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

                >What's your take on The Briefs?

                I don't know the Briefs. Should I?

                Steve continued:

                >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
                >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

                I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
                EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
                Velvet Underground songbook."

                Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.
                ==

                Exactly.

                steve
              • jeffj@blast.net
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                  I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                  spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                  something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                  their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                  haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                  Jeff J

                  > What's your take on The Briefs?

                  This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail
                • Mock the DJ
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                    Speaking of Kraftwerk, I'll inform all the faithful Gothees fans out there
                    that we will debuting a new song this Saturday at the Warsaw Tavern (in
                    Polish Hill) here in Pgh.

                    The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra Man"
                    with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                    Shameless self plug,
                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                      I love the Thermals. I saw them at SXSW, too, and they were terrific. They are a four piece. The lead singer looks about 19 years old. He's geeky and he gives it all he's got. Their CD sounds like a more noisy (and less polished) version of the Strokes. They probably would hate it if they heard me say that, but it's true.

                      steve
                      I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                      spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                      something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                      their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                      haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                      Jeff J

                      > What's your take on The Briefs?

                      This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Carl Abraham Zimring
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                        --On Friday, May 2, 2003 12:56 PM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
                        wrote:

                        > The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra
                        > Man" with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                        I think you need video screens showing the title credits to Ultra Man
                        behind you. I'm not sure exactly where they would fit at the Warsaw, but
                        I'm still kind of surprised they can haul amps into that room and not have
                        the floor disintegrate.